• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Friends/Ignores/Notes Unification

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Currently we have 3 extremely similar, but different, systems in the Friends List, Ignore List and Player Notes.

To me, this seems extremely redundant. Especially if you are using 'Friends Only' and thus need/want to add players to both your Friends List and Player Notes list.

As such, I suggest merging these 3 systems into 1. We can have a page, either under the journal (as the current player notes) or under mail (as the current friends/ignore lists). When adding a player to this "list", you have to enter their ID then you can add any note you want and there should also be checkboxes for friend and ignore. The "list" displaying these notes etc can be just like the current player notes list but with additional indictators showing whether or not they are on your friends/ignore lists.

On the same topic but slightly different to the main suggestion:

As f0xx has said, can these notes not be deleted when a player deletes - make them account based rather than ID based (although wiped at the end of round, of course).

Currently, if you click "Add note" on the player profile page, it automatically adds a blank note for that player. If you've already got a note for that player, said note is overwritten by this "blank note". Instead of this happening, when you add a note for a player who already has a note, could you be taken to the "edit note" screen instead?

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes there is a re-working of this in the making, in fact did I mention that exact system on IRC/the forums already? Because that was exactly the plan - moving it to a single "Player list" with a single note per ID, which always shows in tooltips, and then two optional, additional checkboxes next to each player you enter, one for flagging/unflagging them as a friend, and one for ignore.

I was going to put it under messages (thus removing journal player notes, so journal is purely for journal), thus replacing the seperate "friend", "ignore" and "player note" lists.

And you've basically described exactly what is being worked on. Either you are a psychic, or I've mentioned it being worked on somewhere before :p

Storing things to "account level" will be a little while after that. I'll be aiming to shift the new "unit sorting", the notes, ID settings, and journal entries to "account level" rather than the current "ID level", so it remains not just between ID's but between rounds - but there is a bit more work involved there, and the unifcation of the notes system would be coming first, seperately.

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
And you've basically described exactly what is being worked on. Either you are a psychic, or I've mentioned it being worked on somewhere before :p

I don't think you've mentioned it before. Perhaps it's great minds thinking alike? ;)

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mmm have been thinking I'll make "alliance journal notes" appear in tooltips as & when I do the note unification, as I'll unify "alliance-level notes" as well and then throw it all in together. If I release the "unification of notes" and haven't remembered to shove the new alliance ones in to tooltips, just give me another poke :p

Oh and as it was requested numerous times, once the "unification of notes" is done, it'll support a comma-seperated list of ID's to mass-enter, too ;)

f0xx

Landscape Designer
Mmm have been thinking I'll make "alliance journal notes" appear in tooltips as & when I do the note unification, as I'll unify "alliance-level notes" as well and then throw it all in together. If I release the "unification of notes" and haven't remembered to shove the new alliance ones in to tooltips, just give me another poke :p

Oh and as it was requested numerous times, once the "unification of notes" is done, it'll support a comma-seperated list of ID's to mass-enter, too ;)

Sounds great, now tell me that we get to keep our notes when we delete and register a new ID in the same round and I will love you long time :p

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You better get to the loving, f0xx!

...Storing things to "account level" will be a little while after that. I'll be aiming to shift the new "unit sorting", the notes, ID settings, and journal entries to "account level" rather than the current "ID level", so it remains not just between ID's but between rounds - but there is a bit more work involved there, and the unifcation of the notes system would be coming first, seperately.

WackyJacky

Head Gardener
Great idea except for this -- What happens when I put a player note on one of my enemies, he deletes, and then I know his ID the second he restarts?

As f0xx has said, can these notes not be deleted when a player deletes - make them account based rather than ID based (although wiped at the end of round, of course).

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great idea except for this -- What happens when I put a player note on one of my enemies, he deletes, and then I know his ID the second he restarts?
I think you mis-understand. If you have a note for ID 1234, and ID 1234 deletes, your notes for ID 1234 vanish. And you get no new notes for their new ID. You have to find their new ID yourself, as ever.

The "keeping of notes" is if you delete, and restart, then your notes remain. So if you have a note for ID 1234, and you delete, and you restart - you will still have your note for ID 1234 - without having to re-do it.

f0xx

Landscape Designer

...Storing things to "account level" will be a little while after that. I'll be aiming to shift the new "unit sorting", the notes, ID settings, and journal entries to "account level" rather than the current "ID level", so it remains not just between ID's but between rounds - but there is a bit more work involved there, and the unifcation of the notes system would be coming first, seperately.

I just wet myself there.

Sorry for not reading your full post too :p

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

I just wet myself there.

Sorry for not reading your full post too :p

i disagree with storing it on account level

I grew kind of fond to f0xxies monthly thread about how he lost all his data :p

And...
now i dont know when f0xx is restarting.