Fortune

Harvester
Re: Best Route to Play solo

Thanks. I got wiped though :D
Gotta love the injury system though

Silence

Head Gardener

I presume by PAs? If so next time have more spike traps to help keep your assassins alive longer. Armoured LET should help the survivibility of your assassins/ninjas

Fortune

Harvester

Yeah, my spikes did survive well but i actually got hit by Gargs, Rebels and Petrols. I didnt have assassins at that point so the gargs soaked up all the hits

Silence

Head Gardener

Well I suppose its your fault for not teching quick enough :p

Im a top 50 solo SA player and have had assassins for quite a while. Your best defence is the ability to take land with NO losses and keep up with techs even though your acre count is a lot lower than the faster techers =P

I think the mistake you made was wasting so much funds on flak wars, if I may be so rude as to hazard a guess?

Fortune

Harvester

i think i wasted too much money on ninjas actually. i only had 20mill garderens but 6 million ninjas. I agree that i didnt see the importance of teching that fast :(

Turnip2k

Harvester

As a solo, you are pretty much assured to be zeroed sooner or later, and with the 35% injury rate for everyone, you will be getting raped by people at the upper end of your attack limit. Don't worry about dieing would be my advice, just enjoy the round. Once you get zeroed however, get incredibly landfat. This will allow you to replace units far more easily and AR will keep you safe for a few days.

Personally, I couldn't care less about rankings as a solo. I enjoy attacking, and thats it - weather I die or not is irrelevant as long as I have a decent setup to allow me to kill. I prefer going purely offense and not worry about defense too much if it hinders my ability to attack efficently with few losses. If you are of like mind to me, then I would reccomend going a fast firing powerful route which has gaping defensive flaws - for example, RPG, vamps, Thug PB and to a lesser extent, SO. If you want to hold onto those precious acres and that score, then you are best served as a bunker, striker or SO (although SO are going to get nailed this round due to several allies being weighted slightly heavy in SO killers due to the two pure SO alliances this round).

The way I see it is that you are going to die. End of story (unless you are a bunker and the rest of the playerbase has easier targets). The question is, how do you want to spend the time you aren't dead? Personally, I spend it attacking and causing damage, not on the defensive worring about when the next attack will come, because chances are you wont be able to do anything about it anyway. Admittedly, as an RPG or vamp solo, you are going to be getting killed more often than say a striker solo, but you can also zero people outright and not take any losses for it - which is a HUGE bonus because you can then send out attack after attack and have a constantly strong force.

Choice is yours :)

Silence

Head Gardener

Turnip, because your name is in green that makes you a official helper? If so you should be ashamed because thast all a pile of *****.

What kind of help is that! "Oh you will die anyway so dont bother" was pretty much the advice you gave.

You are supposed to help constructivly rather than give him reasons to give up :S You are a useless helper.

Back to the discussion at hand, Fortune, ignore the BS that Turnip said. SOs can still survive fine if you know what you are doing. Prepare for what might attack you.

For example at the moment the main enemy is PA, so I have stocked up on assassins and spike traps. Spike traps are there for armoured LET, not necessarily there to actually fire.

And BS that SOs will have difficult time surviving. Clearly Turnip shouldn't be a helper as he clearly doesn't know how to play well =)

Turnip2k

Harvester

I never said SO have a hard time surviving. I said that this round may be more difficult due to the fact that alliances have prepared themselves for two SO pure alliances coming at them, which means more anti SO routes. Read before you flame silence.

I never said 'don't' bother either, I simply said you had the OPTION of not caring so much about being killed and going for a slightly more offnesive route which is going to get killed a fair bit this round. Yes, it is true that you WILL die. That is not wrong. My point was how you spend the time inbetween getting killed - whilst a defensive approach and trying to best defend against your counter routes is fine, I am giving another option.

My post was not negative. Far from giving up, this way of playing is alot of fun if its what you enjoy. It is a helpful suggestion on playstyle that I wish someone had mentioned to me a while ago.

Try reading what is being written, rather than interpreting somthing in a totally obscure fashion to give you the chance to flame other people to give whatever pointless satisfaction you get from it. It doesn't make the forums a better place and doesn't help anyone.

CLem

Head Gardener

Psolo, want to be able to have attack and defensive ability is definitely SA-SO. Traps are fantastic at the start, you can get as fat as possible and with a one or two good pnaps you can tech like a demon. Then you can choose to be health killing or armour killing based later on defending on what sort of Inc you are getting. Also access to stealth harvs which can help to get land.

Silence

Head Gardener

Turnip2k said:

Well next time maybe you will remember this and give constructive help rather than some garbage about "As a solo, you are pretty much assured to be zeroed sooner or later" instead perhaps you could give suggestions to increase survivability as that was the question which was asked :eek: Shock horror!!!! :D

Turnip2k said:
It doesn't make the forums a better place and doesn't help anyone.

Whilst I may have been rude (you *are* supposed to be a helper) you will remember this and next time actually give something worth reading instead of your pessimistic views of being solo. So in theory in the long run it will actually make forums a better place :D

Garrett

Landscape Designer

the overall attitude towards solo'ing was pretty flippant.

but as the topic is best solo route - striker w/ marines is still it.

Turnip2k

Harvester

Silence said:
Turnip2k said:

Well next time maybe you will remember this and give constructive help rather than some garbage about "As a solo, you are pretty much assured to be zeroed sooner or later" instead perhaps you could give suggestions to increase survivability as that was the question which was asked :eek: Shock horror!!!! :D

I did provide constructive help. I gave an alternative option to those given before. That is constructive. I don't understand how you cant get this?

Silence said:
Turnip2k said:
It doesn't make the forums a better place and doesn't help anyone.

Whilst I may have been rude (you *are* supposed to be a helper) you will remember this and next time actually give something worth reading instead of your pessimistic views of being solo. So in theory in the long run it will actually make forums a better place :D

Just because I am a helper and you do not read my post properly, causing you to think im wrong, isn't really an excuse for rudeness is it? Again, I was being optimistic, I gave another suggestion to a solo players playstyle than had not been mentioned before. I am solo, and I enjoy it muchly - hardly grounds for pessimistic attitude?

Anywho, I'll stop this before it goes off topic. Agree with Garett that strikers with marines is a good all round route with nice attacking capability and strong defensively. You can go more offensive with RPG or somthing, but risk getting attacked yourself more - however this will give you more attacking options. To go a more defensive route would be bunkers, but that removes the ability to attack with lethals and leaves only flak hits for land.

Augustus

Head Gardener

Anywhooo, back to the topic. I would have said Puppets would fit the bill for a player with casual activity, wanting to have a couple hours of fun each day. I was Puppets last round, mainly in the top 100 and cos of the variety of units I bribed there weren't many people who would risk attacking me. Its a fun route as well, due to the learning curve of developing techniques for bribing all the different types of unit effectively......but with the BS changes to Bribing/Converting routes that goes out the window :(

I would say that Bunkers aside you're best of going Striker or Shields.

fatalforcex

Weeder

The lovely terrors keep all the INN away :D :x-mas: :x-mas: :x-mas: :x-mas: :x-mas:

Podunk

Head Gardener

I like the Vamp route as a solo. Its hard to get flakked unless by tractors and you can kill pretty much any health route out there.

Just have to watch out for armor but really, there is not a great deal of that down lower in the ranks this round. When I played vamps I got attacked only at the start of the round got wiped just once by a large robo with nothing better to do :p.

Also it gives you a huge amount of targets. Find any solo SA player and you can demolish them. :)

fatalforcex

Weeder

Sometimes thug-pb gets totally smashed by robo's. But thats life :p
But terrors ftw! keep the flak away :p

BlackWolf

Landscape Designer

m8. Theres too many routes for any TL route to be even considered to be played as solo. Half of the game is playing routes that can kill you. You will figure it out some day... hopefully game will change to better far before that.

pinpower

Landscape Designer
Super Moderator

im a solo PB this round and im finding it very very good to play as a solo...i was (until last night) top 100 and have been pretty much all round...

tbf i am staying pretty land thin and just growing very slowly, yesterday i got raped by a big robo (sending pure LET) but i did a fair amount of damage back and am almost back in the top 100 through injuries...