• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Moderation Suggestion <3

harriergirl

Landscape Designer
I believe it would be helpful if every moderated post were followed up with a pm to the poster and a reason for the moderation. Not only would this help clear up initial confusion over missing posts/threads, but also it would help prevent people from making the same mistakes over and over.

I do realise that in some cases this may just bring further case of abuse down upon the mod however it's much more clear than the twighlight zone moderations :)

thanks

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I had a thought like that today when a few posts were moderated, i didn't know which mod had done the moderating because there wasn't any sign of their having done anything, apart from the posts simply being gone. And i had to ask a few of my moderators who are friends to find out what had happened to them and who had moved them.

This suggestion would greatly simplify the task. :) Thumbs up.

Enrico

Tree Surgeon
I naturally agree, given the evenings little adventure. :)

Souls

Official Helper
I sure would like to know when my posts get deleted, instead of thinking I was dreaming :(

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Why the hell this needs to be posted to suggestions? This should be automatical thing. Everything from common sense to logic says it is normal way to work if you touch someone elses property you notify that person of it.

Seeing this kind of thing posted in suggestions and the need to do so sums up exactly what is wrong with these forums and this game.

Ahead

Head Gardener
Everything from common sense to logic says it is normal way to work if you touch someone elses property you notify that person of it.

Seeing this kind of thing posted in suggestions and the need to do so sums up exactly what is wrong with these forums and this game.

Some of the mods have no common sense. Some of them don't even tell you why your post was deleted, they beat around the bush and say a load of crap that means nothing but defend their actions anyway.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
Unfortunately this suggestion would be far too time consuming.

Its far more efficient for the user to simply message a mod and ask why their post has been unapproved. We don't usually get such requests, as most people know why their post has been removed.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
It's more for the 'questionable moddings' than for every little thing. Some posts are blatantly spam/flames etc and those don't really need explaining unless you're giving out warnings and such.

And when you guys 'edit' a post, there is a warning that says 'this post was edited by Weeble for flaming' or something to that effect.

When posts are moved completely however i.e. 'deleted' there doesn't seem to be any such warning. I could be wrong, VBulletin is still a bizarre set of forums to me and seems to have an arbitrary format. An automated message would be great if that could be arranged so it's less 'time consuming' on you poor overworked moderators. (Life can be such a biatch can't it?)

If you haven't got the time for it, resign. There are plenty of other people out here willing to take up the reins if you stumble. ;)

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
It's more for the 'questionable moddings' than for every little thing. Some posts are blatantly spam/flames etc and those don't really need explaining unless you're giving out warnings and such.

And when you guys 'edit' a post, there is a warning that says 'this post was edited by Weeble for flaming' or something to that effect.

When posts are moved completely however i.e. 'deleted' there doesn't seem to be any such warning. I could be wrong, VBulletin is still a bizarre set of forums to me and seems to have an arbitrary format. An automated message would be great if that could be arranged so it's less 'time consuming' on you poor overworked moderators. (Life can be such a biatch can't it?)

If you haven't got the time for it, resign. There are plenty of other people out here willing to take up the reins if you stumble. ;)

My response was with regards to HG's suggestion, Alci.

harriergirl said:
I believe it would be helpful if every moderated post were followed up

Your response to my post has narrowed down the criteria for posts that "should be followed up with a message providing reasoning for the moderation decision".

-

Indeed, posts of the nature you describe, are followed up with a message providing reasoning. Most of these posts get an infraction, and thus require reasoning anyway.

Posts that are unapproved for being off-topic, spam, etc - I don't out of habit message the poster with reasoning, as it's fairly blatant that their post has been removed with good reason - a reason the user is fully aware of.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Posts that are unapproved for being off-topic, spam, etc - I don't out of habit message the poster with reasoning, as it's fairly blatant that their post has been removed with good reason - a reason the user is fully aware of.

These forums need more spam

ok, just a little bit. But at this point, we arent allowed any :(

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

and therein lies the core issue, at least for me. Some posts that you may consider off topic, are not in fact off topic to the rest of us, so we may sometimes go back to a thread and be like 'wtf where did my/garrett's/toby's/etc post go?' and then it will have inexplicably vanished. At which point suddenly the onus is on us, as the aggrieved party to mail a mod to find out which one of you overzealously removed a perfectly normal post. I don't find this to be an acceptable solution.

What *you*, both specifically, and in general deem to be 'off-topic' does not necessarily 'jibe' with that of the rest of the playerbase. That is my core consideration here....

Considering how 'busy' you moderators apparently are, wouldn't you be annoyed if you got mails asking you to find out where posts had gone, what had happened to them, why they were deleted etc? I'm sure Azzer would love the associated complaint mails too, given his busy schedule.

lavadog

Head Gardener
IP.Board has a feature that automatically leaves a message behind (in the original thread) when a post is being moved, with a link to its new destination. It also works when a whole thread is moved. In this case a link is placed in the board overview.

I'm sure such an add-on exists for V-Bulletin as well.

harriergirl

Landscape Designer
Unfortunately this suggestion would be far too time consuming.

Its far more efficient for the user to simply message a mod and ask why their post has been unapproved. We don't usually get such requests, as most people know why their post has been removed.

:cough: Bullshit :cough:

it takes literally nothing to pm a user. I know how busy the mods are and again I call absolute and utter bullshit.

You are not here to worry about your ego's, your time or what you should and shouldn't do.. You are a moderator to help Azzer and Azzer's playerbase is asking for a reasonable accomodation regarding the forums.

To brush the suggestion off so lightly is an example of why the suggestion needed to be made in the first place. YOU VOLUNTEERED YOUR TIME...quit complaining if we are asking you to do what you volunteered for.

lavadog

Head Gardener
^ An automated system like Garret suggested would be a way better idea than each mod mailing individually. Imo, if you're going to mail them as a person, you will get crap thrown at you "because you made a bad call" more than anything else, especially given the nature of some of the "rule breakers".

I still don't understand why everybody wants an explanation for every little thing the mods do. How much confidence do they get from having to explain everything? It will imo only open to door to more abuse of mods than there already is.

So that's why there should be some sort of bot who issues these messages for several scenarios, just as Garret suggested.

Garrett

Landscape Designer
I still don't understand why everybody wants an explanation for every little thing the mods do.

it's not every little thing, at least not in my opinion. this started with enrico's earnest if maybe misguided attempt to apply for mod.

weeble said Azzer has SAID people could PM him but there is no post ANYWHERE. So since Azzer said it once, it's understood that when you sign up for an account that you will know all of Azzer's 'declared decrees' that were "verbal"???

Yes there is some douchebaggery slipping in on this topic, but there are also some legit issues with it. Thaz all. Tis also why I want to try to come up with a solution.

lavadog

Head Gardener
Yep, and I take my hat off to you sir for doing so.

However in the opening post, it was part of the suggestion that they do so for every mod action they undertake. So that's basically where my point comes from.

I also agree with you that people who sign up for the forums, should be automatically redirected to a rules thread, that includes the decrees you speak of. Maybe even with some User's Agreement thingie, so you're 100% accountable for your rule breaking, as you've agreed to the rules. This might lead to a more clear understanding of the forum workings for the users, and a less shaky foundation for the mods to do their jobs.