• Those wishing to contribute to the game by making suggestions (both small and large) should read the following before doing so.

Bushtarion largely runs completely automatically, and has been designed intentionally to be as self-maintaining as possible, with mechanics and balance considered at a completed point.

Please do not spend large amounts of time coming up with complex suggestions in the hope that they will be read and possibly implemented in the future, unless you just enjoy the discussion, theory-craft, and such.

The most likely changes will be rules-changes, specific number-tweaks to units, techs, and similar sorts of changes, and only if a large community consensus is reached as "proof" that a change would, overall, be an improvement, and are more likely to be done in batches, occassionally, not as a regular thing.

Design yourself troops

alwaysnumb

Head Gardener
How about once you finished all your devs you then get the option to design your own. Based on the stats(init,ad,hd,LET,NLD etc) you pick, the dev/cost time get calculated and cost of the troop. Imagine the stress involved with trying to work out what that troops effect would be.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
I dont know if i even need to go into how this would completely screw up all the balancing of the routes/units...

You say:

Imagine the stress involved with trying to work out what that troops effect would be.

Is that supposed to be a good thing?

Lets take one example, bikers and poms. If bikers werent there to combat poms they would be overpowered. So now a pom can just develope a LET unit that has all the right stats to kill bikers that fires init 100 say. Just an example of how this would throw out all the balancing between routes/units.

And yeah like tobapopalos says, WHY? ;)

The game is already complicated enough without having people "make their own unit"...

Steve_God

Official Helper
In principle, it's a nice idea.
However such a feature in the game would have untold consequences on route balancing, and be mostly unworkable.

The reason why I say that, is imagine an RPG player designing their own unit. They would easily be able to give a unit a low init (shortly after RPG), very high health damage, and to allow the unit to be balanced, little/no armour damage, and little health/armour points.

This could lead to the unit itself being balanced and not to overpowered, but combining it with another unit from a given route, would make it VERY overpowered as a combo, and highly imbalanced for the game.

However, something like this would be a brilliant idea for a Private World feature! (although, I'd hate to think how much coding would be required to create such a feature) :p

alwaysnumb

Head Gardener
I was thinking that wat ever you design will be expensive to dev+make.
so if you redesign something with private stats it would cost twice as much to make each 1.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
Would still be incredibly overpowered. Like the example steve gave.

No matter how much the unit costs when put into a route it unbalances everything. Like steve said you cant just look at the unit on its own (which might be the right cost/dev time etc for its stats) but the unit as a whole in the route its designed and in its interaction with every other unit in the game.

Basically its impossible...

timtadams

Landscape Designer
yeah, not really a good idea

It would be very hard to work how costs would be calculated appropriately. Eg what formulae to use? It would be way to complicated. Only because it would be very hard to come up with equations to determine the effect the unit would have on the various routes

I believe the potential for abuse is way too high. Im sure people could work out how to make their route invinvible ect.

So this leads to the most obvious problem, which has already been hinted at in my post. It would totally screw up route balance. Sometimes every few rounds a couple of units may get minor changes to help balance routes. This would totally undermine all that hard work and change the whole way the games works.

So this would make it much harder to predict smaller battles, and even large ones if these custom units were used significantly.

Even if you applied certain constraints for each route (i thought that might be a possibility, but...) it still has much potential to unbalance the game.

I probably couldve condensed my points more efficiently, but im a tad tired ;)

Anyways, at least your making suggestions :p

[edit] lolz, seems a few people got in before me, sorry to pretty much repeat what has now been said xD

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
It could work in practice.. If you create a formula that determines certain stats based on the stats you've given then I can see it working. To an extent.

Say you only get to choose the name, description, AD, HD, armour and health, but nothing else, and you only have (say) 10 "stars" to put into this unit.
The init and targetting types would be determined by the system based on the damage and health of the unit itself...

Taking Steve's example above, if an RPG player decides to 'create a unit', they could give it five stars of health damage, one of armor damage and two each for health and armour. Based on these values, it would be given an init of 500 or so; something to combat it's power. Similarly, if someone went the opposite way (still on the RPG route) and gave it high health and armour value but lower damage values then it's init could be lowered (or something).

It *could* work, but is very, very unlikely to be implemented for simplicities sake - people don't want to see "Steve's Ice Cream Truck" killing millions of their gardeners. A massive "wtf" would be heard across the server.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
A massive "wtf" would be heard across the server.

Rofl... that made me laugh quite hard :D

But yeah i'd have to disagree with implementing this idea simply from sheer complexity.

However, i do like the thought of being able to customize your route/account to make it a little more personalized and alter the basic way the game is played. As polo said in his monster post.... People play the same routes the same way all the time, and have from time immemorial. It`d be nice to see some strategic depth added.

Steve_God

Official Helper
There were suggestions previously made about additional developments where you could decide to develop extra bonuses, like '10% extra heath damage' or '15% extra armour points' - to cover a whole route, or even ally devs to cover a whole ally.

Not sure what Azzer's thoughts were on that though.

people don't want to see "Steve's Ice Cream Truck" killing millions of their gardeners.
I want to see "Steve's Ice Cream Truck" killing millions of their gardeners :p

DarkSider

Tree Surgeon
Good thought behind the suggestion but unlikey to have a future in the form suggested.
I'm all for diversity and customization but this idea could work as Steve said more like fine tuning certain units or your entire route but still using the current route as the mainframe.

Either as has been suggested before give players options to alter their route a bit with those 10% offensive 10% defensive etc bonuses or the 20 spots inside the alliance each have a special title and special bonus, or you get a number of points that you can spend to buy extra damage or survivability on your units.

Weeble

Community Manager
Administrator
I'd prefer a system where we can upload a picture of ourselves and use it as the face for all our troops in the new graphical upgrade coming later this year. Would be suh-weet!

Max

Garden Designer
I don't like the idea of creating your own unit stats... but being able to rename a unit or too could prove to be hilarious :D

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer
I don't like the idea of creating your own unit stats... but being able to rename a unit or too could prove to be hilarious :D

But then I would rename all my robo units as troops from the RPG route and then wtfpwn any thugs or SAs that attack me :p

Enrico

Tree Surgeon

But then I would rename all my robo units as troops from the RPG route and then wtfpwn any thugs or SAs that attack me :p

So you expect the SA-player to send along his merry way even when basic tool-tip shows your "RPGs" have rather a lot of armour and a peculiar high initative?

;)

I once suggested further sets of "pick 1 of 3 options" similar to the money/seed/plant thieves.. say something like a (private that fire middle/ skellies that convert / extremist that only target INN) that anyone could dev at a set point in the routes...

more customizations of the routes FTW!

Enrico

Tree Surgeon
Well that would be as old fashioned as sending on solos and not spying when attacking for 3... ;)