RA3!

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
Re: RA3!

Alvestein said:
darksider, prisms suck vs Units. :) a few ivans will have those expensive tanks turned into scraps within seconds.

now if you were to have a tanya in an IVF, 2 mirage tanks and 2 prism tanks. chrono into the enemies base. you practically win.

Pfft, ever faced an entire map-full of Prisms with a bunch of ivans? They stand no chance.

Bunion

Harvester

I remember back when RA2 was first released, the hype was about more tactical battles, where massing wouldn't work. There was a video of a mammoth tank swarm on an Allied base, defended by prism towers...it was a massacre :p

Alvestein

Garden Designer

so.....>.>.......mammoth tanks ARE the ownage though. and i believe they're called apocalpyse tanks ¬_¬

Bunion

Harvester

Hush! They're mammoths! They have always been mammoths and they'll be mammoths forever!!

vlad

Harvester

Bunion said:
Hush! They're mammoths! They have always been mammoths and they'll be mammoths forever!!

thats C&C .. but yeah, i'm the same ..
You can get away with it being the same game series i suppose.

CLem

Head Gardener

Alvestein said:
darksider, prisms suck vs Units. :) a few ivans will have those expensive tanks turned into scraps within seconds.

now if you were to have a tanya in an IVF, 2 mirage tanks and 2 prism tanks. chrono into the enemies base. you practically win.

prisms ****ing own once they are upgraded, i always have a sniper in an upgraded IVF as well i found them MUCH better than putting machine gun ones, go close to the enermy base and *bup bup bup* all human troops dead.

Another thing that i did was kamikazi Kirovs right into their base if i got soviet or have fun with nuclear trucks lol

kyx

Harvester

demo trucks are nice, i like to put 4 of them in an amphibious transport ans send them straight into the enemy's base.

prisms are actually quite good, they do good damage against many units but are weak against apocalypse and air.

they are mammoth tanks in tiberium wars and RA, but in RA2 and YR they were apocalypse tanks.

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

change the .ini file so you can buy einstein and change his fire rate to a nano second :O

the good old days 8)

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator

I made some absolutely awesome mods and missions back in the day. RA2 still has a very strong modding community actually! I was quite surprised at how long it's lived so far. But then I realised what I was surprised about and figured it was quite normal. All in all, the above sentence is pointless.

Baaaaaaack to the topic:
I'm a bit skeptical about RA3. I've not really been a fan of the whole '3D interface' for the C&C series. It worked (sort of) for Generals, but then again you can't really call that a proper C&C game. EA made C&C3 quite awful, if we're honest, so I'm very doubtful as to what they'll end up doing to RA3. Bring back the awesome times of 2D interfaces.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

I played first time C&C3 after i had played supreme commander... it so sucked!
Its interface was so poor and you just couldnt get high enought from surface to do anything in it. Its whole unit system felt so bad and no matter how long i played it didnt get any better. It was entertaining cause it had nice videos tho... but as game and on game play... it was awfull to be honest.

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator

Seems opinions diverse once again. :p

I liked C&C3. Liked, not loved. It didn't have the Tiberian Sun or RA2 'feel' to it, but hey, it's a new game after all! Being quite active on a big cnc website and forum, in general reactions on the game has been positive in that community. We'll see about RA3, though. I don't like them removing Soviet nukes, naval combat is crucial, and a Japanese faction, erhm yerr?

Whatever it is they decide to do, it will work. Its the one thing all the CnC games have held in common, whether it was a new idea, or the continuation of the old, the games have worked and they have all been good. Some better than others, some maybe some of us regret spending a full $60 on, but they've all been enjoyable games.

Some pointers - http://forums.cncden.com/showthread.php?t=22890
Screenshots - http://forums.cncden.com/showthread.php?t=22857

Bunion

Harvester

CnC3 is a good game, unlike the two shockers before it of Tiberium Sun and Generals. The engine is beautiful on high graphics, the art is great, the only issue is that the Scrin are what my friends like to call "The new Yuri", especially with Devastator Warships receiving a stupidly unneeded buff in 1.09!

As for RA3, what I've seen so far looks good, with the only worry is that Japan (Rising Sun, w/e) are going to be "The next Yuri", stupidly overpowered with silly concepts and no actual direction (think GDI armour, NOD stealth).

Alvestein

Garden Designer

i agree, i liked CnC3. alot more then Generals. the graphics are amazing on CnC3 (if you have a good enough pc) but i agree that RA2 is still the best so far, probably because it was so smooth and i dont know what but i suspect something to do with the gameplay made it so addictivly good(something which no one who is a fan of the CnC games can disagree with). tbh does anyone know why Westwood disbanded when they had done such a good job??

Maxi

Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator

Westwood studios was disbanded by EA Games, and absorbed into EALA, but most of the Westwood staff went off and created a new company called Petroglyph. (Universe at War & Star Wars: Empire at War)

Gotta love Frank Klepacki btw, for his awesome games music ; Hell March - http://youtube.com/watch?v=srqOjppHqTo

"We want war, wake up!" :twisted:

Yang

Harvester

CNC3 was a dissapointment IMO as it was the same as any old RTS out there.

Not enough new innovations were introduced to it to distinguish it from the others.

CNC kinda has gone downhill after EA took over Westwood...

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator

Westwood Studious was bought by EA in... 1998(?) and from there it slowly went downhill. RA2 came out, no problem, but their next venture - C&C: Renegade - was such a flop that EA decided to liquidate Westwood and merge the remaining employees into it's core company - EA LA (I think it was LA...).

Couple of Westwood employees broke out into a company called Petroglyph though. They've been responsible for Star Wars: Empire at War, and Universe at War: Earth Assault (both of which were pretty good). More to come from them in the future mehopes!

Edit: damn you Maxi!

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator

Don't think I have them anymore.... they were at least 3 hard drives ago. Might be on one of my int-to-ext drives (internal IDE hooked up to external chassis'), I'll check when I get some free time.
I had one total conversion mod - changed every side, etc. Worked....fairly well :p
And numerous game change mods, including plenty - plenty - of additional units, some crafted by me, others I just got the models from people. I even made a conversion for Tanya with a sort of winter-coat, much like the one Jolie wears in Tomb Raider. It looked awesome!