• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Tutorial

Davs

Garden Designer
Sorry to necro, but in the spirit of suggestions that need to be done first, I believe the Tutorial needs a few tweaks to help encourage new gamers! Azzer's last opinion back in August 2009 was:

Expanded Tutorial/In-Game Help:
Improved user friendliness for new players. In-game tutorial system was introduced but probably needs expansions to cover attacks better. I'm after player help on this one, being the "typical coder", I'm no good at writing manuals or teaching people how to use the things I create (not all coders are like this, but this is "atypical" of programmers - make the programs, useless at writing manuals/instructions).

I think Azzer was right, it needs extending. My suggestion is that players are walked through a whole attack and have the news report of the battle explained to them as well - for example an attack on a tutorial bot to demonstrate how to flak past a target to land. Also, I like Dimitar's suggestion of incorporating some link to Live Chat or similar.

+1

edd

Tree Surgeon
I think Azzer was right, it needs extending. My suggestion is that players are walked through a whole attack and have the news report of the battle explained to them as well - for example an attack on a tutorial bot to demonstrate how to flak past a target to land. Also, I like Dimitar's suggestion of incorporating some link to Live Chat or similar.

I disagree. There has to be a limit to how much you tell a new player before you let him go and find out about the rest of the game on his own. You don't want to be giving him answers to questions he wouldn't have been asking in the first place. A lot of the fun is in the learning after all :)

If a player has a query about a BR he can see if the answer is in the manual or come on irc and ask a player.

I think the Live chat bit is good though.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

I disagree. There has to be a limit to how much you tell a new player before you let him go and find out about the rest of the game on his own. You don't want to be giving him answers to questions he wouldn't have been asking in the first place. A lot of the fun is in the learning after all :)

If a player has a query about a BR he can see if the answer is in the manual or come on irc and ask a player.

I would think the kind of questions they wouldn't think to ask are exactly the questions which need answering.

edd

Tree Surgeon

I would think the kind of questions they wouldn't think to ask are exactly the questions which need answering.

I have never been part of a training alliance so I have only my own experience of learning this game to go on here. I was a pretty slow learner at first but I was learning for myself. Had a player been there giving me bits of advice on concepts that i hadn't thought of to start with he probably would have just confused my way of understanding the game without giving me the chance to learn that I had been wrong for myself.

Perhaps I'm just a little off in the head (don't comment on this part ;) )

As I said though, i've no experience in the department of teaching others so i may well be wrong here.

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
I like Max's idea of tutorial bots, only able to be attacked whilst completing tutorial.

And link the flaking idea in manual. And leave the step as land the tutorial bot. Give it some constant ar. And constant troops and land that refreshes each tick. So that the player can practice sending and see if they can land. Once landed they can't send again. Maybe some extra feed back for the attack. Not just a battle report. And some simple additional feed back. If they trigger ar, or get piggies it could explain why anti rape appeared. But nothing more. Let the the new player work it out.