UK General Election 2010

UK General Election 2010

• I'm not a registered UK voter, I just felt the need to take part/see the results.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I'm unable to vote this year.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I'm voting Conservatives.

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • I'm voting Labour.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I'm voting Liberal Democrats.

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • I'm voting another party/independant.

• I'm going to spoil my ballot paper intentionally.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I don't know who to vote for yet, but I want to vote.

• I'm not voting. I care, but I support nobody.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm not going to bother voting - I don't care.

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters

Alvestein

Garden Designer
which party is backing nuclear power development? because i'll be voting for them when i get the chance.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
which party is backing nuclear power development? because i'll be voting for them when i get the chance.

UKIP, at least they're the only party openly mentioning it in their policies and stating quite clearly that it's an area we need to work on for future energy needs.

Illumination

Head Gardener
I was all for "Change" in America and voted Obama for the last election. I'd probably do it again- but there has been no change. I'm convinced that a new start is needed- fresh blood without the pressure asserted by old blood. Sounds like England is suffering from the same rut. Good luck and I hope your winner is a good man (or woman-not meaning to rule out the ladies) that truly wants to help his (her) country.

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I was all for "Change" in America and voted Obama for the last election. I'd probably do it again- but there has been no change.

i call that healthcare stuff a pretty big change in US
as the Official nuclear agreement between russia and VS
and didnt they close that camp in cuba?

saint1d

Head Gardener
Tories for me. Cameron at least has some charisma, backbone and I also trust him. He doesnt shirk away from issues. Lib Dems get on my wick, but I cannot stand the thought of Labour getting in again.

Cheese

Tree Surgeon
I'm going to soil my ballot paper intentionally. - That's better.

So you are going to make the effort to go to the polling station just to write crap on your ballot paper. Yeh thumbs up guy! Everyone should be like you.
People like you annoy me... if you don't want to vote don't go simple as, you aint doing anything but being an arsehole by spoiling your ballot paper.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So you are going to make the effort to go to the polling station just to write crap on your ballot paper. Yeh thumbs up guy! Everyone should be like you.
People like you annoy me... if you don't want to vote don't go simple as, you aint doing anything but being an arsehole by spoiling your ballot paper.

He was just making a funny. He said soil, instead of spoil ;P

BTW: Ugh what's with all the Tory votes... yaaaay let's privatise what little we have left, scrap the "super-tax" on people earning over £150k a year, scrap the "robin hood tax" idea for banks and financial institutions, and increase the lowest-bracket income tax so the rich feel no difference but the poor feel the pinch :(

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Does anyone know if there's a government site/official site that lists all candidates for your area? I've searched but I can't seem to find one. At the moment I've been relying on local newspaper articles which aren't entirely clear (though it looks like my Lib Dems candidate is an arse, and I have no UKIP candidate standing, but there is an independent so if what I saw is fully correct then I guess I'll be voting the ind just to stop the vote going where I don't want it :p).

If there ISN'T a big government/voting site somewhere that lists all known standing candidates & their parties for any specific area - why on earth not!? :O How many people here know exactly which candidates are standing for their areas?

Dax

Hydroponics Developer

You take me too seriously. I'm actually a Lib Dem supporter - I just misread the selection in the poll to say 'soil'. :)

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
Does anyone know if there's a government site/official site that lists all candidates for your area? I've searched but I can't seem to find one. At the moment I've been relying on local newspaper articles which aren't entirely clear (though it looks like my Lib Dems candidate is an arse, and I have no UKIP candidate standing, but there is an independent so if what I saw is fully correct then I guess I'll be voting the ind just to stop the vote going where I don't want it :p).

If there ISN'T a big government/voting site somewhere that lists all known standing candidates & their parties for any specific area - why on earth not!? :O How many people here know exactly which candidates are standing for their areas?

I believe the BBC does have an election webpage, and it really is as simple as www.BBC.co.uk/election

lillie

Harvester
According this site.....www.aboutmyvote.co.uk

there is none available.

Where can I get info about candidates?

There is no official source, so you should visit candidate websites, party websites, or write to the party.

Max

Garden Designer
Let me express my thoughts on the upcoming election... through the medium of a bushtarion metaphor or two!

1) Why vote for a local MP who is never going to win a seat?

Generally, there are only ever two candidates in the running for the top spot. To vote for the third - fourth - fifth... etc. is pointless and doesn't achieve anything!

Similarly in bushtarion, there are almost always 1-2 top alliances. Quite often you don't want either one of them to win, but you really hate one of them more than the other! So why not vote for the lesser of two evils? It is far more likely to have an impact than flogging a dead horse.

2) Why vote for someone "out of principle" when they're never going to win?

*Cynic mode at maximum!* I'm sorry but at the end of the day, whichever set of politicians get in power will have some element of corruption / deceit / childishness and greed. It doesn't matter if it's Labour, Conservatives or Lib Dems. I've seen local councils in action for all three and they're just as bad as eachother quite frankly :p

For example, if Twigley, JJ and Martin were all leading top alliances, and you were in the middle class "mid alliances", it wouldn't matter whoever was at the top, you're still going to get raped :p

3) Vote for change?

Change isn't always good, but it is refreshing, if only for five minutes.

In bushtarion, I would rather different people won each round than the same every time. I would rather Martin won, then Twigley, then Martin... etc. than have Twigley win every round ^^ However, like politics, it doesn't really matter who is the top dog, they are still going to take all of your land and cause you to waste money on gardeners, often without you even realising it!

Just a few random musings xD

PS - Please don't take my analogies too seriously, I just thought they were a bit of fun <3

Illumination

Head Gardener
In America- Yes, they closed down Guantanamo Bay- I think it was a good change. Health care reform is a change- but its yet to be seen how- and the impact it will have (Its looking like it is going to destroy health care- not fix it). Obama is black- and a President- I didnt mention that change either. With each new office comes change- just not always what the people had hoped for when electing them in. I just hope that the UK can find someone with good morales and a backbone.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
In America- Yes, they closed down Guantanamo Bay- I think it was a good change. Health care reform is a change- but its yet to be seen how- and the impact it will have (Its looking like it is going to destroy health care- not fix it). Obama is black- and a President- I didnt mention that change either. With each new office comes change- just not always what the people had hoped for when electing them in. I just hope that the UK can find someone with good morales and a backbone.

We have public health care - It isn't terrible, but with all the money the US can draw in over the UK, the standard of care overall will be far higher.
The only reason to oppose it, is if you are a rich member of the US, who doesn't want to give more money to their country, for their people, and is happier amassing their money in fuel-guzzling cars, and burning tires for no reason at all {that last one was added because I can just imagine the US doing that to add to pollution :p}.

Let me express my thoughts on the upcoming election... through the medium of a bushtarion metaphor or two!

1) Why vote for a local MP who is never going to win a seat?

Generally, there are only ever two candidates in the running for the top spot. To vote for the third - fourth - fifth... etc. is pointless and doesn't achieve anything!

Similarly in bushtarion, there are almost always 1-2 top alliances. Quite often you don't want either one of them to win, but you really hate one of them more than the other! So why not vote for the lesser of two evils? It is far more likely to have an impact than flogging a dead horse.

2) Why vote for someone "out of principle" when they're never going to win?

*Cynic mode at maximum!* I'm sorry but at the end of the day, whichever set of politicians get in power will have some element of corruption / deceit / childishness and greed. It doesn't matter if it's Labour, Conservatives or Lib Dems. I've seen local councils in action for all three and they're just as bad as eachother quite frankly :p

For example, if Twigley, JJ and Martin were all leading top alliances, and you were in the middle class "mid alliances", it wouldn't matter whoever was at the top, you're still going to get raped :p

3) Vote for change?

Change isn't always good, but it is refreshing, if only for five minutes.

In bushtarion, I would rather different people won each round than the same every time. I would rather Martin won, then Twigley, then Martin... etc. than have Twigley win every round ^^ However, like politics, it doesn't really matter who is the top dog, they are still going to take all of your land and cause you to waste money on gardeners, often without you even realising it!

Just a few random musings xD

PS - Please don't take my analogies too seriously, I just thought they were a bit of fun <3

And this, is brilliant. A delightful read.