Curious George

Lupus

Head Gardener
what do u think of sorc?

thinking about playing them next round...

suggestions about ratios, what to target, whether dragons are needed etc

thanks for any advice given!

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
solo or allied?

offensive or defensive? (active or no?)

i've gone solo dragons two rounds and was top solo both times all round. I went ~1:2:4 sorc:dragon:IG - But I was mainly working on being extremely defensive. Targetted puppets, allied poms in smaller allies at night with weaker defenses or in general poorly set up routes such as mass terrorists/pbs or robos with very little CWs.

Overall it's a pretty weak route. Much better routes out there. Sorc's are a complete waste of time so if you don't plan to get dragons you're going to have a pretty useless round - allied or solo. Sirens have isolated uses, but they're extremely weak firepower so I never bothered with them.

Max

Garden Designer
The sorc route is fantastic, and extremely fun. It is also infinitely variable to play: you CAN target any route in the game with the right route setup.

Whilst Iamsmart sees the route as weak, I find it incredibly strong for the reason that Iron Golems have health. They may not look it in the stats but those guys have enough health to survive strikers / assassins / RPGs and a whole lot more! They are the ultimate in lethal flak for your sorcs OR dragons, depends what you are after.

I personally love dragons, because their damage output is incredible. If you catch offline solos, you will demolish them. I was repeatedly attacking at 130-180% of me when I played solo dragon and frequently winning against SOs, Puppets and Thug players.

If you want to save the cash, FFX proved that playing Golems + Sorcs alone is incredibly fruitful, with the golems to destroy the flak and the sorcs to fire on the leftovers.

In terms of ratios, I say buy up to suit your needs! My ratios were constantly changing to suit the enemy. If you want to bounty hunt a TL, buy sirens. If you want to kill an SO player, buy dragons. If you want to destroy a PoM, buy lots of sorcs.

If no dragons and you want to make the Golem + Sorc combo work, there's a simple equation you'll need, to figure out how many golems to send to kill the flak before the sorcs fire:

Total number of enemy troops / 4 = Golems required to kill all the enemy flak.

Warning though doesn't remove all the basics, so watch out for that :D But works on the whole and lets your Sorcs annihilate any leftovers.

The only routes I would avoid attacking (if using dragons) are RPGs, Strikers, CWs and mass Harriers. The route is better suited to HD on the whole. However, if you scrap the dragons and concentrate on Sorcs, you can beef your HD and destroy Strikers and Robos, just so long as you remove the flak first!!! ;)

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
I have to agree with max here, Whilst the route is not perfect (none are) it is still incredibly powerful, You get an early-round flak killer for alliances that can be sent ETA 1, you have 2 very powerful lethals that target all (sure, makes things a bit harder cause you have to kill flak first, but it works) and you have a stunner that gets great ratios on TL and other semi-health based units..

Also - dragons can mash RPG.. You need a LOT of snipers to clear out all the health that is there. I found this out the hard way a few rounds ago when I was RPG :p 40m RPG, 10m Sniper was just not enough.. you need almost 1:1 to win the fight.(Snipers don't do as much health damage as they did LAST time I played RPG)

Nickk

Harvester
i think as a solo you pretty much need to have dragons to survive and even with dragons you are extremely weak mid tick. With regards to attacking, expect most of your targets to move out to mid tick you, if they don't then, expect to destroy on range tick >:).
As max said avoid RPG heavy, harrier heavy or robo routes, otherwise you stand a fair chance.

if you plan on playing in an alliance it may be worthwhile considering attacking with someone else with a terrorist/sorc combo which is awesome. Clem and I wrecked havoc with that combo a few rounds back.

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
im not sure where max got IG's having health but im 99% sure they don't have much more than the norm :p Unless he means doing health damage.

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
Looking at the examples he gave, I've come to the conclusion that he did not mean health damage.

Davs

Garden Designer
I feel a need to advocate sirens and witches. Both pretty effective when used with dragons, as Ogluk showed last round. You'll have to ask him for details, though.

Max

Garden Designer
im not sure where max got IG's having health but im 99% sure they don't have much more than the norm :p Unless he means doing health damage.

I'm surprised you never came across this Iamsmart!

Iron Golems do indeed pack a lot of health, surprisingly. RPGs and Strikers fail miserably when it comes to killing them alone, always allowing you to get the Golem+Sorc combo firing.

In fact, I even chose to face mass assassins on many occasions using Golem lethal flak. Looking at the manual statistics you would think I was insane, but the health of the Golems makes it possible to win with ease.

And then of course there is the chance of Golem invincibility :D But unfortunately after a round of playing I've yet to crack their secret and just assume it's a random occurrence :p Anyone else found the secret and care to share it? ;)