This forum

Cheese

Tree Surgeon
It is **** sorry but it's horrible. For a start you have to scroll all the way back to the top to go back to the original forum... too much is just poor, looks ugly to say I hate it is an understatement, BRING BACK PHPBB!
For a start you don't have to pay for that...

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
While I agree that the default style/scheme is pretty ugly, I'll be working on/looking in to better styles later on. However right now, it's of low priority. A style could also add a quick link to go back to the forums at the botom of the pages, as well as the top.

However, as forums go themselves, vbulletin is absolutely amazing - the amount of power, and functionality available - not just to the forum users, but to me as an administrator, and to any forum moderators, is overwhelming, in a fantastic sense. The forums will be able to be customised and utilised in many more ways, not to mention the moderation will be so much better and more "professional" for it.

So yes, I agree that the default vbulletin style is far uglier than the default PHPBB style, and there are a few "changes" that will either need getting used to, or possibly changed through settings... but I disagree with the overall gripe and I personally really love these forums.

Definitely some work needs doing, but they are here to stay! I will more than welcome suggestions for setting changes or little modifications, particularly from anyone who is even remotely experienced with vbulletin forums and knows what sort of things can be edited (and how)!

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist
However, as forums go themselves, vbulletin is absolutely amazing - the amount of power, and functionality available - not just to the forum users, but to me as an administrator, and to any forum moderators, is overwhelming, in a fantastic sense. The forums will be able to be customised and utilised in many more ways, not to mention the moderation will be so much better and more "professional" for it.

I'll end up being satisfied with whatever you choose evidently but if i could access the PHPBB (?) forums again I would swear that you'd written almost that exact same post above when we switched to PHPBB. And that makes me giggle as we continue to leap perilously from bandwagon to bandwagon.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
I'll end up being satisfied with whatever you choose evidently but if i could access the PHPBB (?) forums again I would swear that you'd written almost that exact same post above when we switched to PHPBB. And that makes me giggle as we continue to leap perilously from bandwagon to bandwagon.

Well both are free and developed on their makers free time, so when back in the day PHPBB was miles ahead of VBulletin it seems now that Vbulletin is on some things way ahead of PHPBB.

This is like comparing new desktop Linux to Win 3.1... I dont wonder it makes someone to cheer.

Azzer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I've always used PHPBB previously - it's a great piece of software and free. Go back a few years and it was pretty much on par with any other forums, if not better. It started to lag behind horrendously, until they released version 3 - but while version 3 did bring about a lot of nice improvements, it didn't contain the sort of power that the more professional (or commercial) forum software packages were by that stages implementing and adding to.

Vbulletin has just been steamrollering ahead for a long time, and it's approached the point where right now, it's simply better than PHPBB in many ways.

Nothing to do with bandwagoning, everything to do with looking at what's best at any point in time, and being prepared to use the best - unlike, say, a "fanboi", who might continue to use a single piece of software and stick up for it no matter what, logic be damned :p

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator
What does the "report this thread" thing do?

And i think these new forums are better, mainly cos of the "quick reply" love!!

x

Tim

Harvester
The report the thread feature alerts moderators when someone has concerns about the content of a thread or post. Really useful tool.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
erm, is it just me or is there no 'view active topics' or something similar?

cause thats the link i always used :(
it was very useful, i was easily able to see anything i hadnt read...

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
On top is button New Posts, which shows you all posts that have been updated since your last visit.
It also lists all topics that have posts in em that you have not read but that have been posted before of your last visit.

timtadams

Landscape Designer
Thanks BW, i found it soon after posting xD

And i actually may prefer this way of showing unread posts ect, although the other way was simpler and worked...