-
-Ede.nl.EU.UnderNet.Org- *** Checking Ident
-
-Ede.nl.EU.UnderNet.Org- *** Found your hostname
-
-Ede.nl.EU.UnderNet.Org- *** No ident response
-
Your username is invalid.
Connect with your real username, in lowercase.
If your mail address were foo@bar.com, your username would be foo.
-
Closing Link: A_G by Ede.NL.EU.UnderNet.Org (USER: Bad username)
-
* Disconnected

What is causing this and how can I sort it out? I'm a total noob with IRC so please be patient if it's something obvious to a regular user :)

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Re: MIRC

Asking how to join undernet on bushtarion forums... weird man.
1. google it.
2. Try ww.netgamers.org if your problem is about netgamers not undernet.
3. If you have problems with any other irc server but netgamers go to their own web site.
4. Try putting something to userID

Augustus

Head Gardener

Well BW as I maybe should have explained for pedantic pople like yourself, the messages appear regardless of what server I try to join. But thankyou for your response as it helped me stumble across a solution. Changing my E-mail address in the options seemed to stop it from spinning out :)

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon

On the window where it asks you toenter your nickname and select a server there is a box to fill your email aswell. If you don't have a @ in there you get that error. So try writting augustus@ for email and will work.

Darryl

Head Gardener

'Bad username' refers to the used id that is between ! and @ in your address (ie. nick!user@host). It must comply with some specific rules:
* In a mixed-case name, if first char is upper, one more upper may appear anywhere.
* A mixed-case name must have an upper first char, and may have one other upper.
* A third upper may appear if all 3 appear at the beginning of the name, separated only by "others" (-/_/.).
* A single group of digits is allowed anywhere.
* Two groups of digits are allowed if at least one of the groups is at the beginning or the end.
* Only one '-', '_', or '.' is allowed (or two, if not consecutive), but not as the first or last char.
* No other special characters are allowed.
* Name must contain at least one letter.

It's nothing to do with the nickname, it's the user. So, if you're using mIRC, you need to change what is in the "email address" box at options->connect. If you do this and can't quite see what the problem is, paste what is in that box and I'll point out what's wrong. Note that there's no reason for you to put your real email address in there, darrylpwns@blah.blah works just as well. ;)

DS pretty much pointed out where the problem is, but I thought the list of rules might be of further use.

Markb

Harvester
Community Operator

its not in the RFC, its something the Undernet IRC server coders came up with to try to reduce malicious bots connecting. NetGamers uses the same IRC server software as Undernet, albeit with a few differences regarding modes.