• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Bring back the wiki!!!

flameharvester

Head Gardener
Now I know you have read the title and gone NO!... just no..

However, I have some reasoning for my suggestion:

1) The manual is an excellent source of official information and should be retained and maintained.
2) The wiki offers an alternative, unofficial, user based, information source.
3) I personally have always gotten heavily involved in Wiki's for every game I have played, I know for myself (and based on personal experience, others) there is a great deal of enjoyment to be had in building a wiki, it offers a place to become an active member of the community in an alternative to the forums.
4) A wiki can offer many things, its not just limited to information on the game:
a) game information
b) Unit information
c) Game Tactics
d) Round stories, gives them more longevity, makes for an interesting read, etc ,etc

there are many other positive factors and the negatives are canceled out by maintaining the manual as the official resource.

Will expand on this later short on time.

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
Then get rid of the manual... ? Or expand the manual by adding a place that people can post strategies and advice. :p

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
It has a place where a few have been posted, but you cannot add anymore (without going through a helper)

I'm talking about making a place where anyone can post them.. (with perhaps an acceptance process)

Dimitar

Landscape Designer
It has a place where a few have been posted, but you cannot add anymore (without going through a helper)

I'm talking about making a place where anyone can post them.. (with perhaps an acceptance process)

How is going through a helper a bad thing? I'd much rather have helpers approve stuff before they're posted as a (somewhat) official guideline. In a place where everyone can post we'd be getting strategies from masterminds like penguin. No, thanks

Davs

Garden Designer
I generally wouldn't be against a wiki, were it not for the fact that there are many people who play this game who think they understand how every game mechanic works, but are simply wrong on several of them. Conversations (read: circular arguments) between such individuals and those who actually know how the game works occur too often for a wiki to really be feasible as people will be constantly "updating" pages with their interpretation of how something does or doesn't work - making it a pretty unreliable source of information (i.e. a waste of everyone's time) unless there are mods who spend all of their time checking any and every update.

Not to mention the fact that we already have a manual that explains how everything works (including, believe it or not, flakking :O) so there simply isn't a need for a wiki anyway.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I generally wouldn't be against a wiki, were it not for the fact that there are many people who play this game who think they understand how every game mechanic works, but are simply wrong on several of them. Conversations (read: circular arguments) between such individuals and those who actually know how the game works occur too often for a wiki to really be feasible as people will be constantly "updating" pages with their interpretation of how something does or doesn't work - making it a pretty unreliable source of information (i.e. a waste of everyone's time) unless there are mods who spend all of their time checking any and every update.

Not to mention the fact that we already have a manual that explains how everything works (including, believe it or not, flakking :O) so there simply isn't a need for a wiki anyway.

Agreed in every word. We need an updated, accurate, and clear manual, not a wiki. When we are trying to attract new players, why would we split their attention even further? (Where they would undoubtedly run into contradictory, or downright incorrect, advice?)

No.

Max

Garden Designer
Azzer tried to get the playerbase interested in writing a wiki database. But it NEVER worked. Nice idea - but the playerbase just wasn't interested in dedicating the time, even after Azzer really tried to push for it.

Have players instead contribute to the re-writing of the manual, including refreshed player suggestions for routes! It's always the first port of call when I play a new game :) (yes, I am a man who always reads the manual first, I know...)

flameharvester

Head Gardener
I like contributing and given the chance I would contribut to the manual I still like the idea of a wiki, but I guess thats just me.