Ps4

timtadams

Landscape Designer
I just watched ps4 conference which was back on Feb. And since there is no thread, here we go.

8 core, 64 bit modified 'Jaguar' AMD CPU
GPU has peak performance of 1.84 TFLOPS
8 GB GDDR5 RAM

Blah blah blah, whatever. Basically a high end PC. Which means it's much easier for developers to create games for it (unlike for cell architecture of ps3) and should thus reduce development costs. It also might have something to do with the larger number of release games. The GDDR5 RAM should give faster load times than the standard DDR3 RAM.

Of course with new architecture there will be no native backwards compatibility. They haven't ruled out emulation but i don't think they will do it (i hope i'm wrong). But they are looking at cloud based emulation with Gaikai. Not sure exactly how that works but it's apparently supposed to be a long term solution to backward comparability. I'm also not sure how streaming would work with ps3 titles and if internet connection speeds would become an issue. I would much prefer local emulation, call me old fashioned.

They are also supporting independent game developers which I think is good for the industry as a whole.

There will also be ability to live stream gameplay and chat with friends while watching. It would also be possible to give control of your game to a friend who is watching your steaming. Similarly you could play your ps4 via a playstation vita, with the console sort of acting as game server. So they are some cool features which i think plenty of people would find attractive. (although i, along with penty others, probably won't have use for them).
But this media streaming is provided by Gaikai and the service would probably be a premium, paid for, service.

Maybe more importantly, they said they will not be locking games to a console and so you will have ability to play 2nd hand games. BUT they did not explicitly state there would be no fee involved, although the question was not asked. But given the consumer backlash towards Microsoft, they should see the sense in not charging.

Still, looks like a heap of good stuff, more than what i expected. But i still hopr they would provide local emulation of old games.

Oh, and i liked the look of Destiny by Bungie. Looks pretty cool.

'Tiger'

Landscape Designer
This maybe be a winner for me, over the xbox.

I dont say that much.

'Tiger'

Landscape Designer
I doubt it will bring their downfall.

The xbox marketbase is too large for it to fall through. Sure less people will get it than the 360, but a large majority will get it purely because it is an Xbox, and will always prefer a xbox over a playstation.

timtadams

Landscape Designer

The xbox marketbase is too large for it to fall through. Sure less people will get it than the 360, but a large majority will get it purely because it is an Xbox, and will always prefer a xbox over a playstation.

this. there is a lot of customer loyalty in consoles. Even not including the fanboys who are totally subjective there are plenty of people who will get an xbox One just because it's Microsoft and/or they are fond of their 360. I myself am a fairly loyal Sony user because in my experience their goods are of high quality. Likewise i'm sure many xbox users will be loyal to Microsoft for certain reasons.

But even with the bad bits, it'll still be a good kit for gaming. And if you want a Kinect and don't mind it always being on, and don't mind no backwards compatibility then it might be preferable, especially if it's cheaper.

Also, we still aren't sure on backwards compatibility of ps4. The E3 is in less than 2 weeks so Sony should reveal all then.

'Tiger'

Landscape Designer
The revelation is in 9 days time, 10th June it shows.

Benjai

Weeder

True, it could go either way really. we may have our own opinions here, but look at Sony. Everyone predicted their downfall what they made the playstation and used the cd instead of a game cartridge. So microsoft is either revolutionalising gaming or destroying it.

Benjai

Weeder

this. there is a lot of customer loyalty in consoles. Even not including the fanboys who are totally subjective there are plenty of people who will get an xbox One just because it's Microsoft and/or they are fond of their 360. I myself am a fairly loyal Sony user because in my experience their goods are of high quality. Likewise i'm sure many xbox users will be loyal to Microsoft for certain reasons.

But even with the bad bits, it'll still be a good kit for gaming. And if you want a Kinect and don't mind it always being on, and don't mind no backwards compatibility then it might be preferable, especially if it's cheaper.

Also, we still aren't sure on backwards compatibility of ps4. The E3 is in less than 2 weeks so Sony should reveal all then.

The kinect always being on and recording everything that happens whilst the device is on is a little off putting because i tend to leave me consoles runnning.

I didn't know the PS3 was reverse compatible until a few days ago. Now i am playing Spyro the dragon. Was there not talk of the PS4 being forward compatible?

timtadams

Landscape Designer
The kinect always being on and recording everything that happens whilst the device is on is a little off putting because i tend to leave me consoles runnning.

I didn't know the PS3 was reverse compatible until a few days ago. Now i am playing Spyro the dragon. Was there not talk of the PS4 being forward compatible?

PS3 was always backwards compatible with PSone games. But only the original PS3 (the 60 GB model) was backwards compatible with PS2 games.

From what I understand Sony are planning on using web based emulation via Gaikai for backwards compatibility of PS4 and future consoles. However I don't know what kind of bandwidth this would require as I have no idea how it works. Given that Sony are planning on this i doubt they are investing in local emulation.

I never realised emulation could be so bloody hard...

btw, I just realised the new xbox is kindof named after the original Playstation. Remember the PS'one' ?

Benjai

Weeder

PS3 was always backwards compatible with PSone games. But only the original PS3 (the 60 GB model) was backwards compatible with PS2 games.

From what I understand Sony are planning on using web based emulation via Gaikai for backwards compatibility of PS4 and future consoles. However I don't know what kind of bandwidth this would require as I have no idea how it works. Given that Sony are planning on this i doubt they are investing in local emulation.

I never realised emulation could be so bloody hard...

btw, I just realised the new xbox is kindof named after the original Playstation. Remember the PS'one' ?

Yeah, I found that out too... Although I am trying to convince one of my work mates to sell his to me for that exact reason.

Emulations are just another way to make more money. What if you already own the game? They will want you to buy it again just because it can not read the disc? If they have the technology to make emulators, why could they not just code it into the hardware?

Yeah, sorta, not really... But yes at the same time... The 'PS One' was not called the 'PS One' it was just a Play Station. Everyone just called it that... But I think we can all see what Microsoft is trying to do by encorportating the 'One' and you're right.

Benjai

Weeder
and the slim-line ones (in my opinion) weren't as good as the original's. I had about 3 of them and they were always breaking and didn't know if it wanted to read the discs or not. When I got my original back, it worked fine without hassles!!

timtadams

Landscape Designer
and the slim-line ones (in my opinion) weren't as good as the original's. I had about 3 of them and they were always breaking and didn't know if it wanted to read the discs or not. When I got my original back, it worked fine without hassles!!

well failure rates are inconsistent with your experience. You say all 3? Sounds like they aren't being treated properly, given proper ventilation or are located in a dusty place. My fat only died after many years and probably over 1000 hours of operation. My slim continues to power on without a hiccup.
But of course it's totally possible that you got unlucky.
But i just want to point out the importance of proper ventilation.

Max

Garden Designer
I found both the slim PS1 and slim PS2 to be vastly more reliable than their predecessors.

I still play my slim PS2 regularly without a problem, been going for years and years now. Never needed to get a PS3 - although I've always been sad I've missed out on FFXIII.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
Last time Microsoft cocked up via greed this bad, Apple took 18% of their world business.

This time, Sony would be smart to stamp on their competitor's errors.

Ever since Bill passed control to the rest of the board, all that has happened is they have gotten greedy, and either released things earlier for competition that weren't ready for release (360/Vista), or they simply put themselves on a platform of self-identified godliness (8/One). It's very misplaced. Microsoft's only recent saving graces have been Windows 7 & the second gen 360/Kinect.

RIP Microsoft

MattM

Tree Surgeon
Community Operator
I found both the slim PS1 and slim PS2 to be vastly more reliable than their predecessors.

I still play my slim PS2 regularly without a problem, been going for years and years now. Never needed to get a PS3 - although I've always been sad I've missed out on FFXIII.

Would you consider getting a PS3 when the PS4 nears its launch? I imagine prices will fall a bit then. I'm certainly considering investing in an xBox 360 or PS3 by that point...

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Last time Microsoft cocked up via greed this bad, Apple took 18% of their world business.

This time, Sony would be smart to stamp on their competitor's errors.

Ever since Bill passed control to the rest of the board, all that has happened is they have gotten greedy, and either released things earlier for competition that weren't ready for release (360/Vista), or they simply put themselves on a platform of self-identified godliness (8/One). It's very misplaced. Microsoft's only recent saving graces have been Windows 7 & the second gen 360/Kinect.

RIP Microsoft

I reckon M$ will lose some market ground to the PS4, but i don't think they will fall off the pace that easily.
In fact I wouldn't be surprised if this contest is a very tight one. To begin with at least. In the long run Sony tend to do better.

Actually, just thinking of this, when you consider Sony have been selling PS2 consoles the whole time the PS3 has been on the market, and that PS3 and 360 ended up basically tying in sales, Sony have been doing much better than M$ on total console sales.