• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Internet ad

Elevnos

BANNED
What if you made an advert for bushtarion on the internet, like the ones on game websites as loads of people go on them, you see the game "evony" everywhere and that's got loads of new members since they put the ads up despite being a boring game.

Dax

Hydroponics Developer
Only coz the put naked women in their banner :D

we can do one better - get beasteh to make the ads :p

That sounds like the best idea I've heard all day. I say that, because these are two example of ideas made to my person today:

"I'm going to put Funeral For A Friend on now" - Dando

"Why don't you use Lurpak? It's good." - Mother

Both these ideas suck for relatively similar reasons. :)

So yeah, go, find Beasteh in his isolated shack in the yonder swamp.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I believe Azzer still has plans for a fairly large internet ad "campaign" once a few further changes are brought in (i.e FC).

I think the idea is he doesn't want to spend considerable time/money to get new players in to the game before this major change in the hope that more will stick around! :p

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
but the longer he waits before getting new players in *i.e. launching his ad campaign* the more he suffers. As i've posted elsewhere there is a point at which he has to admit that he's not going to reach a point at which he'll be 100% satisfied with the game mechanics (not to mention the playerbase, such as it is). Eventually he's going to have to say 'fine, i've done all i can do at the moment, so let's get some new players in with the current changes/ad campaign, and then let's *keep* them with the newer changes."

Either way, there's a very fine balancing point between trying to perfect the game so the maximum amount of new players are retained, and waiting too long so that the playerbase tires and quits (evidence in the goodbye thread) before newer members arrive to take their place.

I feel like we've reached the threshold at which it is time to just giver **** and get new players in. The gameplay is acceptable, if stale. The new FC would be wonderful to have to 'launch' the new ad campaign, but i don't think we should wait indefinitely for the FC to be completed before trying to increase the playerbase, that is, imo, a recipe for disaster.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
News and Updates said:
Absence & Changes Link Mon 19th Oct, 2009. 17:29:44
Apologies for my extended absence, mostly down to some horrible illness but I'm no longer infectious and other than a bit more resting up, I'm good to go and start cracking on with work again now - you'll be seeing me around more and more again over the next few weeks and I'll crack on with code changes for the round after this one (L/F will be coming in for then, with the new FC new landcap steal rules etc. - that's my priority code change atm). Some code changes (not mechanic ones) may appear mid-round - interface related etc. - also expect the return of the old style manual in the coming weeks (intending to integrate it with the wiki database to allow for quicker/easier updates of the manual).

You could be right Alci. Although if these changes really are coming in next round it might be worth waiting just a few more months (as im guessing some balancing/tweaking may need to be done during/after the coming round) and then push for the new players. It seems like these changes could be vital to keeping them when they do start playing.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I"ve been dancing to the 'just wait a few months' tune for a few years now. That particular song and dance is wearing thin and so i need new dancing shoes. The FC was introduced a few rounds ago as 'background' code, and was supposed to go live in the last couple rounds (lol). So... forgive me for being a skeptic....

Max

Garden Designer
Maybe Azzer wants to keep back that advertising cash for the launch of his new RPG game? Either way, it's his financial call to make, I can't say that I'm in any place to judge his marketing technique!