• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

back ups

Terrakan

Harvester
More ontopic:
Tbh Weebl, I'm pretty sure rollbacks are feasible. Keep 2 backups, and overwrite the oldest one every hour. This means you have a backup of at least an hour ago. Obviously you'll have the usual "omg but I stole land during that period when it wasn't offline yet, gimme mah landz Azzer!", but that's not as bad as people getting wtfraped.
Evidently you'll always have people complaining though. :)

enough said

Souls

Official Helper
Souls said:
If Azzer backed anything up it'd be rankings, not land/troops/everything of every player in the game. Backing up that much information would likely take up a huge amount of space, and it'd only be useful for the off-chance that something like this happens again. And as Alci said, how often does the server bomb?

Taken from the gripe.

The game already stops ticking the moment the server loses complete connection. Backing up the entire game every hour just seems like too much effort to safeguard against something that might not even happen again.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Souls said:
If Azzer backed anything up it'd be rankings, not land/troops/everything of every player in the game. Backing up that much information would likely take up a huge amount of space, and it'd only be useful for the off-chance that something like this happens again. And as Alci said, how often does the server bomb?

Taken from the gripe.

The game already stops ticking the moment the server loses complete connection. Backing up the entire game every hour just seems like too much effort to safeguard against something that might not even happen again.

To quote Terrakan, "enough said."

Hobbezak

Garden Designer
Souls said:

Taken from the gripe.

I am pretty sure that Azzer has a backup of the entire database (for hard disk crashes etc etc), don't know how often he refreshes though. Even if it's 2h, or 4h, it would still be better than the current situation.
And I really have no idea why a backup of just the rankings would be useful. Unless he'd want to end the round when the server crashes, and create the portal. :p

Souls

Official Helper
If the server crashed bad enough that the round would've been forced to end, then that makes sense to me. :p

Though it isn't fair to make assumptions, so I guess we'll just have to wait for Azzer (Weeble) to tell us if any data is backed up at all. :p

Edit - Also, it's not like the server crashes every hour.

Last edited:

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
Bush server has a managed backup that backs up the entire system. This is not a backup one can simply go into and drag/drop database files. As I've already posted, dedicated Bush database backups are infeasible and unnecessary.

Elderveld

Official Helper
More ontopic:
Tbh Weebl, I'm pretty sure rollbacks are feasible. Keep 2 backups, and overwrite the oldest one every hour. This means you have a backup of at least an hour ago. Obviously you'll have the usual "omg but I stole land during that period when it wasn't offline yet, gimme mah landz Azzer!", but that's not as bad as people getting wtfraped.
Evidently you'll always have people complaining though. :)

enough said

I dont see it solve the problem people have, when they dont know when the ticker starts and might loose troops/land from mobs sent before.
Wich benefit would it have if it goes an hour back? U are pretty much saying that we must wait as long till ALL the players are online so we can start again ect, else someone might take advantage of it.

You cannot satisfy the 'whole' playerbase. In any situation people will get (dis)advantage's.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Souls said:

Taken from the gripe.

To quote Terrakan, "enough said."

Agreed. I say people should chalk it up to bad luck and just get on with it. It doesnt happen often enough to be a problem IMO>