So What

Elderveld

Official Helper
Re: So What

BlackWolf said:
This is one good example of what is so terribly wrong with this game. Rules are rules, they are same for everyone and if you break rules no matter how, why or who does it you should experience same concequences. The day someone who is broking rules is getting a way with it was the day this all cheating etc. increased dramatically. Nowdays I could actually call it a big problem...
I totaly agree whit u here.

Warnings does not do enough to PREVENT cheating... cause they know they will get a warning first... and untill they get a warning, they will try and cheat their way treu the round.
Actions!, ofcourse instant locking of the account is not the rite way, but there are other forms of punishment:
- Goverment troops send to target? (Bio's/Gov Land farmers).

or there should be made some new.
- Temp lock ( 12h/24/1 week )
- Reset account to 0. no troops, all techs done removed.
- Decrease of income?

Im just thinking out loud, suggestions welcome.

BlackWolf said:
For rule you must have punishment and there are no exeptions simple as that. That is one and only way to work and it is one and only way to show this community and players of this game that they all are playing from same line and they all must follow same rules. Let it be ingame, on forums or in IRC.

Well that is how I see it.

Agreed, some people spend some serious money on this game... I myself have spend a small ammount, still its enough to openly speak i do not like the way this thing was dealt whit.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

I am sorry Elderveld but I think you have now made small mistake, I have not said that warning is not big enought concequence for breaking the rules. It was never what I meant. I just mean that there should be only 1 punishment for every rule and if you break the rule no matter who it is the punishment is same.

I have no opinion to what happend this round, hell I dont even have account... So how could I take sides. I just think that if from babysitting the punishment is warning for one then it should be warning for everyone. The extent, amount, who did it or why they did it are things that shouldnt matter at all. It is as important to punish same way people who have 2 accounts and are multing as it is to punish people with 10 multi accounts. Punishments shouldnt be different on any case.

For every crime you have punishment and no matter how little you break that rule you always get punished same way. Simple as that. I would even gladly see list of punishes somewhere. Like:
IRC:
Cursing - Warning, 10 minute ban, 1 hour ban, 1 week ban.
insulting - Warning, 10 minute ban, 1 week ban.
pasteing IDs - 1 week ban.

Ingame
babysitting - Warning, locked, ban x amount of time
multing - instantly locked & banned for rest of the round, banned for 2 rounds, banned for x rounds.
etc.

Make it simple and people wont break rules... make rules visible and people wont complain when punished.
Most of all with simple and strict rules you make sure that no one even wants to try, knowing it will eventually end up their gaming very fast.

Elderveld

Official Helper

Im not saying u did, my english is not good enough aparently;)
Just said i agree whit u, and then i am saying wat i think.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

Blackwolf said:
I have no opinion to what happend this round, hell I dont even have account... So how could I take sides. I just think that if from babysitting the punishment is warning for one then it should be warning for everyone. The extent, amount, who did it or why they did it are things that shouldnt matter at all. It is as important to punish same way people who have 2 accounts and are multing as it is to punish people with 10 multi accounts. Punishments shouldnt be different on any case.

i really dont agree with this, like i said above i think its good that azzer can look at things with a human perspective and take all factors into consideration before issuing a punishment...i think it would be a negative thing if all rules/punishments were set in stone
x

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

BlackWolf: Azzer asked for input from the community for a rulebook. Seeing as you're so devoted to the cause of 'punishment' reform, perhaps you'd care to help mark out a set of rules? I'm sure he'd appreciate the help.

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

I would really apreciate if you wouldnt like to troll/flame/ undermine your fellow forum members. If you want to participate to this conversation where Azzer asked for opinions and civilized manner discussion I feel like your post is not part of topic or anything else but to make me to respond in hostile manner.

I also think this "rulebook" has all the possible info in it that it needs, rest are either already in EULA or are not crimes to me. Also I dont really think Azzer is about to do anything about rule book so I dont feel like I need to participate to it. Thank you.

Alcibiades

Plant Geneticist

As you wish...

There should be a human element involved in the 'administration' of this game. Otherwise we'd just have a bot to administer punishments and that would be that. There are degrees to crimes and that is why Azzer is there; he has guideline rules/punishments and then alters them as he sees fit to let the 'punishment' fit the crime. I think that's perfectly reasonable, justifiable, and a good thing for this game.

A hardcoded, draconian justice system would be insane, and would provide more complaints than it would ever resolve. People wouldn't stop breaking the rules just because there was an insituted code of exacting punishments that were followed to the letter. The death penalty doesn't really stop people from commiting crimes; neither do jail sentences. What's to say this would work anymore effectively? Even less so since it's harder to catch, convict, and punish people online.

Besides, as Azzer said, i'm sure almost all of us have at one time or another come close to breaking a rule in this game, on IRC or on forums. And sometimes i've been treated with leniency when i deserved it, other times i have been treated as harshly as i deserved. Personally i see very little wrong with a 'human' element to discipline.

harriergirl

Landscape Designer

I actually think most everone is right here. Not every crime is the same and not every crime can be treated the same. However each incident of a crime needs to be punished consistently regardless of how innocent motive might be which is why warnings are almost always appropriate for a first time offender.

I also agree with a public accounting of guilty parties. Seeing who is banned and when and why and for how long helps us not only feel that the rules are being enforced but being enforced regularly and without bias. Also seeing a public accounting of cheaters would deterr potiential cheaters. New players comeing in would see this list and immediatly know that cheaters are neither welcome or tolerated.

When I was a restaraunt manager I sometimes had to "write up" my friends for not doing thier jobs. Basically I said, here was the rule, you broke it, sign your warning. It was up to them whether they wanted to be angry with me for doing my job.

I won't argue what the rules should or shouldn't be here. Only that they do need to be more consistently applied.

-HG

Twigley

Hydroponics Developer

I would like to apologise to Azlev and Elle for making my original post.
They have not cheated this round to any knoledge and deserve their win.
Shouldn't of publically said anything.