Head Gardener
Super Moderator
Community Operator

Elderveld

Official Helper
Re: Large Hadron Collider

Harbinger said:
Maxi said:
WOW. Protons in the LHC go up to 99.9% the velocity of light. :| For those interested, small video of how the LHC works - http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/236531/ ... werkt.html

Photons can go even quicker Maxi ;)

Yeah, on the video they say the speed of light is like the maximum speed anything can go? cant realy belive that. Im sure some 'thing' can go as fast as u can imagine.

Anyone have any vids of the LHC in action? test resuls or such???

Elderveld

Official Helper

I know that! but it is possible, or should i say... it hasn't been proven that the speed of light is tha fastest possbile, yet they say it. :evil:

Garrett

Landscape Designer

all ahead full to sweden. maximum warp. engage.

Alvestein

Garden Designer

surely if you travel faster then the speed of light you can travel back in time?

Chezz

Harvester

The problem is, you can't. As you approach the speed of light, your mass increases, and IF you reach the speed of light, you would be infinitely heavy and would need infinite energy to reach that speed! I think that this has been experimentally verified...

Also, there is another equation that shows how your sense of time changes as you move faster. When you reach the speed of light, 1 second in your perception is infinitely long time for another person who is not moving....

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

If you can actually go above the speed of light you would travel in stand still time or something. That weight thing cant exactly apply (I think). If it would then all the light we see would be infinitely heavy stuff. After all, light is moving at the speed of light all the time and seems to be doing just fine. As such must say that on theory it should be possible to reach the speed of light.

Time thing actually has to do with gravity and on that gravity bends space and time. Hell that I know anything about astro physics anyways.

Chezz

Harvester

BlackWolf said:
If it would then all the light we see would be infinitely heavy stuff. After all, light is moving at the speed of light all the time and seems to be doing just fine. As such must say that on theory it should be possible to reach the speed of light.

Since I roughly know something about this stuff, firstly light can be described as either a wave or a photon. In both cases, it is massless, and thus its mass does not increase to infinite as it moves faster, as the increase in mass is calculated by its original mass (0) multiplied by a factor.

Max

Garden Designer

Harbinger said:
Maxi said:
WOW. Protons in the LHC go up to 99.9% the velocity of light. :| For those interested, small video of how the LHC works - http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/236531/ ... werkt.html

Photons can go even quicker Maxi ;)

Just wait until Maxi learns that Neutrinos can travel even FASTER than light :D OK, so it has to be in a big tank of water underground, but it happens! And it even unleashes the mysterious Cherenkov radiation ;)

Another item of food for thought... shadows can travel faster than the speed of light o_O However they do not convey information so no 'rules' of the game are broken ;)

About CERN, I think it's a fantastic creation, although I do wish people would stop worrying about the world exploding. The cosmic rays above your head have had much higher energies but nobody is concerned about that :p

I also wish they wouldn't call the Higgs the 'God' particle, it's rather silly considering it's just a small part of the standard model that doesn't add up ^^

Hobbezak

Garden Designer

Max said:
Just wait until Maxi learns that Neutrinos can travel even FASTER than light :D

I've just started reading a book by Brian Greene, so I'm far from an expert, but wouldn't travelling faster than light be against the relativity theory of Einstein? I thought the sum of the velocity in space and the velocity in time was always 300.000km/s? :/

Max

Garden Designer

Hobbezak said:
Max said:
Just wait until Maxi learns that Neutrinos can travel even FASTER than light :D

I've just started reading a book by Brian Greene, so I'm far from an expert, but wouldn't travelling faster than light be against the relativity theory of Einstein? I thought the sum of the velocity in space and the velocity in time was always 300.000km/s? :/

Hobbezak, you are correct that nothing travels faster than light within a vacuum, in the depths of space. However, light travels slower through other media (for example, water or glass). However, Neutrinos travel at the speed of light through EVERYTHING. Therefore they travel faster than light through water :D

Chezz

Harvester

Hobbezak said:
I've just started reading a book by Brian Greene,

Just wondering, is the book you're reading called 'The Elegant Universe'?

Garrett

Landscape Designer

reading neverwhere is much more entertaining.

Chezz

Harvester

Hey, has anyone heard on the news that the LHC is suspending operation for 2 months because there has been a glitch/leak in the LHC? Hooray! Now we'll have more time to escape before a black hole is created(!)....=.=