Awards

• Also keep awards that require pure luck to achieve

Votes: 42 64.6%
  • I want all awards to be colectable through skill

Votes: 23 35.4%

• Total voters

Illumination

Head Gardener
I like both sets of awards. I do, however, think that there should be a separation of skill based and luck based awards. If points are awarded (I dont see the need for points at all), but if they are indeed awarded, its not really a fair system that some people have more points because they had 4 hamsters in a round:p

Maybe have "fun" awards granting you jewels or something to decorate your profile? :p Diamonds please for me...long and dangly.

Silence

Head Gardener
I don't see why the awards are not extended.

Have two sets of awards. One for random funny awards and one for the more serious I-want-to-collect-them-by-playing-active awards.

In my opinion create more funny silly awards and more skillful awards and have two seperate tables. Then we can see someone who hardly plays perhaps leading on the silly awards which would be nice as opposed to the same players dominating the awards

In short, make two award lists, one silly, one serious. I think then it would cater to everyones tastes. Those who wish to play active can collect the 'harder' awards. And those who find it all a bit of a joke can see what 'rarer' awards they have attained.

Illumination

Head Gardener
A couple of awards that may be worth thought that don't require huge amounts of skill but still could earn "points" could be:

"Loyal T"- a player that stayed in the same alliance all round.
"Bush potato"- a player that has a certain amount of time online.
"Warring Nation"- a member of an alliance that officially declared 3 wars that round.

And I think it would be fun to award a "Yellow Belly" or "C 4 Coward" award that negates all gains that would have been made that round if the member participates in a power block. Brand the *******s:p

LAFiN

Tree Surgeon
There is a loyal T kinda award already I believe.

Yea, it is called Loyalist and you can achieve it by playing basically 3 full rounds without going solo (used to be you had to be in 1 alliance, but with game mechanic changes you just can't become solo).

Changer

Head Gardener
Well there is, but with the new rules on instantly changing alliance it has changed. Last round I changed alliances but still got the award for being in an alliance all round (well 3 rounds) As i was never classed as solo. Don't know if this needs to be changed or not.

LAFiN beat me to it :p

No-Dachi

Official Helper
Well let's look at the "random" awards that DarkSider wants to remove;

On the Road to Hell - Get 2 hamsters in a round.
Hot Hamster Loving - Get 4 hamsters in a round.
Lucky in Love - 3 valentine's day messages in a round.
Trick or Treat - 3 Halloween messages in a round.
Gunpowder, Treason & Plot - 3 bonfire night messages in a round.
Ho Ho Ho - 3 Christmas mesages in a round.
Invisibly Intelligent - You can't control when you will or won't be detected.

That's 7 awards total that are nothing but chance related. And they are all quite novelty/fun related. Doesn't anyone else think they're kinda quirky/cool/fun?

If I got Hot Hamster Loving, I wouldn't be keeping quiet thinking "Meh, not my doing", I'd be having a laugh and saying to people "Omg look, I got FOUR hamsters in a single round!!! :D :D". Sure it'd just be LUCK, but it's an ACHIEVEMENT - because of it's rarity!

Those 6 awards are all just a bit of fun, they aren't damaging or ruining your skill based awards, and they only come to a total of 35 award points out of a total of 1125 possible award points (or out of 1065 if you discount the 4 currently unachievable ones). To me it sounds like a really petty "Oh, well, I don't like the novelty ones I just want to win everything have a wall full of every award in the game and pwn everyone".

Bushtarion's got a lot of comedy and spoof elements in it, and some novelty/fun/silly things that can happen. As long as they're not drastically controlling the outcome of the game, then I think they do nothing but add to the "personality" of Bushtarion. It's not all numberchasing :)

I'm totally with you on this one. I don't see the fuss. It's a game, it's fun, and it's not the be all or end all of anything at all. Get over it.

Matt

Harvester
just going with DS theory on rewards being skill based, whats so skill based about buying 5 Bush Creds for the Blue Prints?

Would you also want these removed aswell, since these are not achieveable by pure skill.

id like to see more novel rewards,

and yes im one of these people who do loads of hax's n drive by's etc... hoping i may get hold of a random reward.

CFalcon

Official Helper
I'm totally with DS on this, and you're all getting him wrong.

It's not about skill vs silly, or hardcore vs fun. I think I'd be right in saying that DS wouldn't give a damn if you created a 1000 new awards that had *nothing* to do with skill or activity. As long as you could work towards them.

Take the havoc awards, the rank 69/666 awards, dove of peace, the name awards or the other intel awards. None of them have anything to do with skill, or proving that you're better or anything. The point is that it is possible to work towards them.

Nobody's saying you can't have fun awards. But why can't you have fun awards that can be worked towards? Even if that work is the most ridiculous/silly/pointless/funny task.

Please stop saying 'don't be a kill-joy'. You're missing the point.

Crumpet

Harvester

It's not about skill vs silly, or hardcore vs fun. I think I'd be right in saying that DS wouldn't give a damn if you created a 1000 new awards that had *nothing* to do with skill or activity. As long as you could work towards them.

Take the havoc awards, the rank 69/666 awards, dove of peace, the name awards or the other intel awards. None of them have anything to do with skill, or proving that you're better or anything. The point is that it is possible to work towards them.

Nobody's saying you can't have fun awards. But why can't you have fun awards that can be worked towards? Even if that work is the most ridiculous/silly/pointless/funny task.

I get what he was saying but where is the element of surprise then!? It's fun to see what random award you may have gotten! It's kind of a thrill to see if you chanced apon it and which one you may have gotten.

Why does everything have to be work :/ It's awesome getting something that's a bit of a surprise without having to work for it every once in a while...

CFalcon

Official Helper

I get what he was saying but where is the element of surprise then!? It's fun to see what random award you may have gotten! It's kind of a thrill to see if you chanced apon it and which one you may have gotten.

Why does everything have to be work :/ It's awesome getting something that's a bit of a surprise without having to work for it every once in a while...

Because some people *do* want to work towards having all the awards.

And, it's perfectly possible to get a 'nice surprise' by getting an award that you weren't knowingly working for at all, while it still being possible for other people to work for it. I've just got loyalist, I had no idea such an award existed and wasn't trying to get it, and I'll agree it was a pleasant surprise. But there's probably someone somewhere who has worked towards getting that.

'Random nice surprise' and 'can be worked towards' aren't mutually exclusive.

First 'collecting' analogy that springs to mind (dunno what this says about me) is pokemon on the gameboy. Some people will work very hard to try and "catch 'em all", and will spend alot of time and effort exploring everwhere, doing all the mini-quests etc. Others will sometimes without trying manage to run into the rare ones that others have been working for ages to get.
But wouldn't it be infuriating if the game designers had made it so, on top of someone else randomly getting a particular pokemon without meaning to, that they had made it so that the hard worker *couldn't* catch it, no matter how much work they put in.

If you can't see why somebody (not necessarily you) would find that painfully frustrating, you need to broaden your mind.

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator

I can't say anything more than I completely agree with CFalcoln here.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
i like the random awards, and they certainly aren't the overwhelming percentage of awards.

There are enough skill based achievements to balance out the luck based ones. Cheer up DS :)

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
I am voting for random awards. This way all these uber n0b0s like DS cant boos their e-penis cause they might never get all these awards and some noob might get those they never catches...

Priceless.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon
Go stalk somebody else BW.

And yeah Cfalcon is spot on, i didn't choose the right words when i said skill vs luck it's more like awards you can chase vs the ones you have no control over.
I'm even fine with having 100 total random ones as long as they're not on same table :p
I imagine plenty ppl liked to colect figurines/gum pictures or whatever when they where kiddos, and it was a very fun aim to complete the entire set. It feels so bad to buy surprise eggs with parts of a super robot and you find out you can never complete it because some parts are not for sale :s

No-Dachi

Official Helper
That's not an adequate analogy DS, as these items are on sale, it's just random whether you get them or not.

I get your frustration, as you're obviously aiming for a full table. However, along all those rounds it'll take you to complete it, you should be able to hit a few of the random ones too. If not, then the next challenge will be playing enough to get them ;)

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
To help alleviate the awful agony of having no control over certain awards... two new changes are now in place:

1: If a company proves itself demonic enough (has exactly £6,666,666,666 funds... no more, no less), then every time a hamster from hell moves to a new company, there is a chance (roughly 10% chance) they will sniff out a person with the demonic funds and visit them, instead of a random ID. If they do visit you because of this demonic fund amount, then the minions from hell will take the funds from you as a tribute to the satanic hamsters! It's still random, but you can vastly improve your chances if, one round, you wish to make every effort to seek out these demonic hamsters. Just be prepared to pay for the privelege... ;)

2: Being online during the in-game events greatly increases your chances of being included in said in-game events... so if you're really wanting to take part in the halloween festivities, for instance, then make sure you've been online that tick!

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There is a loyal T kinda award already I believe.
Yea, it is called Loyalist and you can achieve it by playing basically 3 full rounds without going solo (used to be you had to be in 1 alliance, but with game mechanic changes you just can't become solo).

Cheers, this bug is now fixed. You now have to be in the same alliance the entire round, in other words, your "jumped_ship" stat has to be no higher than 1 (every alliance you join, it increases by 1), you have to have never been solo (so you have to have been in an alliance before any ticks hit your ID as a solo), and your ID has to have been in the round for at least 10900 (in other words, no new ID's that signed up near the end of a round and tried to get this classification!).

So a "loyalist" must truly be loyal :)

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I think the award setup atm is fine. Enough 'skill' based ones, with the odd 'lottery' based ones dispersed amongst them

Completely agree.

The balance is fine at the moment. There needs to be a certain amount of randomness everywhere, otherwise the world collapses ;).