PS3 or Xbox 360??

Jake

Weeder
I have saved up a bit of dollar and want to spent it on yet another massive degree distraction. But I just can't pick between them??

Have plenty of mates with both of them and they all seem to think which ever one they have is best. At the moment I am slightly leaning towards PS3 but if I could get some other opinions that would be great!

tomtree

Head Gardener
Well would say the specs of either console are fairly irrelevant because whilst technically ps3 is better it doesnt make much of a difference overall.

as far as games are concerned the majority of the big name games come out on either both or just xbox. there are some that are ps3 only but not that many, and there are quite a lot of good xbox only games.

the other thing to take into account is that if you want to play online you have to pay around £30+ a year on xbox whilst it is free on ps3. a rumour (not sure as to how true it is) is that most of the top end gamers play mostly on xbox.

ultimately if i were you i would have a look at what games you really want and make sure you buy a console that they will play on (may also be worth looking at future games coming out).

i personally have a xbox 360 and think that for me it was the best choice as i love gears of war, halo, boishock, etc. that are all xbox only. basically what im saying is there are pros and cons of both, but i think the xbox is better (and cheaper).

TehPantz

Head Gardener
Ps3 is my recommendation. I have owned an operated a ps3 for 2 years now and I love it. It has had no problems and continues to work great. My roommate has an xbox360 which has died twice (rrod) needing replacement every time.

Aside: It also depends on what games you like to play since both systems have exclusive releases.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I vastly prefer the Xbox 360 over the Ps3.

I like the exclusive games for xbox far more than those for ps3.

I hate the ps3 controller with a passion, it's just atrocious in comparison to the tremendously ergonomic design and effortless comfort of the 360 controller. This will be a controversial point; I love the fact that the xbox controllers are battery powered. I don't mind shelling out a couple bucks a year to buy a giant pack of batteries (which i'll be using anyways in other items) and be guaranteed battery power whenever I need it. I can't stand the fact you have to plug in or get the stand for the PS3 controllers. It's really frustrating since I tend to play with my friends while we've been drinking or something, and inevitably we forget to recharge the remotes and that really sucks. It is a huge no no in my books to be unable to play if i forget to recharge the controllers. You can still play, of course, but then you have to sit super close with that stupid goddamn charging wire. I dunno, maybe there's a way around it I haven't come across (didn't look *all* that hard since we mainly played xbox) but it just seems silly to me to not use batteries. More environmentally friendly, I suppose. :S

I don't mind paying for XBL since it's a better service than the PS network, with which I have had nothing but trouble and is a distant second in terms of quality. Hence why it's free, it's *****.

My xbox has died twice in 6 years, needing replacement both times. It wasn't ideal, frankly but it was replaced once very promptly (like a week) and the second time was a fiasco. However, that was due to the shipping company's fault, not microsoft lol. The early version of the 360 were riddled with component issues, but i'd say that's been eliminated by now. I have the most recent (pre kinect) elite 120GB and it's been working flawlessly for 18 months now. I've put it through 3 apartment moves and it's been dusty, dropped, flipped, frozen, and spilled on. Still works like the day i unwrapped it from the box. I'd say in my experience the console issues have been worked out now.

The only con to an xbox is the lack of Blu ray player because those suckers will run you for an extra couple hundred bucks. That being said, I would never get a PS3 simply because of the blu ray player.

I am not a microsoft/xbox fanboi, but I've lived in a house with both systems at the same time and we always played xbox, never PS3. Maybe we're weird, but most people I know are Xbox players and prefer it to the PS3. Hope some of this helps!

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
I've had four Xbox 360 consoles and two originals since their release. I had the first one, and admittedly the PS2 was all-around the better console. But only because it was the more standardised platform, where there was no competitor.
Now the Xbox has had a chance to show it can do bigger and better than Sony. If you want to play blu-ray, or you want to play a few unique games that generally get average reviews, pick the PS3. If you want a games console, that has a brilliant networking interface and unique game collection, grab an 360/Kinect.
They are your options, because the PS3 has always been about showing off Sony's hardware (ie shoving a Blu-Ray in the PS3 and selling it for less than a stand-alone player), rather than actually creating something that is of all-around good value.
I mean, their 'new' front line of advertising? The 'Move'. I mean, where could they of possibly came up with that idea? Oh, it's just the Wii in different packaging with even more unimaginitive game names. Oh and the name is just the same thing as 'Kinect', using a less fancy word. Why bother releasing something as copy-cat and just plain stupid as that, just for the sake of it? It bemuses me.

WackyJacky

Head Gardener
I love the Xbox. I've played on friends PS3's and it just isn't the same experience. The competition is lacking (I can get a far higher k/d on PS3 than I can on 360.) The PS3 UI is confusing to me, but than again I'm not that used to it so it probably wouldn't be a problem for you. The PS3 controller sucks, it feels like a 99 cent toy.

The only downside is that Xbox's break constantly. My xbox has broken 3x in the last year or two.... I would have been better off purchasing a PS3 money wise.

All I play is COD so unless you really want Xbox specific titles, I'd say go PS3 and use an xbox controller :)

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
I've had two xbox's which have broken. But, despite that, I'd still choose it over the PS3, which says a lot.

The controller is better, they have better exclusive game titles, the user interface is better, and xbox live is blatantly superior.

The only reason I'd get a PS3 is for the blueray.

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer
Xbox on every score. Blueray doesn't interest me as I don't want to pay extra for the DVDs. Its a gaming console to me, not my pc. That being said if youre seriously wanting that little bit better quality film viewing and to pay a bit more for it, then the ps3 sure.

Exclusive titles for each?

Halo series was epic at the time but is no more (Xbox)
FF is now on both consoles
Heavy rain was awesome but has a short life span!!! (Ps3)
Gears of war is a very good game (Xbox)

The interface and menus on 360 are vastly superior. Cleaner, fresher and more community friendly.

You get a free mic with 360 and the sound quality is top class compared to the ps3 mics which you have to buy and have TERRIBLE quality. Also when I played on my mates ps3, barely anyone had a mic.

Xbox gets constant updates and will get bonus content for games first too.

Mine has never broke.

Xbox for me.

Jake

Weeder
I hate the ps3 controller with a passion, it's just atrocious in comparison to the tremendously ergonomic design and effortless comfort of the 360 controller. This will be a controversial point; I love the fact that the xbox controllers are battery powered. I don't mind shelling out a couple bucks a year to buy a giant pack of batteries (which i'll be using anyways in other items) and be guaranteed battery power whenever I need it. I can't stand the fact you have to plug in or get the stand for the PS3 controllers. It's really frustrating since I tend to play with my friends while we've been drinking or something, and inevitably we forget to recharge the remotes and that really sucks. It is a huge no no in my books to be unable to play if i forget to recharge the controllers. You can still play, of course, but then you have to sit super close with that stupid goddamn charging wire. I dunno, maybe there's a way around it I haven't come across (didn't look *all* that hard since we mainly played xbox) but it just seems silly to me to not use batteries. More environmentally friendly, I suppose. :S

Completely agree with this actually, controller sits much better in your hand and the analog sticks not being at the same height are far better

timtadams

Landscape Designer
I've had four Xbox 360 consoles and two originals since their release. I had the first one, and admittedly the PS2 was all-around the better console. But only because it was the more standardised platform, where there was no competitor.
Now the Xbox has had a chance to show it can do bigger and better than Sony. If you want to play blu-ray, or you want to play a few unique games that generally get average reviews, pick the PS3. If you want a games console, that has a brilliant networking interface and unique game collection, grab an 360/Kinect.
They are your options, because the PS3 has always been about showing off Sony's hardware (ie shoving a Blu-Ray in the PS3 and selling it for less than a stand-alone player), rather than actually creating something that is of all-around good value.
I mean, their 'new' front line of advertising? The 'Move'. I mean, where could they of possibly came up with that idea? Oh, it's just the Wii in different packaging with even more unimaginitive game names. Oh and the name is just the same thing as 'Kinect', using a less fancy word. Why bother releasing something as copy-cat and just plain stupid as that, just for the sake of it? It bemuses me.

oh the hypocrisy. critisize sony for being so copy cat...yet the kinect??? oh puh-lease

As for an 'all rounder...the ps3 was one of THE BEST blu players on the market. And the cheapest. Now its not the cheapest, but still one of the better options, just for a blu-ray player (and thats all the upscaling and quality crap)

Aside from the technicalities, BOTH are good games machines (gamewise they are the same, duh. Whos getting the magnifying glass out??.

but i'll say why the PS3 is my choice

You want it to play games only (not online) get Xbox. Im confident their failure rates are no longer an inhibiting issue.

Ive played on both, my friends have 360s, and theyve been through a lot (of consoles i mean). But f*** are they noisy (with their necessary cooling packs), and thats with the transformer on the outside! Serious fail there. BUT, apparently the newer models are quieter, so not so much of an issue..

If you want to play online...like i do 95% of the time, then it depends what you need!
APPARENTLY Xbox has better online stuff...(imo, i doesnt matter cause i only use online for gaming). However, the concentration of annoying little 12 year olds playing MA rated games is alot higher on the Xbox (thats a VERY BAD thing)
However, you gotta pay to play online with xbox, playstation is FREE.

For me, playstation does a lot more than Xbox (inbuilt wifi, quieter, slimmer (looks cooler), free online play, Blu-ray)

The only thing xbox does that i want my ps3 to is be able to play music off the HDD while playing a game.

Also, i can use wifi and create a media centre on my laptop to play music/movies off my laptop, although i wouldnt be surprised if you could do similar on the Xbox

i note twigley claims xbox menu is more community friendly, lucky for me, i dont give a damn about a playstaion community. The Xross media bar does the job for me.

Also, i notice that Xbox players prefer the xbox controller! Its interesting, because i prefer the PS3 controller over the xbox. I play many hours at a time and have never IN MY LIFE had a problem with the PS3 controller. However, i play a few hours on the xbox and i get sore points on the palm of my hand...I must just have to get use to it

I like the xbox controllers in that you have replacable battery packs, but then that contributes to making it bulky, in which case i prefer the PS3 controller.

Aside///
And lets not kid ourselves, blu-ray is vastly superior to DVD quality wise. Whenever i watch a blu-ray i think, wow is that clear! (at points) Thats not to say you cant enjoy a DVD as much! I completely understand when people dont give a hoot about bluray
Also Twigley, have you seen the price of Blu-rays lately?! They are often as cheap as normal DVDs! Sure, the new releases might be $10 more expensive cause they can be, but they drop soon enough

Last edited:

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I've had two xbox's which have broken. But, despite that, I'd still choose it over the PS3, which says a lot.

The controller is better, they have better exclusive game titles, the user interface is better, and xbox live is blatantly superior.

The only reason I'd get a PS3 is for the blueray.

Pretty much agree with toby here...

I have both a PS3 and an Xbox360 and if you are only going to get one i would get the xbox every time. As tim (i think :D) said there are more good games that are xbox exclusive than ps3 so if you get an xbox you cover all bases. Also while you have to pay for xbox live after experiencing both toby is definitely right in saying its far superior to the ps3.
Saying that I personally think alot of games look better on ps3 graphics wise, atm cos i have both i only buy games for ps3 that are either exclusive (mgs4 being the reason i bought it) or that i will never want to play online. Bluray is a nice feature but tbh with the price of blueray discs it would be a decision maker for me between the to consoles.

Also, the new xbox looks badass and is quieter, has built in wireless and kinect ready. A 250gb harddrive one can be picked up pretty cheap considering what your getting. (Plus you dont have to worry about any RROD issues etc ;)) Edit: About £190 next day delivery if you get it on its own without a game

Long story short, in my opinion, if you are getting a single console go for the xbox360. :)

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
I don't have much experience with the PS3, but I can tell you why I like the xbox 360.

First off - I had the original xbox that first came out (20g hardrive, white, scratched disc) up until about 2 months ago, worked fine! Its got the rrod now, but it lasted quite a time without a problem..

The $60/year for gold membership isn't that bad, considering I never have network issues with them and I get updates quite regularly.

I love being able to watch netflix through my xbox, it makes things so simple, and I don't have to get the DvDs

Blue rays are overpriced, and the quality isn't a big enough improvement in my opinion, I'd just as soon watch it in High-Def and be happy..

The menu is easy to navigate, I have never had problems moving around, even in the original.

I love the controller, Once you get past teh sweaty palms (I have hot hands!) its very comfortable, and easy to use. and Im fairly certain I could get a controller with a built-in fan..

PS3 - The only thing I know about them is that they have a blue-ray player, They don't have Halo, and the internet is free. For the rest, you'll have to look it up or rely on the other posts here. ^_^

Personally, I love my xbox, and I don 't game much anymore :)

Selvy

Beginner
Personally the community on the PS3 is slightly better than that on Xbox. But only slightly, if your going to be playing with friends then it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Just mute all the asshats you come across.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
Personally the community on the PS3 is slightly better than that on Xbox. But only slightly, if your going to be playing with friends then it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Just mute all the asshats you come across.

Practically everyone on XBL that is under 17,

LuckySports

Landscape Designer

Practically everyone on XBL that is under 17,

hmm, almost everyone I know on XBL is 21 or older.. Of course, this is an american server.. ^_^

Davs

Garden Designer
I haven't played much on the 360, but I personally love the PS3. As for the controller argument, having been far more used to the playstation-style controller for years, I personally find it to be more comfortable than the 360 controller - but there isn't a big enough difference for it to be particularly noticeable imo. Omg they moved the left stick? Radical.

As for exclusive games, 2 have of the best games I've ever played are Uncharted and Uncharted 2. Both (as far as I'm aware) are PS3 only - and with 3 in the making I'm happy I went for the PS3 option. There are a fair few more games on 360, mainly because programmers find it easier to write games for. That being said, I doubt that there will be a huge amount of new game specifically for 360 except those for Kinect nowadays - even ME2 is on PS3 now. And most of the best games (Call of Duty series being the obvious example) are on both consoles.

PSN is not as good as Xbox Live - but considering the fact that it's free I can't see any major issues with it. The only problems I ever had with PSN was when COD4 first came out it was obvious that they hadn't realised quite how many people would use it so it lagged like hell for a while, but in my experience that hasn't been a problem for a very long time now.

Obviously, though, the main benefit to PS3 is blu-ray. Other than that, I wouldn't say there was actually all that much to separate the two - although the noise that comes from 360s when they're playing discs is a hell of a lot louder than that of PS3s - made watching "No Country For Old Men" in my mate's flat rather annoying. But that could just have been because it was an older model of the 360, so that might not be a problem anymore.