• Also keep awards that require pure luck to achieve

Votes: 42 64.6%
  • I want all awards to be colectable through skill

Votes: 23 35.4%

• Total voters

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon
DarkSider says:
Can you change all awards that are not rewardeble anymore to something that players can achieve?
DarkSider says:
And would be ace if you also changed the totally random ones like get caught only 5% scans or get haloween messages etc :/
DarkSider says:
Gives awards more creditibility if they can all be achieved through skill and perseverance
Azzer says:
Some are just for fun
Azzer says:
It's not all about numberchasing
Azzer says:
Which is why you don't like them
Azzer says:
Cos you're a hardcore (and a good!) numberchaser!
DarkSider says:
i hate it when they say " for fun". Humans are competitive they want to get it all !
DarkSider says:
i want all the awards !!! :p
Azzer says:
Sometimes they just want the enjoyment of fun
Azzer says:
The lottery is random, not skillful, but look how many billions of people do lotteries all over the world!
DarkSider says:
You get your fun your way i get my fun my way
DarkSider says:

DarkSider says:
yeah but the reward there is well worth it
DarkSider says:
Yours it's like giving titles in army totally random
DarkSider says:
instead who deserves them
Azzer says:
Lottery gives rewards only to those who deserve them?
Azzer says:
Newb
Azzer says:
Argument fail
DarkSider says:
who cares about lottery here .. it's a war game we don't have random army and random land grabs
Azzer says:
Yeah the war game still exists :0
DarkSider says:
this bush stuff is about skill not luck
Azzer says:
The achievements is a side-venture, branching out to appease some number-chasers for the hardcore achievements, and some novelty lottery players for the random achievements.
Azzer says:
You'll note the random achievements all have very low points, in general, with a couple that are so exceptionally rare they give better points.
Azzer says:
But all the REAL points come from the skillful awards - particularly stat grandmaster
DarkSider says:
I'm so gonna make a forum pool so you can see the random part takes it's credibility away
Azzer says:
Go for it, but don't "Load" the poll with opinions that swing people one way or the other, got to make the options neutral for a fair vote

So what would you prefere ? :p

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I see no problem with the current awards. A lot of them are skill-based and indeed quite difficult to achieve? (IMO :p)

I see your point though. And I'd agree it'd be nice to have more "skill" based awards.

There's a problem with that though. Skill is qualitative - it can't be easily measured - especially in game.

I suggest you put forth specific awards rather than saying "we need one or the other" - because I'm of the opinion that both would be great but just "fun" awards are fine too.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I see no harm in having "novelty" or "fun" awards, for rare situations/circumstances. I don't think every single thing, top to bottom, in the entire of Bushtarion should be geared towards number-chasers/power-players only.

But to offset that, the award points given for awards that are more based on "luck", are generally far lower than the difficult awards that require "skill" or "time".

I'm of the opinion that this is the plea of a numberchaser, wanting to prove his abilities to the world by "winning/getting everything" without ever having to wait for luck or chance to have a role in it.

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon
Skill awards are fun too, call them lottery awards or random etc :p
You can get plenty if you think for a bit ..
Just land based - First to 1k, first to 10k, biggest land grab, over 50k at any point in the round, steal over 50k from which you lost over half the entire round, landing alone on top alliance, landing with others on top alliance, doubling your acre count in 1 tick just by stealing, finishing on 12345 acres, finishing on over 20k acres with exact same amount of each acre type etc etc etc. :p

I see no harm in having "novelty" or "fun" awards, for rare situations/circumstances. I don't think every single thing, top to bottom, in the entire of Bushtarion should be geared towards number-chasers/power-players only.

But to offset that, the award points given for awards that are more based on "luck", are generally far lower than the difficult awards that require "skill" or "time".

I'm of the opinion that this is the plea of a numberchaser, wanting to prove his abilities to the world by "winning/getting everything" without ever having to wait for luck or chance to have a role in it.

The problem with that is that you assume everybody is number chasing so you giving different number of points to each achievement balances that. I personally don't care as much about the cumulated score but mostly about how many pics i see in that table :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Changer

Head Gardener
I think the award setup atm is fine. Enough 'skill' based ones, with the odd 'lottery' based ones dispersed amongst them

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well let's look at the "random" awards that DarkSider wants to remove;

On the Road to Hell - Get 2 hamsters in a round.
Hot Hamster Loving - Get 4 hamsters in a round.
Lucky in Love - 3 valentine's day messages in a round.
Trick or Treat - 3 Halloween messages in a round.
Gunpowder, Treason & Plot - 3 bonfire night messages in a round.
Ho Ho Ho - 3 Christmas mesages in a round.
Invisibly Intelligent - You can't control when you will or won't be detected.

That's 7 awards total that are nothing but chance related. And they are all quite novelty/fun related. Doesn't anyone else think they're kinda quirky/cool/fun?

If I got Hot Hamster Loving, I wouldn't be keeping quiet thinking "Meh, not my doing", I'd be having a laugh and saying to people "Omg look, I got FOUR hamsters in a single round!!! :D :D". Sure it'd just be LUCK, but it's an ACHIEVEMENT - because of it's rarity!

Those 6 awards are all just a bit of fun, they aren't damaging or ruining your skill based awards, and they only come to a total of 35 award points out of a total of 1125 possible award points (or out of 1065 if you discount the 4 currently unachievable ones). To me it sounds like a really petty "Oh, well, I don't like the novelty ones I just want to win everything have a wall full of every award in the game and pwn everyone".

Bushtarion's got a lot of comedy and spoof elements in it, and some novelty/fun/silly things that can happen. As long as they're not drastically controlling the outcome of the game, then I think they do nothing but add to the "personality" of Bushtarion. It's not all numberchasing :)

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon
Those 6 awards are all just a bit of fun, they aren't damaging or ruining your skill based awards, and they only come to a total of 35 award points out of a total of 1125 possible award points (or out of 1065 if you discount the 4 currently unachievable ones).

So ? They could be worth 1 point all of them combined they're just random things you get. It's called "awards" not lottery or lucky draw. If i want pure luck i'm playing lottery there's much better prizes to win there :p

To me it sounds like a really petty "Oh, well, I don't like the novelty ones I just want to win everything have a wall full of every award in the game and pwn everyone".

You're spot on .. what's the problem with that ? :D

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So ? They could be worth 1 point all of them combined they're just random things you get. It's called "awards" not lottery or lucky draw. If i want pure luck i'm playing lottery there's much better prizes to win there :p

Alternative name is achievement. And getting 4 hamsters in a round is a rarity and thus can be considered an achievement. I think people should be recognised for exceptional and rare things within the achievements system, as long as these exceptional/rare things don't over-crowd or over-power skill related things.

Especially if it adds a bit of spoof/humour/fun to Bushtarion, and help keeps the "soul" of Bushtarion (hamsters have been a big part of Bushtarion and the spirit of the game, as have the random news items... we might as well remove them since they don't do anything in practical terms?)

To me it sounds like a really petty "Oh, well, I don't like the novelty ones I just want to win everything have a wall full of every award in the game and pwn everyone".
You're spot on .. what's the problem with that ? :D

The game's not all about you ;)

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
There are achievements in Team Fortress to kill a number of players who are in the middle of a 'taunt' animation. It's so incredibly rare to come across this situation that very few people have this achievement, does that mean it too should also be scrapped?

There are always going to be fun achievements that have nothing to do with skill and all to do with luck; if it were up to me there'd be a load more 'luck' achievements within Bushtarion as they're highly entertaining.

Bush Awards serve no real purpose; they don't unlock extra units, they don't give you any benefits...they're there for fun. Stop being such a killjoy!

Koeniej

Harvester
I think theres nothing wrong with the awards that are luck-based! I think its fun.
I do think its a pity that there are some awards that you cant get anymore because the game changed!
That means you cant get them no matter what!

Crumpet

Harvester
Meh

Meh

Keep the fun ones. Why is everyone trying to turn the game into skill, skill, skill. It takes away all the element of fun, which a game is suppose to be. I think it's a nice balance and keeps people interested in the profile awards.

If you want the skill based awards than go work for them but don't try and take the fun/funny away just because they don't suit your play style.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
... But don't try and take the fun/funny away just because they don't suit you...

Spot on Crumpet! Don't remove other people's fun for your own gains!

(if absolutely everybody voted to remove them, that'd be one thing, but I think it's becoming clear that there are many players that enjoy fun for the sake of fun, and novelty, silliness, humour :) )

harriergirl

Landscape Designer
Keep the fun ones. Why is everyone trying to turn the game into skill, skill, skill. It takes away all the element of fun, which a game is suppose to be. I think it's a nice balance and keeps people interested in the profile awards.

If you want the skill based awards than go work for them but don't try and take the fun/funny away just because they don't suit your play style.

qft, number crunching is all well and good, but at the end of the day it isn't everything.

f0xx

Landscape Designer
[sarcasm]I suggest we have card games integrated within bush too.

Poker and stuff like that. Or little girls which ride ponnies, you get to chose which girl rides which ponny.... orrrrrrrr we can have a place where people tell jokes and stuff, everyone will be allowed one entry per day and post a joke, something like G-pols....[/sarcasm]

It's a war game FFS! I don't mind the random messages I get at x-mas or valentines day, or the silly hamster... but giving an "award" for that is silly.

If you really want people to have a serious attitude towards the "awards", you should make then serious awards. Awards based on achievements, not on random stuff.

Garrett

Landscape Designer
bushtarion turf wars the card game?!

oooh mah booster pack I got SENTRIES!

oooh my card says imba imba ezzzmode!

oooh my card says I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it people like me!

awards as is is fine. if you need a new award to continue playing the game, seriously the door is over there somewhere. don't play.

there is already portal. that's the seriousness. the awards are for play. everyone else step.

lavadog

Head Gardener
come back when you get all the doable awards ds.

(you still need 54!)

hehe, I co-sign. Imo, once you get all the skilled ones, and thus effectively have to wait for a new one to come your way by chance, you have the right to complain ;P

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon
That's the whole point .. if the random ones are not achieveble even if you play 100 more rounds there's no point chasing to get like 80% completed :p The wall of achievements doesn't have the credibility, i look at it like the uniform of a army general with all the decorations he got during his career. How silly would it look a computer to randomly generate a number and this general to win a decoration called "lol i'm lucky" that he has to carry on his chest between all the hardcore titles ?

And sure the luck awards/statistics can be fun for some players i don't question that tho i doubt they should be in the very same place as the real deal :p
It's like spinning a roulette at round end and giving 1 award to 1 player and others should actually care about it because it's one of the 60 or whatever awards .. i just don't see the fun part sorry.

At least split the awards to 2 separate tables, one you can chase and the random ones separate.

@ Weeble that example it's not the best. I'm not against hunting the hamster which is the same deal, it requires you to be alert and TO DO something. I'm against the kind that requires you to be lucky to get 4 hamsters in a round or to get caught less than 5% of your scans when you have absolutely no way of controlling that.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
DarkSider - if you're willing to have the awards but to "split them" up from the "non-luck-based" awards, then consider this:

You know in your head, as a number-cruncher/power-player, know which awards are skill-based, and which are not. You know in your head, that fellow number-crunchers/power-players, also know which are skill-based, and which are not. Therefore you can look at your profile, realise you do not have these random ones that are beyond your comprehension, and go "I don't care that I do not have them, because I do not care about them. My fellow skillful peers do not care that I do not have them, because they know they are not skillful/they do not care about them."

And those people that do care about them, and desperately hope for 4 hamsters, and hope for 3 newses, and do every intel scan with a tentative wince hoping they don't get caught... can pay attention to people who have those awards.

I'm sure there's players that don't care about who the top 10 of the game is in score, because they just play their own game for fun, but I'm not going to remove score from the game to suit them.

Some players (many players) like the random awards/achievements. Some do not. There are awards that are skill based (and there are much, much more of them, and they give more points, are more recognisable, are cooler sounding/looking), and there are awards that are luck-based. All tastes are catered for.

It's not "My way or the highway", DS, and I'm afraid the results of this poll are showing that your way isn't even the majority, let alone the exclusivity ;)