District 9

f0xx

Landscape Designer
Alright, a lot of you might have heard about this movie. Has anyone seen it? I've watched the trailers and read quite some reviews. At first I thought it is just some silly/flashy movie...but man some of the reviews are *GOOD*.

Just gonna post one review of another person:

Just wanted to tell everyone that this is an amazing film. It is an absolutely amazing story, drama, sci-fi story (with a hint of romance) masked to the mass markets as a action movie. I may buy a BlueRay player just for when it comes out on disc. The most 'human' character in it is one of the aliens.

I don't want to put a spoiler, but it takes a lot for a movie to make me feel uncomfortable watching it due to content (at one point I almost had to step away from the movie and regroup). This does it, but stays classy and well-done the whole time. There were a lot of times where I simply had to lean back and say, out loud, "Holy ****." or "Wow. Just Wow."

This is now my #1 favourite movie.

AndyM

Pruner
I haven't seen it but you're right it does look good. IMDB are loving it too - 8.8/10. I'll wait until it's out on DVD until I acquire it though. Cinema is expensive :(

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah am thinking about hitting the cinema for this.

Actually there's a few films that are making me tempted to hit the cinema for this month, there's been a big void for a while of rubbish/half-hearted films that I was happy to wait for DVD for, but these three I really want to see:

District 9
Zombieland
Inglourious Basterds

If anyone's seen any of these (particularly Distrcit 9!) post up, give a rating out of 10 :D

timthetyrant

Head Gardener
from the pictures(billboard sorta thingy) i have seen it looks a lot like independance day

Ram

Head Gardener
Jase has seen it and has told me that its really good and told me I should watch it. (Haven't seen it yet)

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon
10 minutes to get it, 1 h and 50 to see it :p

The movie is pretty good, something new from the usual mindless bang bang .. sort of Matrix 1 when it came out. Too bad i didn't find any subtitles and aliens talked in bulgarian :mad: It ain't super awesome tho, but definately worth watching.

f0xx

Landscape Designer
10 minutes to get it, 1 h and 50 to see it :p

The movie is pretty good, something new from the usual mindless bang bang .. sort of Matrix 1 when it came out. Too bad i didn't find any subtitles and aliens talked in bulgarian :mad: It ain't super awesome tho, but definately worth watching.

Lol, if you are going to be downloading it then wait for a better quality than CAM you gypsy...so you basicly watched the film with CAM quality and subtitles you can't understand?

Riiiiiiiight....

Garrett

Landscape Designer
when i first saw the first trailer, i was highly interested. i like how it's geared to drawing it's overall theme from the aparthied movement in south africa. what caught my attention is that it looked so much like the 'halo' trailers when peter jackson became executive producer and his effects company was going to do it.

the director for district 9 is largely untested, but was tapped for the halo movie... when halo was pulled 5 months in... jackson kept the director on for a new movie.

so the aliens and some of the effects are going to be leftovers produced for 'halo' - big deal right? well other than i am a big fan of the 'halo universe' (in so much that you can take any direction and focus on any part of it, it's just potentially rich with any # of ideas and spin offs) it's not a big deal. it was just similarities i noticed, but helped perk my excitement.

after reading an interview or 2 with the director and seeing some extended clips, in my mind it's going to be 'halo' and it's just the story of whatever covenant are left on earth after the invasion.

either way it should be a fantastic time.

Davis

Tree Surgeon
I went and saw it last night with 8 other friends they all LOVED it, i thought it was pretty good, worth the money for sure but not as much as them, we all however agreed it did take a bit to long to get into the plot and was boring for starters, but in all honestly it was a very original movie, and i haven't seen anything like it before, and part of the "boring" parts added to the originality :p

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
Finally released in the UK yesterday (Friday 5th Sep).

Without a doubt one of my new favourite films of all time. I can see how some people might say it takes a little while to start, simply because of the way the story is laid out, but for me it just added to the tension/excitement. Graphics were incredible, story line was...a little shaky but 'believable' once you're in the zone; acting was very convincing - the interactions between CGI aliens and humans was completely seamless (bit of suited-acting here and there but nowhere near as much as you'd expect).

Seriously was a fantastic movie - I kept getting flash-references to other films while watching it; you can often see where the director got his fantastic inspiration. It kept me enthralled throughout. I can only hope that they'll be bringing out a sequel! One to own on disc for sure, definitely recommended! 9.2/10.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
I saw it today and was somewhat surprised in the direction that the movie took. I was expecting something akin to Independence Day (without being quite as corny) and more of a 'terminator'-esque kind of film with lots of battles, and fighting and cool CGI.

I was not disappointed with the CGI effects, but i was completely flipped upside down in my plot expectations.

however, that being said, once over my shock, it was a pretty well done movie. The allusions to racism, concentration camps, Nazis, etc while set in South Africa was pretty blatant and worked out to a rather good story.

Not my favourite movie ever, but reasonably well put together, solid, if not spectacular, acting, a mediocre script and some neat CGI effects.

6.5/10

Leash

Weeder

WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW

I liked when it was revealed that genetic experiments were being done on the aliens secretly. It sort of reversed the role and made the alien the victim of the whole fear thing about aliens abducting humans and conducting experiments on them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I saw this film and thought it was good. Not great, but good. I have to say the camera-work at the beginning (the "documentary style" camera effects) I actually struggled with - it wasn't great quality and it was a bit hard to watch, but this was definitely heightened by the fact I have no doubt the projector hadn't been set up properly (not focused as perfectly as it should have been... bloody Odeon...).

Anyway, story was good, film was fun... some laugh out loud "death & destruction" bits... 7 out of 10 from me.

Dark_Angel

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Community Operator
I saw it yesterday. Was average at best, good considering it had such a small budget, and indeed "different" - But all in all I got frustrated the film couldn't decide whether it was serious or not. (I enjoyed the humour but didnt appreciate the clash with what was intended to be a serious storyline.)

Worth watching by all accounts.

marvin

Tree Surgeon
I saw it yesterday. Was average at best, good considering it had such a small budget, and indeed "different" - But all in all I got frustrated the film couldn't decide whether it was serious or not. (I enjoyed the humour but didnt appreciate the clash with what was intended to be a serious storyline.)

Worth watching by all accounts.

1251035025667.jpg

TehPantz

Head Gardener
Just saw District 9 last night, very good. I would recommend this others.

benn

Digger
i watched district 9 i thote it was great but the gd think about it it was as a low buget film so it nt going to be all that spec but creat film!unlucky he turned it the prone!!!