• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Player notes.

penguin

Official Helper
There's two parts of the idea.

I have used the notes since the second week of R31 and I found them useful.
Very excellent idea!

I think the limit should be the amount of players in the database.. granted I have added notes to everyone that has attacked both alliance members and myself.. along with the members of other alliances once I get the ID list.. and I don't know the set limit.. so if it already is the amount of the player database, disregard this idea.

The other part to this idea is to have player notes on the people that are in the same alliance of each person. I find myself continuously checking my notes on players each time there is an attack coming in.. to see if someone online can send defense and have it work effectively. With the notes already being there, this would make it much easier than having every person having their title as the name and which route they are.. this way.. it eliminates doing a hax and manually adding a note on an alliance member leaving them to think of who they were haxed by.. and it will leave the title space open to many more things and keep the alliance overview page neater and more efficient when other people get used to the notes :) and, once you leave an alliance, you do not get to keep the notes on your previous alliance.. this way it will keep people from joining every alliance there is just to get the notes added automatically.

as any plan, I know this one has flaws, I know there might be a flaw I am missing.. other than it would be very difficult to actually do this plan with the server.. as far as I understand how it works :p Fire your flaws away..
and.. like every plan, this will have people that agree with it, and disagree with it.. so get your fingers ready :)

fire away.

Davs

Garden Designer
If I understood what you were talking about I'd make a much better response to your suggestion.
Sadly this makes less sense than the Chewbacca Defence - so please either reword it or expect a complete lack of useful replies.

Garrett

Landscape Designer
Ok. Responding to points/ideas I think you made. Clarification, like Davs pointed out, would be helpful.

1st) many players don't get out of the starting gate. there are hundreds of players that won't ever been in your range past the first day. Plus with id's being removed due to various reasons, I doubt you are wanting to make let alone manage the entire player roster in your notes.

If you are, I suggest database management as your hobby of choice. How about 3-500 players?(the journal limit was made 999 as stated by azzer in one of the threads below) You may make this many notes, but I doubt 60% of it would be current notes.

2nd) You say player notes for your alliance. If you switch alliances, then you lose your previous alliance's data and switch to the new one.

A) this would make data only as good as people in charge of the alliance make it <--- biggest flaw in having 'alliance notes'.
B) you can ALREADY add player notes to tooltips. if you choose to put relevant ally info in it - does this not take care of what you are asking?

If you use your player notes space, then you can ensure data only you want, or arranged to your preference. Otherwise it would be a big headache back and forth organizing with the 'leader' or other 'members' for it to display all you want/ how you want it.

3rd) There are already many other threads in regards to notes. Read? Augment? Find out your suggestion is already out there in part?

Not even using search and just looking at pages 1 and 2, I show you exhibit:
A) created 7/14 Ally Player Notes
B) created 7/1 Friend/Ignore/Journal and Azzer announced Revamps
C) created 7/1 Player Journal Limits
D) created 6/17 Alliance Titles in Tooltip

Feel free to peruse these and see if any apply to your idea(s).

penguin

Official Helper
What I am suggesting is that the route [ie Violent Demonstrator] would be added to the player notes of an alliance member automatically set according to the troops someone would have. Granted, when someone would tech Placards and Pamphlets a note would automatically be added as 'Protestor' until another Technology is done such as Violent Demonstrator, which will update the note from the previous one, so the note would be 'Protestor - Terrorist Leader'. With the Thug route, however; this idea would become a little to broad. So, with the thug, a note would be added once someone starts the technology Rioting and General Disorder.. the note then will be 'Thug' until they would do a technology such as Lunatic Asylum, then the note would automatically change to 'Thug - Attack Dog'. No note for Terrorist Leader is needed since all of the Thug route can get them. This would be the same as Fantasy, Special Operations, Military and Robotics. I did say the p-unit because that is what I feel everyone else knows routes by. [Then again, I could be wrong]
As for the alliance leader keeping up with the notes if it needs to be done that way.. there shouldn't be a problem if the alliance leader is on top of everything like he/she should be in the first place. [Then again, we all have different views about that.]
Yes, I did say that if you leave an alliance, the player notes for the alliance would be eliminated. When/if you join another alliance, the new notes would appear automatically.
As for the way other people want the notes, this wouldn't be unchangable, someone could definately change the notes, otherwise it would be pointless to even think of something like this. My idea would help those that need a 'boost' on getting the information about the routes of the alliance member. The person would still lose the information, but that is easily gained back since other people can write down which ID is which route and add the note accordingly.
Another flaw I seen was that I didn't mention about a previous note on a person before joining the alliance that person may have a note on. Example: If I had a note on ID 9385 [randomized numbers] before I joined the alliance he/she is in, and I join that alliance, my previous note would not interfere with the new note system. It would stay the way I had it before I joined the alliance and would stay even after I left the alliance solely because I already had the note on that ID before I had joined that particular alliance.

Player database management isn't something for me.. it takes more than I know. Let alone the fact I don't really know much about how any kind of system or how a server works, so it's not my thing.

As for the notes not being up to date, it depends on what you put in those notes. Some people may put the alliance a player is in and their route, some people might just put their route. Who knows, but, to ensure myself on this part of the subject, I solely put the route they are going, or if they are tecched up enough, the sub-route they are. [going] {I do this to ensure I don't have to re-do my notes on a day to day basis}

I agree that this suggestion wasn't well thought out or worded to an understanding state, and I'm sorry about that. My intentions weren't to confuse anyone about my ideas.
The reason I posted a new thread is because this idea is different than any one ele's idea, and I will let them have their idea. I find it very rude to add anything to someone else's plan or take away something.

I was unaware of the updated 999 limit on the player notes, but Azzer only changed it a little over an hour after Martin has said something. And reading that post had me thinking that maybe 999 is the current limit that Azzer can set it as, but like I mentioned before, I know nothing about the inner workings of the server he has.

Reading all the threads that Garrett has posted actually made more sense.. but.. the alliance titles don't always seem to have the route they are going, especially with newer members of the alliance.

Sorry this was so long. I put more thought into it :)

StormyWaters

Planter
What I am suggesting is that the route [ie Violent Demonstrator] would be added to the player notes of an alliance member automatically set according to the troops someone would have.

I feel this idea makes the game way too automated, What's really wrong with making the user put it in himself? This should be an advantage only to the non-lazy among us.

Also what do you do in cases of the two Special Ops where you really don't know the route until either bunkers are researched, or cloners. Without those two there's no physical difference between them and someone who hasn't started a development yet.

penguin

Official Helper
Special operations would be added when someone does the technology Simple Traps, then the note would update to the sub-route when the person does one of the following Technologies: Steel Reinforced Bunkers, Poisons, or Walls and Barbed Wire.. then the note will update with the sub-route accordingly.

'With the notes already being there, this would make it much easier than having every person having their title as the name and which route they are.. this way.. it eliminates doing a hax and manually adding a note on an alliance member leaving them to think of who they were haxed by..' -Penguin
To add to this statement I posted earlier, it would also eliminate spending the money to do all theses hax0rs. Granted 19 haxors cost omly 19m, but even still.. those hax0rs could be used to hax other people rather than those in your own alliance for future reference.

I'm not going to elaberate on you personally not liking this because it's your opinion, but the question I will answer.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with putting the notes in yourself since that's the whole reason [I believe] player notes were added, but this way when someone is offline and they are getting attacked by someone else, all you would have to do is hover over their hyperlink to see which route they are.
Let's face it, not everyone in the bushtarion game is going to fiddle with the notes if they have to do it themselves because they are lazy.
I do see your point that the notes are for the people who want to use them though.

aGit

Harvester
Let's face it, not everyone in the bushtarion game is going to fiddle with the notes if they have to do it themselves because they are lazy.

that requires you to click on your alliance page and then your own nick, type stuff and you're done! i dont see why anyone could be that lazy or ignorant, if however they are, its their lose.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I don't really see the necessity to have it automatically written into player notes. I prefer using Player Titles of that sort of thing. I wouldn't really object to having routes automatically included in player notes but i just kind of disagree with that sort of automation.

The only time i have trouble remembering the routes of my fellow allied members is when round starts and for the first few days, that is assuming i haven't already taken less than 5 minutes to write in nicks/routes/Contact numbers in player notes already. But really once a round has gotten past the opening days i'm more than capable of remembering what routes certain players are.

*Shrug* I can't really come up with a good argument against this simply that I don't like it, and it just encourages more laziness which we don't really need to do. If you can't use the more than sufficient game mechanics installed, then you're an exceptionally lazy human being :D

but this way when someone is offline and they are getting attacked by someone else, all you would have to do is hover over their hyperlink to see which route they are.

That's the only good reason for implementing this, and like i said, I have no trouble remembering what routes my fellow allymates are playing so this isn't exactly a dire issue that needs fixing but i suppose in the long run i wouldn't really care :p I don't know when you last played penguin, but we *used* to have it so that you could see all your alliance players with the click of a button on the main Alliance Overview screen even when they were offline so if we brought back that functionality you could simply use Player Titles in conjunction with this.

saint1d

Head Gardener
A lot of youre issues should be addressed by the CO surely?

penguin

Official Helper
A lot of youre issues should be addressed by the CO surely?

There is no more CO saint1d, I don't remember exactly which round it was, but it was one of the things that was upgraded in age 5.0.

Unless I am missing something of course ;)

Garrett

Landscape Designer
sorry to be off topic but just noticed... so now i'm sharing ohio with davis/deathwish , illumination and now penguin?

too crowded up in this state. shall set fire and raze the state this weekend. i'm thinking we'll be indiana's parking lot or something.

Saint1d, catch up wif da times homey.

Anyway thoughts on this thread:

1) journal limit already increased to 999 id's at beginning of July. done

2) automated route tags in tooltips = no, imo. not even for own alliance. between mob notes, titles, etc etc, we might as well get rid of ally pols almost.

half the fun / challenge is doing things and having to remember to do them. you make a mistake then oops!

sure in a last second situation that we all get into, we'd love to have everything right there!

however, as with most suggestions, a vast majority seem to be all about correcting their last minute mistakes and issues. So, to ALL that have made these types of suggestions in general for the silliest of automations-

F*** O** : you want to be in an alliance, learn how to run and manage one. do and create things that work for your own alliance. quit trying to remove the need for thought and creativity.

mainly on some of these small things, stop being so goddamn lazy.

these suggestions on the whole just reek of:

"oh bushtarion, let me login here. ok press 1 button, did intel scans on the entire database and it all shows in tooltips and now it rests on my military page and already has in the attack box the ID mostly likely give me a beneficial BR based on my 'user preferences on attacking'. I just need to click 'confirm send' and then when it interfaces with NBS (due to setting auto spy at eta 3, 2 and af3) and the value of defense is some 'x' factor over my attacking value then it will auto recall"

/me sighs sadly.

aGit

Harvester
"oh bushtarion, let me login here. Ok press 1 button, did intel scans on the entire database and it all shows in tooltips and now it rests on my military page and already has in the attack box the id mostly likely give me a beneficial br based on my 'user preferences on attacking'. I just need to click 'confirm send' and then when it interfaces with nbs (due to setting auto spy at eta 3, 2 and af3) and the value of defense is some 'x' factor over my attacking value then it will auto recall"

gief! Nao!

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
"oh bushtarion, let me login here. Ok press 1 button, did intel scans on the entire database and it all shows in tooltips and now it rests on my military page and already has in the attack box the id mostly likely give me a beneficial br based on my 'user preferences on attacking'. I just need to click 'confirm send' and then when it interfaces with nbs (due to setting auto spy at eta 3, 2 and af3) and the value of defense is some 'x' factor over my attacking value then it will auto recall"
gief! Nao!
*Want*

penguin

Official Helper
Mob notes are there imo, to help alliance members put quick words or short sentances, or to just put which route they are, and which route should send defense. Not for talking in detail such as in politics, which are for more detailed stuff.. that's what I use them for anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
Garrett was joking...

I don't like this idea. It isn't difficult to remember what route each of your ally-mates is. It would be a lot of pointless coding.

Garrett

Landscape Designer
Garrett, shut up. Ohio has more population and land for everyone to live in. Pantheon is also from Ohio and the state shouldn't even make a difference on how you feel.

pantheon who?

is there somewhere I can paypal for some sort of help for you?

penguin

Official Helper
Pantheon is a very old player.. he played the beta for bushtarion when it was called something else.. he doesn't go on forums and doesn't really talk in politics or IRC.. so he's not well known, but he did get me addicted to this game.

and tobapolis, I honestly don't care if garrett was kidding or not, with text online, you have to say something about joking..

and no, there isn't a person that can help me sadly, she's kind of buried six feet below and she stopped breathing.

And now that I actually think of it.. This is a really bad idea.
If people are lazy enough to not put notes in themselves, then they shouldn't need any sort of system to put notes in.