Forum revitalisation!

Garrett

Landscape Designer
Just as a side-point, on a lot of forum communities online I've been a part of for many years, I have noticed a lot have been "changing" particularly over the last 12 months, for the worse.... there seems to be a lot more people online who act like the "cool kids" that just flame blast insult and irritate everybody else, and gang together in their little cliques, generally ruining any "general/global" community feel and giving a bit of a bad taste to the place... it's never anything specific, just a "general sliding in the wrong direction".

I think the mentality of a lot of people on the internet is changing, for the worse. Not all the communities I'm in have been affected in this way, but enough that I now consider it a bit of a "global thing".

The best way of dealing with it is, likely, approaching the individual trouble-makers (the ones who's posts always seem negative, "I'm mighter than everyone else", insulty/flamey etc.) and pointing out to them that actually they're being complete tw**s and ruining things, and that they aren't treating the community as a community, but as a playground... get them to integrate better. "Removing" such people is usually the last step, as they tend to have "big gangs of very vocal people" and can end up causing such a huge stink/nuisance that trying to aggressively remove a bunch of them can be a self-destructive process.

ok last last note :p

it's important for the 'flock' of the 'faithful' to not stop posting. right now if you see someone on this board as a bully, you are guilty of not doing anything about it.

btw - calling them out in public and inciting a flame war... not the right way to do it.

maybe posting something like 'that was unecessary' and then move on with the topic or (even better) completely ignore the post and completely switch gears.

Taking back a community on a forums/internet setting is just like 'taking back a community' on the streets. You have to have a presence. Most people here just clam up and stop posting.

Do not turn negative and/or destructive. Just continue being yourselves. Eventually others will get the hint. Also, you can't change anyone's behaviors but your own.

So I ask you, playerbase, what are YOU going to do about it?

p.s. the ignore feature is your friend. you just can't block mods.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
So basically this forum is waiting for a golden set of users to use it correctly. Discussions for discussion debate.
Help and support for... dur.
Suggestions for doubledur...
Gripes for peeing fire.
Politics for peeing fire on multiple alliances.
Recruitment for durrrrrrrrrrrrdededededoublelydedumpadur.
General discussion for topics not bush.
computer and games yeah!
spam for low cost filler.
I think you just made most hilarious explanation of these forums of all times. Specially that recruitment section one made me laugh. Thank you from birghtening my day and from making sure I will come back here (for many peoples dissapointment) in the future too to see more stuff like this. :D

harriergirl

Landscape Designer
So basically this forum is waiting for a golden set of users to use it correctly. Discussions for discussion debate.
Help and support for... dur.
Suggestions for doubledur...
Gripes for peeing fire.
Politics for peeing fire on multiple alliances.
Recruitment for durrrrrrrrrrrrdededededoublelydedumpadur.
General discussion for topics not bush.
computer and games yeah!
spam for low cost filler.
I think you just made most hilarious explanation of these forums of all times. Specially that recruitment section one made me laugh. Thank you from birghtening my day and from making sure I will come back here (for many peoples dissapointment) in the future too to see more stuff like this. :D

and this is why I <3 Garrett, He makes me laugh every day of my life