Unit Damage Mechanism

Yang

Harvester
Does anyone know how the damage of the units are calculated?

Do all the units that attack have their Armor Damage (AD) and Health Damage (HD) summed, then distributed over the units they attack or does it work by putting the summed damage on one unit each time?

Say for example I use Hooligans attacking and CW taking the beating as an example. Gonna assume and use the stats in the manual which I know is not correct.

Hooligan attack damage is:

1HD 3AD

and CW armor is:

1H 6A

----------
So if the the attack is summed, 1mil hooligans will input a damage of :

1mil HD and 3mil AD, then it is distributed to lets say 1mil CW evenly, it will be 1HD and 3AD for each CW and none will be disabled, but have their armors reduced with their Health intact.
----------
However, if the attack is summed, then the damage is put on to one unit at a time then it will be around 500k CWs disabled, with the remaining CWs with full armor and hp.

Thus the remaining CWs are not armor stripped.

Question is, would the CWs have their armor stripped which are not disabled fully?

No-Dachi

Official Helper
Afaik the damage and hitpoints are first summed up, as in two big batches of numbers. Then you subtract the damage from the hitpoints pool, removing as many units as needed to reach the amount of damage inflicted.

This is done in two rounds. First the system calculates armor damage. Only units with 0 armor points left can receive health damage. This is the reason why it is possible to "strip" a target for armor, without killing it. Then it calculates health damage, and out of the units with no armor, removes as many as needed or possible, if the amount of health damage inflicted exceeds the number of "stripped units".

The damage is of course distributed amongst the correct unit classes in correspondance with their ratio to each other, but I believe that part of the calulation to be sort of out of this topic.

I might be off on this, but I think this is the way it's done.

Yang

Harvester
Hmm...thank you Dachi

Is the Star system of the units in the manual linear or is it logarithmic?

No-Dachi

Official Helper
The stars represent a range of values. For example * can be 1-99 and ** 100-199 etc. Or it could be in the range of thousands - that's not public information I'm afraid ;p

Unless i'm mistaken it's pretty even up to the sixth star, which is basically unlimited.

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon
That's just common sense speculation imo.
I doubt Dachi made tests to verify if the AD dealt is spread proportional to the units depending on numbers, what happens with excess AD on units already stripped, if it's wasted like in LET/ALL targeting against NLD units for example or distributed to other units which still have armour, if the health damage is fired to all units and only the striped ones die or it's 100% aimed at 0 armor units etc. (For example have been cases when a very low amount of SA sent on a target didn't kill a single unit even tho it's expected 1 SA to kill about 5 gardeners).
Sorry to be picky but you asked if somebody knows and it's a mechanisms i doubt many studied in depth, only if you wanted to create a battle simulator you'd know the answer for real :p
What is known for sure is that a unit has to loose it's entire armor before it can receive health damage :p

f0xx

Landscape Designer
Hmm...thank you Dachi

Is the Star system of the units in the manual linear or is it logarithmic?

Exponential I would say.

Example:

* = 1-50
** = 50-150
*** = 150-300
**** = 300-500

And so on.

PS. Don't forget this is just an example and those are NOT the exact numbers, since noone but Azzer knows them. I am just refering to what I've seen him post on IRC concerning the subject.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's a fairly complex system, and yes the stars are "exponential".