• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Ability to post suggestions

f0xx

Landscape Designer
The suggestion is simple. Allow only people who have been registered on the forum for more than a year to post (and view) suggestions and the whole suggestions section respectively.

This will help in two ways:
1. It will drasticly reduce the amount of silly (to put it soft) suggestions
2. It will prevent newer players from being bashed (deservilngly) when arguing with more experienced players

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
No.
Doing so will only harm the forums. If a new user registers as they've thought of something that they think might be a good addition, then find out they can't until they've been around for a year, they'll bugger off and leave the game entirely in an instant.

Sometimes the best suggestions come from people who've only just started playing - sometimes the worst come from people who've been registered for three years plus.

f0xx

Landscape Designer
Although, this will only result in newer players making suggestions in sections like "Bushtarion Discussion", so I guess it is a bad idea after all.

Madmeater

Harvester
The thing is, to say that all new players give terribad suggestions is just a generalisation. Not all of us newbies are idiots :)

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
Hmm a few thoughts on this matter.

Much as i might like to ban all the 'stupid' suggestions it really isn't only the new players who make awful suggestions (WackyJacky par exemple) so just banning new players evidently won't get rid of the problem.

Although, this will only result in newer players making suggestions in sections like "Bushtarion Discussion", so I guess it is a bad idea after all.

Perfectly correct, you'll just get spam elsewhere unless you ban them from the whole forums (which is not a good idea).

IF there was to be some sort of length of time before new players could post I would prefer to see it at a minimum postcount. 1 year is insanely long, I would imagine the average 'newbie' isn't around for 1 year, and banning them from posting a single suggestion for 12 months is pretty harsh f0xx. There is another (Vbulletin based) set of forums i frequent with many thousands of players and some serious forum activity and they have a system in place where for the first 50 posts of a user, they are limited in the kinds of things they can do in forums: participating/writing polls are forbidden as well as some other things.

We could have a base like this in Bushtarion but in all honesty, i don't see the need, we're going to get spam on the one hand, or just have to suffer through the bad posts and hope that in all the dross there is something good.

My sympathies f0xx but i just don't see it happening.

atsanjose

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
awwwww so many possibilities to snap at you f0xx, but hell, let me be in a lenient mood today.

In western Europe everyone is equal.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's like saying the only people who have good ideas are the forum warriors :p

For my part when I've played online games, I've often avoided the forums until I have reason to post - ie I want to make a suggestion, or post a bug, then I'll register and do so. Admittedly I usually do it after searching the forums for past suggestions and only after getting to solid grips with the game, but even so - it'd be preventing people doing something that I myself do on other games.

It's also very "elitist". Not welcoming to new users. It's kind of saying "Sorry, you're not part of this forum community even if you register.". Besides vets make bad ideas all the time, it's not just new forum users that make them. And new forum users have to start somewhere, too.

So a huge no, awful idea, backwards thinking, elitist, yuck, just no.

(on that note - see, see, a forum vet has made a bad suggestion with this thread :p)

Steve_God

Official Helper
New players posting suggestions = Fresh Ideas! :)
(Ok... many of the suggestions may be unworkable, but say for every 19 'unworkable' suggestions, there's normally 1 good one!)

Matt

Harvester
New players bring in fresh ideas and have a fresh perspective of the game.

Also, what about player who has been playing the game for years... as it is not a requirement to sign up to the forums they are a vet to the game but a noob to the forums! i only signed up to the forums 2 rounds ago. yet my first ever round was back in round 4!