Har har :(

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon
This is the true story of how i installed windows XP after beeing unsatisfied with windows Vista and deciding i need to downgrade back after just 2 days. No animals suffered from this and no original cd's were used either ^^

So Windows Vista was a pain in the ass. Couldn't find a driver to work with my sound card properly, had some compatibility problems with some programs and so on and i quickly decided to move back to windows XP. The previous XP version i used had some small problem tho, for some reason the settings i saved in some of my programs wouldn't be left in registry after restart. Like in tv tunner i needed to import the setting files every time i was restarting. So i decided to do the things proper this time and i scouted some torrent sites for the ultimate version of windows xp. WOW i actually found one called "Ultimate" and had so many thumbs up i said to myself she's the one :D I downloaded, burned it to a dvd and proceed with installing.
I could almost feel the fresh smell of the new XP desktop when the installation asks me for a dll file. I use my thing above my shoulders to come with every path i can think of for that file to be in but no luck. There is no browse button either .. so i press skip. The installer kindly tells me installation has been aborted by user :| While i was thinking of a plan i start the whole installation process from start just to be stoped right near end by the very same error. I think i need to get online to get another copy or check this file if it's full or what's wrong with it .. but for that i need a working pc. Sooo long story short i installed Vista again. I check file size, was the exact same as it was written in the help file but for some reason it wasn't working for me. I used Winace to get inside the ISO and see what was the path for the missing file ( Setup\Hom1CD\i386 ) Damn how come i didn't thought of that .. it was like the next path in my book. So i format again to get rid of any Vista marks and prepare the hdd for the glorious comeback of win XP. I proceed with instalation, it gives me same error again and i try with the path i've noted down earlier. It works ! woowoo :D It asks me for about 10 other files and i write same path again and it works every time ! I thought i had this one in the bag :D
It finally installs everything, i can see the awsome look of a clean desktop so i rush to get the updates , firewall and antivirus asap. First things first i need to setup my internet line. I sort the settings out and i try to connect but simultaneusly it tells me destination unreacheble or something of the sort. I panic. Try a few good more times .. same result. Thinking i might have missed a file in those 10 or 20 i had to write the path i start with the installation from scratch once again. When it tells me BOO I can't haz za file i slowly check for each file to write the right path so it can digest it and install everything right. It finishes instalation and i run to new connection setup aaaaaaaand it tells me the very same thing !!! At this point i feel like screaming or beating a poor innocent person :mad:
I take all my anger and unleash it on the dvd with the win XP breaking it in many little pieces. Oh man that felt awsome .. for about 10 seconds. As i was cleaning the room of all the small pieces from an ex dvd i had a glance at the window and saw it was slightly raining :eek: And from my experience even if i have a pretty solid cable connection when it rains i often loose internet for several hours. Now i didn't know if the earlier installation was bad or it was just the rain messing up with my connection so there was no time to waste, i get another blank dvd and try to write on it the very same stuff i had on the dvd i just broke earlier. However there was a small problem .. the soft i used to burn the dvd first time told me the media drive is unwriteble !!? I try another blank dvd .. same problem, another blank dvd same problem .. an old one that was rewriteble it tells me i have to format first so i format first and then it tells me Yo' doc, that's a cd i need a dvd soooooooo i give up.
It was late and i was tired and getting closer and closer to a heart attack so i decided i'll put to download the same torrent once again (even if the size of the iso was exactly as it was written in the help file) and this time i'll even use winrar instead winace since the archive was .rar and i was too superstitious at this point.
I even got a burning soft with everything included, to be sure i'm all set for next try in the morning. I woke up a few hours later by the sound of pc fans and the light coming from monitor, i saw the burning soft is all set, the win torrent was over 90% so i close the pc to get some peace and quiet till morning.

Chapter II: The morning

So i wake up horrified by the pain that's going to come and with a severe need to be online (I'm addicted :( ) I start bitcomet again, i see my download it's at 99.8% and think oh yeah, i'm almost there ! Download starts slowly with some 20-30 KB/s and it stays 99.8% for half hour while it says it keeps downoading :| I go and check what others said about this download and apparently many moan about beeing stucked at 99.8% :| Now i have the old download on a different partition and it's complete or so it claims but i'm superstitious and need the new download to finish !! :p I wait some more, force download, close bitcomet and open again, restart and finally in the end somebody with file complete must have got online and my download finishes :D
I use the ultra burner soft with the ultra new win download to burn in a ultra sexy blank dvd aaand it works :O Now i have the same dvd as i broke last night but i'm confident it's going to work. So i start with the installation once again, and again at one point towards end it tells me it needs a file. By this time i thought i knew everything about this torrent and i write fast setup\HOM1CD\i386 aaand .. it doesn't work :| I try different variations and can't get it to work, i have a browse button this time but the dvd rom is unreacheble !!? :mad: I can browse my hdd but what use as i have nothing useful there. I skip the files, it finishes instalation and one of the skipped files was Iexplorer.exe so now not a chance of getting online either to see what i could download to fix this. Can't setup connection or do anything.
I try to open the iso to save the files i need on my hdd so when it asks and can't see my dvd rom i can give the files from hdd instead. Surprise surprise i had nothing to open the iso with tho, and ofc no way of getting online to download. Sooooooooooooo back at square 1, formating XP and getting Vista back. From Vista i open the ISO, i save the whole directory that i need on the hdd and again i wipe vista and start installing XP. It asks again for files and again dvdrom is unreacheble but i have the files on hdd and the installer loves them !! It asks for more and i give it everything it needs!!
The moment of truth, everything is installed, i have a brand new clean desktop in front of me and i run to setup my connection and YEEEAAAAHHHHHHHH!!! I'm online WOOOOHOOO :D:D:D
Even if i formated the win partition before last install it still asks me to pick one of the 3 win XP when i boot but hey, who's counting! I'm online and i got my firewall up, antivirus, bush is loading, mirc is running and it feels so good ^^

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Har har :(

Astounding genius! :oops:

Monk3h

Weeder
Re: Har har :(

No way, i encountered an almost identicle problem when i bought my new PC. but i had my old one to do the internet parts so no need for reinstall. o_O