This Poem was written by a United States Marine

Satureum

Pruner
Keep in mind, there are variations of who this was done by, but it was originally done by a Marine.

-----

This poem was written by a US Marine

A SOLDIER'S CHRISTMAS

T'was the night before Christmas,

He lived all alone,
In a one bedroom house made of
Plaster and stone.

I had come down the chimney
With presents to give,
And to see just who
In this home did live.

I looked all about,
A strange sight did I see,
No tinsel, no presents,
Not even a tree.

No stocking by mantle,
Just boots filled with sand,
On the wall hung pictures
Of far distant lands.

With medals and badges,
Awards of all kinds,
A sober thought
Came through my mind.

For this house was different,
It was dark and dreary,
I found the home of a Soldier,
Once I could see clearly.

The Soldier lay sleeping,
Silent, alone,
Curled up on the floor
In this one bedroom floor.

The face was so gentle,
The room in such disorder,
Not how I pictured
A United States Soldier.

Was this the Hero
Of whom I'd just read?
Curled up on a poncho,
The floor for a bed?

I realized the families
That I saw this night,
Owed their lives to these Soldiers
Who were willing to fight.

Soon round the World,
The Children would play,
And grownups would celebrate
A bright Christmas day.

They all enjoyed Freedom
Each month of the Year,
Because of the Soldiers,
Like the one lying here.

I couldn't help wonder
How many lay alone,
On a cold Christmas Eve
In a land far from home.

The very thought
Brought a tear to my eye,
I dropped to my knees
And started to cry.

The Soldier awakened
And I heard a rough voice,
"Santa don't cry,
This life is my choice;

I fight for Freedom,
I don't ask for more,
My Life is my God,
My Country, my Corps."

The Soldier rolled over
And drifted to sleep,
I couldn't control it,
I continued to weep.

I kept watch for hours,
So silent and still
And we both shivered
From the cold night's chill.

I didn't want to leave
On that cold, dark, night,
This Guardian of Honor
So willing to Fight.

Then the Soldier rolled over,
With a voice soft and pure,
Whispered, "Carry on Santa,
It's Christmas day, all is secure."

One look at my watch,
And I knew he was right.
"Merry Christmas my Friend,
And to all a Good Night."

Illumination

Head Gardener
Re: This Poem was written by a United States Marine

Whether we believe in the cause they are fighting for or not, soldiers of all nations are working their best under the belief that they are paving the way for a better future for us all. For that, I am thankful.

Satureum

Pruner

Illumination said:
Whether we believe in the cause they are fighting for or not, soldiers of all nations are working their best under the belief that they are paving the way for a better future for us all. For that, I am thankful.

Too many people blame the Soldiers that have long protected their rights and freedoms, when they have done nothing wrong.

ToY

Weeder

Satureum said:
Illumination said:

Too many people blame the Soldiers that have long protected their rights and freedoms, when they have done nothing wrong.

Yeah did you know of "war protestors" that actually go to fallen soldiers funerals and say stuff like "this is gods punishment" ect. I find that horrible.

Satureum

Pruner

ToY said:
Satureum said:
Illumination said:

Yeah did you know of "war protestors" that actually go to fallen soldiers funerals and say stuff like "this is gods punishment" ect. I find that horrible.

Yes. I saw on T.V. that a load of Veterans went to a Soldier's funeral and pretty much dared the protesters to go near the funeral.

Charlie_B

Harvester

Not to be all "bah humbug" but I'm interested to know how you -knew- it was a poem by a Marine, given that this isn't the original version so you presumably hadn't cross-referenced the claim to any great degree?

Illumination said:

I too am grateful for people acting to try and make the world better, although I may disagree with their methods. That goes for many members of the US Military, British Military, the Taliban, and many others. Sadly, it's often the case that people going into things with good intentions end up making the world a worse place for their actions - and also the case that many soldiers have no interest in good intentions.

Satureum said:

I agree, but at the same time too many people are quick to ignore the facts when soldiers have done something wrong.

Satureum

Pruner

Charlie_B said:
Not to be all "bah humbug" but I'm interested to know how you -knew- it was a poem by a Marine, given that this isn't the original version so you presumably hadn't cross-referenced the claim to any great degree?

Illumination said:

I too am grateful for people acting to try and make the world better, although I may disagree with their methods. That goes for many members of the US Military, British Military, the Taliban, and many others. Sadly, it's often the case that people going into things with good intentions end up making the world a worse place for their actions - and also the case that many soldiers have no interest in good intentions.

Satureum said:

I agree, but at the same time too many people are quick to ignore the facts when soldiers have done something wrong.

I did search for this Poem, many times, and though I came across other poems like this one who claimed it was done by an Australian Soldier, etc... it always lead back to the fact it was originally done by a Marine.

And yes, there are those few in the Military who do screw up, do things no one should, but everyone is quick to blame the entire Military.

Defender

Weeder

harriergirl said:
can I throw up now ?

not a fan of the military?

and also the case that many soldiers have no interest in good intentions.

Realy? do you know many soldiers?
I'm a soldier and know many more and as far as i know everyone in the British Army (bar the odd one or two who you get everywhere) have good intentions wheher they be to fight for those back home or merely to watch there mates back.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

I don't like soldiers being portrayed as 'victimized' by an ungrateful public. Yes I'm impressed by the bravery of these soldiers (barring some exceptions) and despite not supporting the current wars we are embroiled in i recognize their sacrifice in doing something i probably ultimately wouldn't do myself.

yes Satureum: many people are quick the blame the entire establishment of the military when it screws up and admits to no wrongdoing but that's because no one likes cover ups. Period. While I understand that the institution of the military has to maintain a monolithic and somewhat coordinated facade and it is human nature not to enjoy apologizing or admitting to mistakes; you have to understand that accepting your blame; rectifying the issue if possible will make you less of a pariah and make the institution more respected. The whole 'my country right or wrong' attitude is the problem i have.

Many people get caught up in blaming the soldiers themselves for 'following orders' and doing what their military/political masters dictate. Things like Abu Ghraib prison are not just a few soldiers gone rogue, it's evidence of a systemic problem within the armed forces as it pertains to fighting in the middle east against an amorphous; blended enemy. In the case of Iraq, i cannot consciously support the entire war effort because it was based on lies, half truths and pure unmitigated green and revenge; however I believe that some (perhaps many?) soldiers do believe they are doing the right thing; i just think they are going about it in the wrong way.

All in all, I support their personal bravery but I simply cannot condone the military establishment and it's recent behaviour. Also this kind of schlocky, sentimental, underappreciated soldier stuff makes me want to vomit.

Defender:
The British Army consists of 109,740 regular soldiers (with 98,560 trained), plus 3,640 Gurkhas and 34,000 Territorial Army soldiers, giving it a total of around 147,000 soldiers in October 2008.

Defender said:
Really? do you know many soldiers?
I'm a soldier and know many more and as far as i know everyone in the British Army (bar the odd one or two who you get everywhere) have good intentions whether they happen to be fighting for those back home or merely to watch their mate's back.

I take it you know nigh on 150,000 soldiers? No sir, I don't think so; not unless you're a gladhander of the most exceptional sort. And you making as equally ludicrous and sweeping a statement as that is not even remotely sensible. The exceptions you state of 'one or two you get everywhere' are in reality probably a lot higher than your underexaggerated claims. I can't question their bravery; but I question the system of which they are a part.

timtadams

Landscape Designer

Of course he doesnt know all 150 thousand soldiers. He is merely making a statement based on observations on a certain fraction of those. There is nothing wrong with the statement and i am inclined to agree with it. Making observations on a fraction of a population is a common technique for making assumptions and inferences on the whole population. Every survey you read of follows this, yet do you criticize every survey out there of being ludicrous? Mathematicians and scientists use surveys all the time in their studies and research.

So when you say that those 'exceptions' are probably more abundant without any evidence whatsoever, you my friend are making ludicrous statements. For all we know those exceptions could be higher or lower

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

Some inferences are more reasonable than others; and since you ask, yes i do find many surveys to be very very basic and general at best, and misleading at worst. I also objected to the manner in which he stated his opinion; something I believe we're all allowed to do here as (somewhat) mature humans. As I said, exaggerated statements to either side are wrong and equally ludicrous. Yes there are probably plenty of people in the military who genuinely try to do good things; but on the obverse there are probably very many who don't give a damn about 'doing good'. I'm not saying the military is full of hate filled, gun toting, lawless lunatics; but they aren't all cheerful, do-gooders either. Perhaps the British Army has a lower proportion of lunatics than the US Army, or maybe they aren't subject to quite the same media furor as we get over here but they certainly aren't exempt and in an Army with 150,000 soldiers, i'm fairly certain more than one or two would be scary.

And in all honesty, going into some other sovereign country without legal recourse or miles away from any legal framework with no good reason other than to 'police the world' and to be 'doing good' is, in my opinion, not actually doing good. Sure they ousted Saddam and have caused countless thousands of deaths through civil unrest, insurgency etc. Very little 'good' has come to Iraq as a result of the war effort. The soldiers are isolated in their fortified compounds and are essentially terrified of all civilians as every single one is a potential threat; so I don't see how them being isolated is helping the 'nation building' or the civilian population in general. (This is from an american/canadian perspective as we don't hear much about the UK soldiers.) If anything, they are slightly worse off than pre Saddam. Yes he was a terrible monster, No I don't think him gone without any sort of plan for the immediate and enormous vacuum of power was a smart idea. That however, has strayed from the original point that I don't believe most soldiers in the military are there because they are 'trying to do good'. Reasons would range from the naively innocent, the financial, the psychotic, and the honourable. Lots of variation I'm sure... Like I said, i can't fault their personal bravery, but I don't have to like the system they work in or some of the actions they take; nor am I required to believe that even a majority are out there really believing they are 'doing good'. If they are, then they are naive.

timtadams said:
So when you say that those 'exceptions' are probably more abundant without any evidence whatsoever, you my friend are making ludicrous statements. For all we know those exceptions could be higher or lower

http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/is ... tindex.htm

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0428-06.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Ghraib ... oner_abuse <--- I don't usually use Wiki as a 'reputable' source but there is so much source material about this that you may as well start there and move on. Where's the good there?

That's just a start from a quick google search; and while it's not comprehensive by a long stretch it is a start. Not to mention the innumerable scandals involving Blackwater (the civilian run mercenary for hire operation) and it's numerous spin offs which were until recently immune from charges of criminal misconduct and essentially murder until finally a court brought them to justice despite numerous attempts at obstruction from the US Army, Rumsfeld, the DoD and the contracting companies themselves. Not to mention Paul Bremer and his infamous Order 17: "Two days before he left Iraq, L. Paul Bremer signed "Order 17" giving all Americans associated with the CPA and the American government immunity from Iraqi law." He did not mention that the US Army and it's immense supporters would try to obstruct the bringing to justice of the contractors in America; which essentially left them free to operate as they wished without any oversight. Oops. How many dead civilians, how many people 'not doing good', how much hate and anger has that caused?

Hell in Afghanistan alone in that first war, they killed a number of Canadians in friendly fire incidents and refused to apologize or admit mistakes for years. That is a 'regrettable incident' to be sure; but doesn't make you look good to the rest of the world. Oops.

EDIT: Terribly sorry to blow this thread right off the rails. My apologies.

Cheese

Tree Surgeon

Anybody else think this poem kinda blows?

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

Yup. Sentimental tripe that I would barely class as poetry.

And I know poetry. I once wrote a haiku.

timtadams

Landscape Designer

at Alci

You speak of media coverage on the US military. The media likes to sensationalise things. Also, while the coverage would have mostly truths (i hope), it is important to remember that they cover the exceptions, otherwise it wouldnt be news. So your perception of the morals of different people in your own military may be unfairly skewed.

I was simply saying there is nothing wrong with what Defender said, i wasnt going into who is right/wrong, as we cannot know for sure. I am merely talking about the intentions/beliefs of the soldiers themselves and i dont think the original point was about soldiers following orders...

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

And I believe that the 'sensationalized media' furor is a symptom of further sickness and illness within the Armed Forces. That kind of behaviour on a large scale doesn't happen accidentally from a few bad apples.

yes this poem is crap to come back to the original, original point. Overly sentimental garbage.

Garrett

Landscape Designer

the internet just needs unplugged. stop all this recycled guilt tripping garbage.

it's on the internet it must be true!

Cyrus

Official Helper
Community Operator

the poem means nothing to me that being said.

alot of us wouldnt / dont want to go out and fight a war
many here wouldnt have bollocks here so its easy to criticise sat here playing bushtarion.

the fact is the war was misleading but it did what it was also suppose to and remove a dictatorship. i have friends and family that are in the army and i would be devastated if they were killed but id know their life would be a sacrafice in a difficult war. this isnt easy for them, fighting civilians in their own back yard with no care for themselves.

all in all i find it harsh that people are dissing the army. ofc there's the exception and you get some dickhead kicking an innocent iraqy but not everything is covered in the media, infact far from everything, you dont see news reports showing soldiers infiltrating towns and restoring democracy

the news is 90% bad stuff when will people learn? :p

Defender

Weeder

Meh, all i'm gonna say is that everyone has a right to an opinion. Whether they are right or wrong is almost impossible to know.
But i will leave you with this

THE SOLDIER
It is the Soldier,
not the reporter, who has given us freedom of press.
It is the Soldier,
not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the Soldier,
not the campus organiser, who gives us freedom to demonstrate.
It is the Soldier
who salutes the flag,
who serves beneath the flag,
and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
and lets the protestors burn the flag.

Though perhaps just more "sentimental drivel" to some, this poem does carry a very true message.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

lol or to use the phrase of Jack Nicholson in 'A Few Good Men':

Colonel Jessup said:
Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and curse the Marines; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use then as the backbone of a life trying to defend something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.