• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

If I were to start bushtarion from scratch I would...

Max

Garden Designer
... just because of recent discussions on IRC and forums, and on a purely hypothetical basis at this stage, tell me this:

If you could start bushtarion from scratch, what would you keep? What would you change? What do you consider core and what do you consider chaff?

Might be interesting to see if the playerbase has a general consensus on what they consider most important, and what changes they would love to see.

For example, to start things off, I like being able to play with pure text and would always want this as an option, however I think it would be awesome to have images for each unit and maybe even an image for each development/construction :)

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
The Battle system is probably the big one.. Its more or less the core of the entire game.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
The farming aspect is surplus to requirements, and probably cost us hundreds of possible players.

Also the fantasy route was a massive waste of time.

Alliance HQs could be a great attraction if some work was put into them, adding a whole new tactical dimension to warfare.

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
Remove solo, random alliances, each alliance votes for leader, each alliance can have 4-8 'drafts' to choose players (have to pay BC's for). Can only delete account once a week.

Much higher decreasing income as your land gets higher. 10k land only gives ~20% more income than 5k, etc.

Economy system may need more to it, I haven't put much thought in to it though. Kinda boring all you have to do is buy/steal land, fill it, buy harvesters and that's all there is to it. Build buildings on land? I don't know.

Assuming the first two ideas happened, no alliances allowed to work together. Possibly each alliance can have 1 allied alliance (can only change once per round?) they can work with.

No-Dachi

Official Helper
Regarding the AHQ: Sordes made a brilliant suggestion regarding them that could form the basis of the new AHQ system.

I would keep the battle system. I would be in favour of keeping the planting system, as it makes it sort of unique, but I can see how this is a deterrant.

I would remove fantasy - and work on getting it more paper-rock-scissor again. I would up the eta of every unit by 1, making each geo-attack take 1 hour each way, and giving players a bit more time to respond to pranks etc. I would revamp the AHQ system. I would look into implementing some sort of "community" that each player randomly appears within, which would get the same ally defence boost that alliances gets. These 10man clicks would act as a way of getting new players into the establishment - alliances would still be there of course. There's a lot of balancing and thoughts needed for that to work, but it's something I would look into, as a way of bonding players together.

I would add a way of preparing and sending up to five mobs simultanously, from the same page. That this isn't already in place is pure bullshit.
I'd revamp the whole HF system. Same with ally wars. And I'd look into balancing the game with units having twice the HP/AR and the same damage. Meaning that it's possible to land without destroying the target, leaving players with some units and something to play with when they return the next day.

A way of creating alliances outside of the game, with their own home page attached to bushtarion. SO that the alliances would stick together for more rounds, with a possible increase of size as the playerbase expands. Also, the ally score should be total score/number of players. Making a small elite ally still viable for rank 1, while giving newbs protection of the masses.

An app/something similar is a must for gaining new players. A way must be found to implement this with the standard world without making either version superior in form of playability or simplifiedness.

Steve_God

Official Helper
At the core is the Rock/Paper/Scissors style of routes, and the ability to gain ranks quickly if you're active, skilled, and determined (eg, keep stealing land and able to keep it)

Also adding in a feature around alliance HQs to make them more central to alliance wars.

Alvestein

Garden Designer

Like I said on IRC, it's not really the same.

Theres only the same bunch of people posting on forums and the same bunch of people reading.

Global pols had the same bunch of people posting but it also threw it in the faces of people who may not have known there was much of a community here, maybe drawing more people to become more involved with the community. And community brings keepers!

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

Like I said on IRC, it's not really the same.

Theres only the same bunch of people posting on forums and the same bunch of people reading.

Global pols had the same bunch of people posting but it also threw it in the faces of people who may not have known there was much of a community here, maybe drawing more people to become more involved with the community. And community brings keepers!

And those people were dicks who spammed the **** out of the place and got it removed.

edd

Tree Surgeon
Remove solo, random alliances, each alliance votes for leader, each alliance can have 4-8 'drafts' to choose players (have to pay BC's for). Can only delete account once a week.

I would agree to remove solo because as it is now if you are very active it's super easy and if you are not then you haven't a hope of doing well. I do think alliances should be random but i don't think that drafts are a good idea (and they weren't in IC either). Am i right in thinking you used to be able to have 2pnaps (that you could defend) as well as being allied? i think that might be a good idea.

I definitely think more can be done with the AHQ sadly i don't have any ideas :( but i like Steve's thinking

Last edited:

Yochoko

Head Gardener

I would agree to remove solo because as it is now if you are very active it's super easy and if you are not then you haven't a hope of doing well.

i object for removing solo!!

there are people who don't aim at playing 'well' nor playing high ranked as a solo. they just want to have fun with the time they can contribute to the game. easy or difficult isn't the question. it's the liberty of being able to choose to play alone or with one or two friends. it's the freedom without pranks and sleepless nights. there are people who like to play the game this way depending on the rounds! don't exclude them! i think it's okay to keep both allies AND solos. 'coz personally, if i have to choose either play allied or not play, i'd take a round off easy and then dunno when or whether i come back to play or not.

but anyway, probably agreeing/disagreeing isn't the purpose of this thread. :X sorryyyyyy!!!

Iamsmart

Landscape Designer
The only reason I put in removing solo is because I don't think having a choice outside of random alliances would work. I love solo, I've played solo a ton. Would love to see it stay (though it's a bit broken in some regards).

I think the drafts would be necessary ed. Ideally I wouldn't want them, but people want to play with a few of their friends (note: random alliances almost certainly wouldn't work in current Bushtarion because people are too used to being able to pick their entire alliance, would drive a lot of the remaining player base away). Also it adds a cool deminsion of having a small group of players throughout the rounds playing together, doing well, having fun, being known, or whatever.

Also, drafts were fine for IC, although possibly somewhat poorly managed.

Elevnos

BANNED
How about if you want to be part of a random alliance at the start then there can be an option to be assigned into one about a day before the round starts ticking, with other players who said they would be part of a random alliance, then spread the players out (more or less) evenly?

Steve_God

Official Helper
I definitely think more can be done with the AHQ sadly i don't have any ideas :( but i like Steve's thinking
There have been plenty of ideas bantered around at various Bush Meets about this idea - if the game were to be developed, I'm sure I could raid a few brain cells to try and remember what they were :p

I would ensure all allys were balanced,eg players had skill levels and an ally could only have a certain amout of skilled and non skilled players.

Rather then the way it is today all the best players in two allys...Borrring.

LuckySports

Landscape Designer
Fully Random alliances would never work..

1. You cannot "meaasure" a person's ability to play. People excel in different areas. So balancing alliances just can't happen.

2. People put in different effort. Its not even about activity, Some people just put more effort into maintaining an alliance than others. When you have 2-3 people doing ALL the work, the will end up quitting.

3. Most people still sign up to play with friends. Take that option away from them and you will lose another rather large portion of the playerbase. Removing solo would have a similar, though likely lesser effect.

The only way random alliances could "sort of" work would be to allow a "core" to form, and then arrange the various "cores" randomly to try to create a semi-random selection of folks. You are still probably going to kill the game off, but slower than making it completely random.

flameharvester

Head Gardener
If any of you have played utopia- the format for random alliances there is the only way it would ever work.

It could be measured by lots of things,activity,amount of rounds exp,amount of portals etc.

Like take this round for example,all ready over which is so sad-why?Because the 20 best players are in one ally.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
If who I was allied with was controlled by the server, and the ability to go solo was removed, I would definitely quit. Random alliances just would not work, and solo is such a great way to play when you can't, or don't want to, commit to an alliance.

Take away the freedom to choose how we want to play, and where, and I guarantee the remaining playerbase will dissolve overnight.