Scum of the Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram

Head Gardener
I'd like to say im suprised. But I'd be lieing.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
There's three important things to note;

1: Giving your phone-number out over the internet can lead to troublesome situations where real life is disturbed by "internet idiots". In the same way you wouldn't give your address out, I would never advise giving your phone-number out to anybody on the internet - certainly not on a "public list/post" where anyone that joins the alliance can see it - perhaps a "private list" only visible to officers of the alliance (using the "security level" feature of politics) would be the safest bet if you absolutely must publicise your phone number in the game (something I discourage). Then if somebody needs to get you online, you can rely on trusted members of the alliance. If you want any and everyone including brand new members to the ally to see all your personal real life info, then don't be suprised when something bad happens.

Must quote... I spent 1 minute on google and found my phone number very easily. Directly under link to page with lots of others numbers... Yet no one has ever pranked me... must be cause of respect or something... weird isnt it...

TaO

Tree Surgeon
There's three important things to note;

1: Giving your phone-number out over the internet can lead to troublesome situations where real life is disturbed by "internet idiots". In the same way you wouldn't give your address out, I would never advise giving your phone-number out to anybody on the internet - certainly not on a "public list/post" where anyone that joins the alliance can see it - perhaps a "private list" only visible to officers of the alliance (using the "security level" feature of politics) would be the safest bet if you absolutely must publicise your phone number in the game (something I discourage). Then if somebody needs to get you online, you can rely on trusted members of the alliance. If you want any and everyone including brand new members to the ally to see all your personal real life info, then don't be suprised when something bad happens.

Must quote... I spent 1 minute on google and found my phone number very easily. Directly under link to page with lots of others numbers... Yet no one has ever pranked me... must be cause of respect or something... weird isnt it...

Same here.
My phone, name etc all can be found on the internet, easiest as hell, i can be found in the phonebook. Now over 16million people in Holland that have acces to my number, but you see them useless pranking?

Like BW said, Respect respect and respect.
If you can't win the game, play it.
If you can't play the game, learn it.

Play the game by its rules, and stick to them.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Can not will, and the fact this is only the second such incident I can recall happening to this scale in 7 years, goes to show that it's a big "can" and a very tiny "will", but people should still take precautions - especially given that unlike a random list on the internet, here is a game where you will constantly be around people who are your "enemies" - and if their morality and captain-cool compasses have hit rock bottom, some of them will "turn bad". Even with the threat of being banned. A very sensible, obvious, and easy precaution that would have stopped this incident would be using the security levels of politics threads.

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
maybe a suggestiong that allies should use the security level in threads to project this kind of sensitive information in future.

Not a bad suggestion, truth told.

In other news, this is pretty piss-poor behaviour.

What is the use of this security level?
all new member in your alliance must be able to prank in case its needed, if you cant let them view the thread, there is no use for the thread nor the security level.

I'm surprised this needs too be explained- you only let a core few have access to the numbers, of course spreading it so it covers all TZs. There may arise a circumstance where one of these people isn't online, but could perhaps be HLed on. It isn't perfect, Matt just made a suggestion and it would, undeniably, work to some extent; particularly in an active alliance where contactability is the be all and end all.

Whilst these events are truly deplorable, if you can't run the risk of this happening for whatever reason, it is better to not give contacts out at all.

TaO

Tree Surgeon
maybe a suggestiong that allies should use the security level in threads to project this kind of sensitive information in future.

Not a bad suggestion, truth told.

In other news, this is pretty piss-poor behaviour.

What is the use of this security level?
all new member in your alliance must be able to prank in case its needed, if you cant let them view the thread, there is no use for the thread nor the security level.

I'm surprised this needs too be explained- you only let a core few have access to the numbers, of course spreading it so it covers all TZs. There may arise a circumstance where one of these people isn't online, but could perhaps be HLed on. It isn't perfect, Matt just made a suggestion and it would, undeniably, work to some extent; particularly in an active alliance where contactability is the be all and end all.

Whilst these events are truly deplorable, if you can't run the risk of this happening for whatever reason, it is better to not give contacts out at all.

A few days ago someone pretending to be Signpost applied to join RebelRapeRepeat. Assuming this was *the* Signpost, I happily accepted him. Turns out it was not, he was a spy for members of the resistance. I accept that whilst spies are utter scum, it is part of the game and I know that I shouldn't have been so trusting.

If people you trust are unloyal, and seem to be less trustworthy as you would have thought, then how would it work?

I assume, that if you trust someone you have been playing with before, give some more acces.
You never know who will, and when they will backstab you.
Even an officer is able to backstab you by passing on details.

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
If you can't trust even your officers, then i would suggest you are in the wrong alliance...

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Set examples with bans.
Will stop it in the future.

I had this a few rounds back but i blocked their number.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Azzy I think its 3rd time, as far as I recall... and we didnt have these problems for once before rounds after 10 or so (except one hilarious call from Tim for me)... thats why I counted about once in 5-7 rounds.

marvin

Tree Surgeon
As for the resistance pranking you in the middle of the night I'd like to make sure EVERYBODY knows that it was said in the resistance channel AS A JOKE. It was *NEVER* intended to actually happen, nor was it purposefully. I know of ONE case where Lukey was pranked - That is because Lukey woke up the offener the night before. I think another drunk person may have pranked someone thinking we were being serious.

I never actually got round to pranking him, in retaliation. I said I was going too and yeh I had planned to but always forgot. This lead to a running joke which carried in to the resistance channel as you can see from toby's log's. Ollie was so ballbagged (drunk - everyone here should know how easy it is to do something without any thought under the influence) he actually went ahead and did it a few times there and then, which he has since apologised publicly and made the effort to apologise further via in-game mail and IRC. I've no idea who has been doing it since and pretty sure it would be noone in Emnity.

Apologies to Polo for handing out his Number/Nick/ID like that, in hindsight it wasn't the cleverest thing to do and saying it was all part of the joke would just be using an excuse.

However if I'm to understand correctly, and disregard anything below if I am wrong, I am one of said 'scum of the earth' that you're accusing.

<******> Polo is accusing you of pranking their members
<******> And reporting you
<marvinRawr> lmfao
<marvinRawr> Srsly?
<******> Yes
<marvinRawr> How'd you hear this?
<******> Logs

Now if I had to hear that from someone outside of the RRR alliance who saw it from another persons logs it most likely means you've been running your mouth to anyone that would listen, or your members have been. Basically dragging my (fairly good-ish) name through the mud.

All Northern Ireland house numbers begin with 028, mine ends in 518.

My mobile number is 07742***997. (Lukey can confirm this)

Let me know if I'm one of those 'scum of the earth' and simply confront me next time rather than spreading false information. :/

Matthew

BANNED
I think they should be banned too, just because aheads been part of it and he's a right wanker aint he.

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
If you read his post he never actually did it - As I said - It was a joke in the resistance channel.

Garrett

Landscape Designer
yes some people thought it would be funny and didn't do it but obviously some have. and it's people from that channel.

they need to stop, apologize, and then seek help for their issues.

Matthew

BANNED
Iamsmart I swear to god you want to put your love length into Aheads rabbit hole. You defend everything he does, when RRR **** on him you pretty much changed your nick to "Iammourningaheadsloss" and now you come riding your noble white horse to defend you mister lover lover again. It's getting gay, very very gay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.