WHERE HAVE ALL THE ALLIES GONE?

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer
Re: WHERE HAVE ALL THE ALLIES GONE?

Well age 5 is coming, what is there to lose?
Azzer could remove AR from game now, remove P-solo and increase alliance size back to 20. Would be fun to see how suddenly theres 3 pages of alliances, when all solos would be rushing back to alliances.

That would really give some kicks for this round.

vlad

Harvester

BlackWolf said:
Well age 5 is coming, what is there to lose?
Azzer could remove AR from game now, remove P-solo and increase alliance size back to 20. Would be fun to see how suddenly theres 3 pages of alliances, when all solos would be rushing back to alliances.

That would really give some kicks for this round.

Best idea ive seen blackwolf make in about 3 years.
O, but not AR, as i like my AR suggestion (self promotion ftw)!

Steve_God

Official Helper

Some food for thought as to the reason for more solo players...

Poster: Azzer
Post subject: Re: AR Triggering
Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:42 pm

Official answer as of now!

Right this moment: No punishment other than those players wish to enforce themselves in a vigilante manner. In other words I won't intervene at an admin level.
Near future (this round for certain): Automated systems that track and gradually give worse "punishments" for those that are responsible for triggering AR (whether 'mutually protecting a friend' doing it, or constantly hitting solos and always triggering, though there will be exponential timers and increased timers for constantly triggering on the same ID to help seperate stupid attackers from 'triggerers'). Punishments are not defined yet but may be in the form of reduced AR levels/AR modifiers, or reduced injury rates, or both (reduced AR would obviously not affect alliance members though... ). So it will still be legal, the game will just start making your play harder & harder.

If I hadn't missed this post last year, I wouldn't have bothered starting an alliance. And this is coming from someone who prefers alliance play to solo play.

Niroth

Weeder

What I see from this thread is that "Bushtarion game system is as good as 6 years ago. But, people's satisfaction always drop like AR modifier" .

98% of my friend quit this game due to .........
Well, a lot of thing i can't finished all of those reasons with in one night.

rooney

Head Gardener

also now that allies have less members it is even less beneficial to be in one, so solo has been made comparitively stronger. bring back 18/20 man allies and the solos will slowly fall.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

rooney said:
also now that allies have less members it is even less beneficial to be in one, so solo has been made comparitively stronger. bring back 18/20 man allies and the solos will slowly fall.

And your evidence for this is...?

Alliances were disappearing when they still had an 18/20 limit. Last round my alliance portalled public with 9 members because there were so few alliances. I doubt the decrease in alliance size has much to do with the rise of solos.

Garrett

Landscape Designer

are people playing the same game as I when they post? :/

roger rabbit

Harvester

Garrett said:
so at least for visible allies there is a possible 225 players max? over 1k solo players.... solos could rule the round :/

just curious to see how many of those solos would convert to alliance play. at worst, you could end up with a playerbase of 225 players. will make you so much more cozy!

Cyrus

Official Helper
Community Operator

its not about forcing people into allis

its about making alliance play better than solo play.

remove psolo is a start

roger rabbit

Harvester

its about converting them back into allies. so yeah...i do think you would be forcing them. if you really want to see big alliance play again, then the best solution, imo, is to remove solo altogether. do it as an experiment to see how many would then join allies. if they dont come back to allies, then the game is moving to solo play as a natural progression.

but...why not ask the question, and i am saying this sincerely, what is wrong with alliance play. solos is the answer for what is wrong with allies. players move to solo because they cant stand being in allies or cannot commit to the time requirements or whatever else.

the allure of solo play is not having to answer to a "boss" or having the need to give out your personal information in order to play a game. solve that problem and you will get much more people willing to play in allies again.

removing AR, psolo, etc. is a bandaid solution. you still dont have a guarantee or a close approximation of how many players would be allied if allied play is not changed or suited to the likes of the converted ally player.

you have to solve 2 things when considering your solution: 1) how to keep your paying customers (as this is a business for Azzer) 2) how to structure ally play to make solos come back.

so, if you really want to design a solution then it might be a good idea to start referring them as "converted ally players" vs. solo. it changes your frame of mind about what you are talking about.

Garrett

Landscape Designer

any adjustment made will take time to balance out and absorb into the flow of the game...

i have to agree with those who want the psolo option removed... as much as I was for it... It's just... it's too much. I believe if we go back to normal solo or allied then that right there would be a significant upswing.

I've had my psolo rounds.. and often times i felt myself wanting an alliance, but was stuck in psolo and i wasn't restarting...

to see what removing psolo would do, i think, would give us a better picture of where to move from there.

Kariko

Planter

More freedom would be nice, i remember a time when you could defend anyone and everything! But more and more adjustments in each age is leading away from the simplicity of bushtarion.

Garrett

Landscape Designer

no i don't believe being able to defend anyone at anytime ever added value. it was the age of the powerblock. defending only those that you are supposed to be defending (pnaps for solos, mates IN your OWN alliance) should be it. that hasn't taken away and for anyone that thinks we should be able to defend anyone at anytime...

please see the door out. that's so not the thinking that is needed around here.

rooney

Head Gardener

tobapopalos said:
rooney said:

And your evidence for this is...?

Alliances were disappearing when they still had an 18/20 limit. Last round my alliance portalled public with 9 members because there were so few alliances. I doubt the decrease in alliance size has much to do with the rise of solos.

its more of a hunch :p but i suspect this because now anything other than a top 4 ally is basically suicide. anyone wanting to do well would choose solo over a small-mid ally. and 4 allys is equal to only 60 players. which means that 60 out of over a thousand players would need to go solo to do well. back when allys were bigger you could do well with less activity as well. and also this round we lost allys much quicker than the last few rounds. we started off at about 23 iirc and within 2 weeks were down to 17. this includes a few new allys so probably about 8 allys have disbanded. in one week. thats not good

Steve_God

Official Helper

And if solos continue to keep working together to bash the smaller allies as they are doing at the moment, I can see a few more alliances disbanding :?

TaO

Tree Surgeon

so deleting solo play, just so that all inactive people decide to quit the game as they are not able to be active enough to play in an alliance *almost 80% of solos are* so your losing all of them for deleting the only way to play the game...

meh, your choice, but solo is a part of the game, learn to play the game or dont talk and leave imo.

Kariko

Planter

Garrett said:
no i don't believe being able to defend anyone at anytime ever added value. it was the age of the powerblock. defending only those that you are supposed to be defending (pnaps for solos, mates IN your OWN alliance) should be it. that hasn't taken away and for anyone that thinks we should be able to defend anyone at anytime...

please see the door out. that's so not the thinking that is needed around here.

Garrett i'm aware of your hostility towards me, i was merely referencing it not saying we needed it. I'm just stating thats how it was when we had over 3k playerbase ;)

No-Dachi

Official Helper

TaO said:
meh, your choice, but solo is a part of the game, learn to play the game or dont talk and leave imo.

Yes it is a part of the game, or we wouldn't have had this discussion about removing it. And your comment is perhaps the most useless, arrogant, narrow minded and plain out stupid remark I've seen on these forums for a long while.

I know how to play this game, and I still think there is something wrong with the system. The game has evolved from a game where you were either playing with a group of friends (allies), or standing more or less alone (solo). In this game, solo was mainly used by those who needed a rounds break from the demands of competitive play.

Those who used to be few are now many. The benefits that used be non-existent has gradually been made solos powerful. The play style that used to be a survival-based stand alone style has gradually changed into a cooperative war-based play style. With cooperation and coordination comes an extended abuse of the system and raping of the lesser alliances.

When you are safer being solo than in an alliance, more people will go solo. Most players (80 % actually) feel that they are safer in as a solo than in an alliance. This is partly because of the survivability this game gives solos, and partly because of the danger the solo groups pose to lesser organized alliances.

A single player should not be able to kill a whole alliance without heavy support.
A single player should not be able to be (practically) invincible without heavy support.

This is a game of cooperation, community and fellowship, and only through continuous combined effort should this game be winnable. If you want to go rampage and win a game singlehandedly, go play a FPS game on your computer.

tobapopalos

Hydroponics Developer

No-Dachi said:
TaO said:

Yes it is a part of the game, or we wouldn't have had this discussion about removing it. And your comment is perhaps the most useless, arrogant, narrow minded and plain out stupid remark I've seen on these forums for a long while.

I can tell you haven't been around much recently :p