100 pushups

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
Actually you bring up a sterling point - the human body was never designed to run. Knees are stupid joints - they're so not designed for the high impacts associated with running, and for that reason, biking is far better for general health!

cb1202

Head Gardener
Actually you bring up a sterling point - the human body was never designed to run. Knees are stupid joints - they're so not designed for the high impacts associated with running, and for that reason, biking is far better for general health!

I can personally vouch for this point. I spent about 6 months running 6 days a week at 5 miles per day. I had to quit because of a really bad knee problem. I plan on taking up running again very shortly, but it does lead to some bad knee problems.

I have taken up biking until my knee gets better, and I must say that biking is a lot harder on the legs. I cant really get as good of a cardio work out like I was used to when running because my legs give out after a very short time. I figure my legs just need to get used to biking instead of running.

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

forrestgump21.jpg

thats not what my momma said

Alvestein

Garden Designer
what about cross training? works the whole body but without the problem of floor impact.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
When I was healthy and in the army the best I made was 83 - But please note that I didn't do the other parts {apart from endless circuits}.
I can't do the push-ups for health reasons for another 3 and a half months, but I can do the rest. I'll update when I'm fit and well to take part in the push-up test.
I'll do the squats, and situps in the meantime. :)

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Reviving awesome thread because I neeed this. After final year engineering, im still a skinny *******, but my fitness dropped off massively over that inactive year. Devastated.

My first game of indoor soccer in a year I was dying in few minutes, i used to be able to run forever. So im signed up at the gym now with my family. Was already way fitter the second game. But i just tried doing pushups and only managed 30. I managed the hundred having initially being able to do 40 when i last did this a couple of years ago. Although now im 70kg as opposed to 65, so that may have something to do with it. Still not an excuse!

So im starting week 3, column three. I just tried and failed on third set, but im blaming that on the exhaustion test I'd already done and the beach run + soccer game from this afternoon :p

Im psyched! :D

No-Dachi

Official Helper
If you're trying to get in shape, got a fighters mentality and are not afraid to get tired (and want to make it in 2 months), go check this out: www.mmaripped.com - I went through the "camp" or training modules, and it changed me. PM if you want examples - but it really works . if you put in the effort.

And no, I don't make any profit from it, it just really convinced me when I tried it!

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
I did (and am still doing less regularly) the Hugh Jackman workout. It's pretty popular, but it's seriously hard work for the first 2 weeks. It's meant to hurt after every time, so if it doesn't, you aren't working hard enough or you should be upping it a notch.

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
You won't get size from doing pess-ups... :p

Decide what you want to achieve and train for that - Dachi's an incredibly fit chap, but his traniing is hardcore fitness and toning. However if you want to get bigger then it's a totally different work-out. Isolate your key "mirror" muscles work on them, you'll then see a dramatic improvement which will then build your confidence to go further.
If you want fitness at football, do interval training and play more football :p

Fitness is not related to how you look. I'm one of the fastest runners I know and I've played football for 3 different teams and each one I have been able to run faster and longer than pretty much all of the seasoned guys. However I'm a chunky, short, ginger guy....

See what you want to achieve and then do what you need to do to get there!

*edit* - Dachi's thing is good for building up your size, but it's a hardcore schedule, if you've been out a while you're better off just with the bits you enjoy and see results off. Get a training partner too!

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
Get a training partner too!

This is one of the most important parts of all.

It is a massive benefit to have somebody there to bounce your achievements and perserverance off of - And a bit of friendly competition is also a good inspiration to drive harder for longer.

Alvestein

Garden Designer
Me and my mate have been doing the 100 pushups for about 2-3 months now, went from being able to do an initial 24 to 65 now.

Have to say it does plateau out a bit though, i saw massive improvement in the first couple of months compared to the last.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
You won't get size from doing pess-ups... :p

Decide what you want to achieve and train for that - Dachi's an incredibly fit chap, but his traniing is hardcore fitness and toning. However if you want to get bigger then it's a totally different work-out. Isolate your key "mirror" muscles work on them, you'll then see a dramatic improvement which will then build your confidence to go further.
If you want fitness at football, do interval training and play more football :p

Fitness is not related to how you look. I'm one of the fastest runners I know and I've played football for 3 different teams and each one I have been able to run faster and longer than pretty much all of the seasoned guys. However I'm a chunky, short, ginger guy....

See what you want to achieve and then do what you need to do to get there!

*edit* - Dachi's thing is good for building up your size, but it's a hardcore schedule, if you've been out a while you're better off just with the bits you enjoy and see results off. Get a training partner too!

Im not tyring to build size. Just get some basic core strength which im missing. This program is easy and it works.

Alvy, if your at 65, you should be able to make 100 in 2 weeks. Try doing the workout twice a day. Even if you fail the second time that day, it doesnt matter. I think thats what i was doing when i did it.

avash

Harvester
p90x is the best money I have ever spent on anything, would recommend that tim. I did the workouts following the dvd and literally the difference in 3 months was draw dropping.

Alvestein

Garden Designer
hmm never thought about doing it twice aday, the program says do it once every other day to let your muscles rest. ill give it a shot though!

timtadams

Landscape Designer
hmm never thought about doing it twice aday, the program says do it once every other day to let your muscles rest. ill give it a shot though!

By doing it twice a day you still get your rest days. Gotta have the drive to push yourself through the last few pushups though ;)

Being on uni holidays is just amazing given the amount of time free I have to do stuff, even with casual work.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
The muscle rests would obviously become far more important under 2-a-day conditions, though, to avoid long-term damage (my dad has seized elbow joints to a point from his weightlifting and pushups from when he was in the Marines).

timtadams

Landscape Designer
The muscle rests would obviously become far more important under 2-a-day conditions, though, to avoid long-term damage (my dad has seized elbow joints to a point from his weightlifting and pushups from when he was in the Marines).

This is way different to training for the marines. Not even close. Yes pushups, same intensity? No.

No-Dachi

Official Helper
Performing pushups twice a day works if you want to take X amount of pushups - then you're training for technique and neurological gains. If you want muscles, however, you need to let your body rest more than 8-12 hours.

Martin is correct, though, regarding MMARipped; it's brilliant for getting fit, getting a fighters physique and getting incredible strong. However, if you're lean and looking for muscle mass instead of definition, you're better off with a regular squat/bench program doing 3x8's.

Martin

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
FYI, Simon Cowell does 500 press-ups a day.

This has given me a new found motivation to get started again. I'm doing 50 press-ups then 50 sit-ups up to 250 of each. I'm also alternating the press-ups between flat-hand and then having a fist (don't know the proper terms).
As I've not eaten today (I had many too much foods last night) I'm a bit low on energy so am taking a short break between each set whilst watching Top Gear re-runs.