Are you suffering slow page speeds?

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Update: The slow page speeds are being caused by Tiscali. I'm afraid there is nothing I can do, as this is not a problem with the Bushtarion server, or the Bushtarion data-centre. It is a problem with Tiscali's connection to Chicago, US. Complain to Tiscali, give them a few websites that have problems loading (bushtarion.com, gitk.com, neosurge.com, techgage.net, kharnographer.com to name a few that will all be loading slow for you).

Original Post:

Are you suffering particularly slow or unresponsive page loading times on the server? If so, please reply to this thread giving the following information. Please don't reply if the site loads fine for you, or with other problems not related to page load speeds/unresponsive pages.

1: What's your Internet Service Provider (ISP), eg "AOL":

2: What country do you live in:

3: What web browser are you using:

4: Are the pages always slow, or only sometimes (and if so, how often/when):

5: Try clearing all of your temporary internet files & cache, and restarting your browser. Does this improve things?

6: Does accessing the game through the address http://64.62.134.208/ also load slow, or does the IP work fine:

For most of us, the loading times are perfect. But I am hearing of some people struggling, so I want to start collecting this data to try and narrow the problem down.

Thanks.

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator

1: What's your Internet Service Provider (ISP), eg "AOL":

2: What country do you live in:

3: What web browser are you using:

4: Are the pages always slow, or only sometimes (and if so, how often/when):

5: Try clearing all of your temporary internet files & cache, and restarting your browser. Does this improve things?

6: Does accessing the game through the address http://64.62.134.208/ also load slow, or does the IP work fine:

1: Tiscali
2: England
3: Firefox 3.0.5 (it's also slow in IE though)
4: It varies a lot. One minute a page will load fine and the next minute it'll take 30 seconds to load.
5: I've set Firefox up to automatically do this whenever I close the browser so it's been done many, many times and the problem is still occuring.
6: It's just as slow through the direct IP.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just for putting this on the record/my notes... I've got info from both Yang, and Angela. They both use Tiscali. They both suffer the same thing. They also tested "www.gitk.com" out - a website in the same data-centre, but a different physical server, and they both suffered slow page speeds there.

I am already beginning to get the impression this is a Tiscali problem, and the new server timing is merely coincidence - especially as the problem also exists to "www.gitk.com" which has not had a new server or anything.

Polo

Garden Designer
Super Moderator
The GITK server is also ridiculously slow for me...

tomtree

Head Gardener
4: It varies a lot. One minute a page will load fine and the next minute it'll take 30 seconds to load.
5: I've set Firefox up to automatically do this whenever I close the browser so it's been done many, many times and the problem is still occuring.

almost exactly the same for me.

i think you might be right about it being a Tiscali problem... though im hoping to change to BT soon which hopefully will be better.

rockhard

Beginner

same here:(

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Update: The slow page speeds are being caused by Tiscali. I'm afraid there is nothing I can do, as this is not a problem with the Bushtarion server, or the Bushtarion data-centre. It is a problem with Tiscali's connection to Chicago, US. Complain to Tiscali, give them a few websites that have problems loading (bushtarion.com, gitk.com, neosurge.com, techgage.net to name a few that will all be loading slow for you).

f0xx

Landscape Designer
Or you could just go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and test your connection speed to the location of the server (Chicago, US) and if it is not withing the speed limit they guaranteed you then I guess you can give them some angry calls.

Just so you have a base for comparison, here is mine:

402956124.png

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Or you could just go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and test your connection speed to the location of the server (Chicago, US) and if it is not withing the speed limit they guaranteed you then I guess you can give them some angry calls.
Just so you have a base for comparison, here is mine:
402956124.png

I'm not sure how reliable that is for things like latency "over time", or packet loss problems etc. but it's worth a try. I'd stick with phoning Tiscali technical support, and telling them (politely but firmly/confidently) that you are suffering many problems accessing these websites;
bushtarion.com, gitk.com, neosurge.com, techgage.net, kharnographer.com
Which you know to all be in Chicago. You can tell them that other people on other ISP's are having no problems at all, but a number of people you know on Tiscali are suffering the same problems, so it's definitely a Tiscali only problem.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So strange :O

Much higher download, but slower upload :eek:

Yeah that's common. My download is 20,000 kb/s (just under), and my upload is only 820 kb/s. Virgin cable connection for ya.

lillie

Harvester
Reply Tiscali

Reply Tiscali

Not sure if this helps ..not tried it yet but this was Tiscali`s reply ......

Thank you for contacting Tiscali Technical Support.

I understand from your email that you are unable to get connect some sites.

To resolve the issue, I request you to follow the below steps to change the DNS servers:

1. Open Control panel, click on the Network connection icon.

2. Network connections window would open. Right click on your ‘Broadband connection icon’ and click on ‘Properties’.

3. New window pops up. Here, Click on Networking tab.

4. Select internet protocols (TCP/IP) option and click on the properties button.

5. Now, select "Use the following DNS server addresses" option and type in the following in the relevant boxes:

Preferred DNS server: 212.74.112.66

Alternate DNS server: 212.74.112.67

6. Click on the ok.

If the issue persists, you need to flush the DNS settings.

1. Click on Start - Click on Run link- Run window pops up
2. Type CMD and click OK. Command prompt screen pops up
3. Now, type 'ipconfig /flushdns' (without the quotes) and press the Enter key.

I believe that the information provided above will help. For further assistance, please write to us.

Regards,

Tiscali Technical Support

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not sure if this helps ..not tried it yet but this was Tiscali`s reply ......
Regards,
Tiscali Technical Support

That could be an admission that their DNS servers are having problems, so perhaps their reply will help some people.

However, people that were suffering the problem at the time, tried connecting directly to the Bushtarion IP (which then doesn't need to use the Tiscali DNS servers), and were apparently still having very slow pages - so I'm not sure the problem was purely with Tiscali's DNS servers.

Regardless, thanks for the info/the reply you got!

Dakbrew

Weeder
Why do you even bother? It has already been stated that this test is not reliable when it comes to the problem in the discussion.

because Fios Rocks

my post yesterday was only to comment on the fact that I could not find the Chicago server listed on Speedtest.net when others could. I thought that was odd.

I did find it today :) notice that my ping time seems slow when compared to yours F0xx