The Bobwo V2.0

Markb

Harvester
Community Operator
+1 to Bobbin for releasing the source code

Database servers shouldn't be listening for connections from the entire internet anyway - allowing it is pretty stupid and is just asking for trouble.

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
So apparantly someone pasted around the info.inc with the DB info in it...

I'm not stupid, I changed that file. It won't give you access to my DBs, so don't try.

I beg to differ. If you didn't realise, your server isn't sending .inc files to the PHP engine which means it will just spit out the text that's contained within any .inc files if someone accesses those files directly.

You should, atleast, use the .php extension as well as move any files containing such sensitive information to a directory above your wwwroot/htdocs/etc folder. Also, changing your password might be a good idea.

Deloitte

Pruner
down for the count?

Network Timeout

The server at www.bobbino.com is taking too long to respond.

The requested site did not respond to a connection request and the browser has stopped waiting for a reply.

* Could the server be experiencing high demand or a temporary outage? Try again later.
* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.
* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.
* Still having trouble? Consult your network administrator or Internet provider for assistance.

Benneh

Tree Surgeon
Super Moderator
I also have a copy of the bobwo here which will also be updated from time to time.

Oh, and I've also been talking to Bobbin about taking over the work of bobwo and moving the real domain to my server. :)

Benneh

Tree Surgeon
Super Moderator
Just so that you guys know, the Bobwo is now avaliable at:

http://www.bobwo.co.uk (This is still work in progress, things are still being written, the harv calc still works from here)

or if you prefered the old version, it is still in working order at:

http://www.bennyboi-online.com/bobwo

---

Any suggestions for the newer version of Bobwo are welcome in either PM, or from a post here.

x

lavadog

Head Gardener
Maybe you could incorporate Myzis' free spy parser in bwobwo for the time being?

myziot

Planter
yeh, just give me a shout and we'll set this up.

I might even write a similar parser for harvs, so that you'll paste the bottom box with all the land info and it'll pop you out the number of harvs you need. Or even the whole bit with staff to, so that I can parse the no. of current harvesters too.

But then you'd need to specify the season manually yourself anyway. Will let you guys know if/when I get this done.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
If you're up for a challenge create an artificial "round start" tester. With say the first 144 ticks in it.

round starter? You mean something that will tell you exactly what and when to buy to get the furthest ahead?

You would need to take into account exponential cost of land (easy to get a formula actually) yields of each plant type, costs, harvester performance, ect

then arrange all that into a series of formulae which would then need to be somehow solved to give what to do each step of the way (that would be the hard part). You would probably need to use Excel to solve it, or another adequate program.

BTW, Excel is an excellent tool for solving equations ect, if you know how to use it. Dunno about multiple equations though...

If i have time, or motivation, i might look into it (probs not :p). But i doubt i would get anywhere.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Making round start tester is one thing... making it artificial is completely another thing...

I made round start tester for last round... worked perfectly fine for everything else but one thing. You cant predict weather. If your plans are made for mediocre weather even one rainy/heavy cloudy tick in one place screws it up and then you end up spending funds to wrong place. Thus causing collaretal damage which will get bigger and bigger tick by tick.

Must say that my tool worked well enought to put us to top 50 easily and with small adjustments on fly we easily achieved top 10 positions.

Was actually nice to see what kind of impact it has between buying 1 tree 4bush, vs 2 tree 3 bush vs 5 bush... The actual difference comes way after 144 ticks which you wouldnt predict. The difference kicks in around 250-300 ticks. And is pretty significant.

No-Dachi

Official Helper
Then he should aim to make it 400 ticks long ;) I know you cannot predict the weather, and hence it will never be 100 % perfect in terms of making a start up plan. But what it does allow you to do is to test out different scenarios, seeing which will work out the best.

After too many rounds of this game I generally just play. I've done so many starts it's more or less in my bones (and I **** up every round too, so a plan would just be a waste ;p). But its value to newer players, and the ability to test out different starting strategies (ideally with a way of tracking progress or running several tests at the same time).

No-Dachi

Official Helper
If it's true that you only see the full effects of the initial choice after 200 ticks, then it would be worthwhile to run tests up to and beyond that point, in order to estimate the better start. We will be stealing land, we might be losing land. We cannot predict the weather, we will likely oversleep, and we will **** up. It's not about making a perfect tick-by-tick schedule, it's about comparison.

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
Was actually nice to see what kind of impact it has between buying 1 tree 4bush, vs 2 tree 3 bush vs 5 bush... The actual difference comes way after 144 ticks which you wouldnt predict. The difference kicks in around 250-300 ticks. And is pretty significant.

What a load of rubbish.

f0xx

Landscape Designer

What a load of rubbish.

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking, but decided to keep it for myself because BW would have reported me to the mods for flaming :p