• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Tutorial

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
The general idea of the tutorial is to tutor new players, and the best way new players can get the hang of the game is through IRC and forums, so I suggest making a few new steps in the tutorial, like "Click on the Live Chat link to connect to our chat room. This will award you with xxxx seeds." And the same way of linking you to the forums.

It could prove very helpful to advertise the "ask for help" thing within the Tutorial too, so newbies are "forced" to use them, for their own good.

Last edited:

Alvestein

Garden Designer
dont know why i didnt read this but i think its brilliant! i definitely would have quit Bushtarion long ago (for reaaalz) if i hadn't joined irc.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
IRC ftw - It's one tool that has kept me playing this game without a doubt.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Yeah must have missed this thread first time around. Big thumbs up!!! We need to get people into the "community" right away if we want to have them stick around!

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
Maybe keep away the retards who don't know how to act when a new player arrives instead of keeping away the newbies.

Davs

Garden Designer
Hmm... I agree with the initial suggestion, but as has been said, it'd be nice if the morons who currently occupy the main channel didn't treat new players like ****. Meh... I suppose one can dream.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
Hmm... I agree with the initial suggestion, but as has been said, it'd be nice if the morons who currently occupy the main channel didn't treat new players like ****. Meh... I suppose one can dream.

Don't worry Davs, we don't mind your torrid abuse of new players in #bush. <3

Walking_Death

Harvester

Don't worry Davs, we don't mind your torrid abuse of new players in #bush. <3

Or Toby's. He's so mean to me :(
(see what I did there?)

MrBlack

Weeder
For what it is worth i think the Tutorial needs more explanation added to each set, feed back i get from friends i try to intro due is “what the point is”! And lots of Whys etc, maybe if there was more to the Tutorial new members would then get a better understanding of the game!

TehPantz

Head Gardener
I suggested this earlier in the forums but nothing really came of it. Since the thread is back: I think Azzer just needs to put a direct link to the recruitment thread in every "Welcome to Bushtarion" message. That would make sure new people find their way to help.

Max

Garden Designer
Sorry to necro, but in the spirit of suggestions that need to be done first, I believe the Tutorial needs a few tweaks to help encourage new gamers! Azzer's last opinion back in August 2009 was:

Expanded Tutorial/In-Game Help:
Improved user friendliness for new players. In-game tutorial system was introduced but probably needs expansions to cover attacks better. I'm after player help on this one, being the "typical coder", I'm no good at writing manuals or teaching people how to use the things I create (not all coders are like this, but this is "atypical" of programmers - make the programs, useless at writing manuals/instructions).

I think Azzer was right, it needs extending. My suggestion is that players are walked through a whole attack and have the news report of the battle explained to them as well - for example an attack on a tutorial bot to demonstrate how to flak past a target to land. Also, I like Dimitar's suggestion of incorporating some link to Live Chat or similar.