Sad times

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
To be honest, GC are not made up of "pro" players. There are a couple, but most of their players aren't noted as being "elite". They got very lucky with circumstances at the start of the round. They weren't the best attackers, they weren't the most active for the round start, they didn't develop any quicker than the other top alliances. Things just went their way and they took full advantage of every opportunity (please don't see this as criticism. It is always necessary for a good alliance to jump on any opportunity). Asphyxia were rank 1 and they got teamed up on and taken down by NOMW. Then Asphyxia and GC teamed up on NOMW.

Then Asphyxia disbanded (which GC knew about beforehand and when it happened they already had loads of mobs outgoing on Asphyxia members). This gave them a massive advantage and pretty much killed the round off. While there were still 2 opposing alliances the round was wide open. Asphyxia and NOMW could've killed GC pretty easily at that stage, I think. But when Asphyxia disbanded GC took most of their land, and a couple of their biggest members, leaving it as a 1 vs 1 with GC being far bigger than NOMW, and also NOMW not being massively motivated since we were still recovering from a beating at that time.

At the moment even the ranks 2-4 wouldn't be able to take down GC (miracles not withstanding). What we found the first time we tried to resist against them is that although their defence might not have been that great, they always got every member online. This meant that they didn't really have to defend. They just had to send out and last tick each attack with protesters.

In the end their contactability, activity, and also dedication, was such that a lot of people felt we were wasting our time. A few times we felt like we almost had them, but then all our attackers logged off for the night like chumps. In the end they were just more commited than the resistance were.

The reason the lower ranks don't get included much in resistances is that, firstly, they don't have as many troops as the bigger alliances (kind of obvious). But also, they don't have the same sort of commitment to taking out the rank 1 alliance. They have nothing to gain from it. Usually when asked they will say they are willing to join in, and then when the time comes to attack they back out with some excuse. And even when they do join in they only commit like 2 or 3 attackers, who have less troops combined than 1 of the bigger alliance's members.

As well as this, there is the trust issue. The top couple of alliances can usually trust that the other isn't going to rat them out, but the further down the rankings you go, the less trustworthy the members. The top 2-4 ranks are both trying to kill the rank 1 for their own motives (to take rank 1 themselves), but the lower ones don't have anything to gain. And there are always some of those in the lower alliances who are friendly with people in rank 1, so when they hear about a resistance, they tell their mates, and any element of surprise is lost (surprise being pretty important usually, since that's the best way to catch them off guard and possibly they will make mistakes).

The reason no alliance gets close to rank 1 is that they currently hold all the top ranks. The best any other alliance can do is get in range of the top. As soon as a member gets big enough they just get bashed to **** by the rank 1 alliance, making it 100% impossible to outgrow them.

Essays ftw.

PS: Sorry this isn't in haiku format, Souls :p

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
I 1000% agree with Toby, pretty much everything I was/wanted to say without actually being arsed to say it.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Having 4/5 poms in an alliance just makes it so easy.
Each one could stop 6/7 incs EACH if they had the mobs.
This meant just defend people who wanted to sleep with lets and then pom the rest.

All it took to organise was :

Main chan: "x% lets to x,x,x,x. Fake x. We will pom the rest. All mobs the same".
A chan with the 4 poms, 4 SD + 2 Stun players in another room: "Right: A, you defend x,x,x and send your pom to x, B you defend .... etc. Whereever it looked like they had bikers - SD and stun it.

Would organise all defence with the poms in about 20 minutes and had 10-15 minutes to set mobs up and send, seeing where it seemed their lets are by the stealth addidtions and Pomming these. Guru's go to striker players etc.

^ this is some tip for w/e ally btw if you get mass incs.

Reminded me alot of Interlude.
Contactability > Activity.

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
wouldn't work for anybody other than a rank 1 by far alliance, not for long anyways.

edit: although I suppose it depends on the intelligence level of your enemy :p

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
As someone who's relatively new to the game (this will be my first full round when it's over), my perception of things is possibly a little different. I may well be wrong, but I will happily be corrected.

GC seem to be formed of the "elite", the pros - they played for the win relentlessly at the start, managed to stay together when Asphyxia split and are now just sitting back smugly knowing that no single alliance can touch them, and that rank 2/3/4 won't trust each other enough to team up and take them down.

GC sucked at the start. We were 3rd/4th for most of it. In fact, in terms of raw skill, NOMW are probably far better than GC. GC just got a bit lucky and managed to take advantage of the situation well.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
As someone who's relatively new to the game (this will be my first full round when it's over), my perception of things is possibly a little different. I may well be wrong, but I will happily be corrected.

GC seem to be formed of the "elite", the pros - they played for the win relentlessly at the start, managed to stay together when Asphyxia split and are now just sitting back smugly knowing that no single alliance can touch them, and that rank 2/3/4 won't trust each other enough to team up and take them down.

GC sucked at the start. We were 3rd/4th for most of it. In fact, in terms of raw skill, NOMW are probably far better than GC. GC just got a bit lucky and managed to take advantage of the situation well.

The 4-5 Days of 2vs1 on NOMW took a lot out of our original lineup this round. It was pretty brutal to be on the receiving end (as i'm sure many people know) and it broke at least some players. I played pretty appallingly all round but that week was particularly bad.

TaO

Tree Surgeon

Can't deny that.
I only had 4 people of the so called "elite" class in my original line up.
We have been very lucky and have been taking advantage on every single mistake/misstep any other alliance has made.