Virgin media Super Hub

Alvestein

Garden Designer
So recently moved into a house with 5 other people. not a particular large house, we got virgin broadband bundle with 50mb speed and the virgin media super hub.

The problem is we don't all seem to be getting decent signal around the house and we were thinking of getting something like a wireless repeater/extender/booster not really sure what they're called but don't really know enough about this whole malarky.

Also a friend said that apparently you can't use most wireless repeaters and stuff with the virgin media super hub, is this true??

Would love any info and advice on this! :)

willymchilybily

Landscape Designer
im guessing you've tried thier selfhelp steps before considering getting the booster?

Virgin Media Wireless Issues FAQ/help Thread

particularly the channel thing. I had an issue with bthomehub, but switching channel (help and technical support can tell you the best wireless channel to use for thier service) sorted it, switched to a "better channel for wireless".

ps..what wireless band you on. they say there is 2.4GHz and 5GHz....if you can use 5, and your flat mates can, then you will almost certainly have better signal strength, data transfer rates, and should be able to find a channel that works without a booster. So claims what I've read and my very limited understanding.

some unnecessary wiki info on 5GHz

sorry i cant find anything on booster incompatibility issue itself. If you can (have right router to) use the N wireless range 5GHz. you will need to make sure every one can recieve it, or gets a new wireless adaptor. Example.

"as the router transmits at a speed all connected devices can understand"....aka you mate is connected with something less than N (A-G) then the router wont transmit at the faster N 5GHz speed. and you wont get any beneficial effect, infact maybe negative effect.

Last edited:

alwaysnumb

Head Gardener
I got 1 in my house, recently my neighbours got sky and our wireless connections went to crap so I logged into it and changed auto channel selection to manual channel 6 and its all ok now everyone gets good connections.

Alvestein

Garden Designer
ahh kk, ill give it a try. we tried changing to a channel which fixed the problem for 2 of us but then 2 other laptops didnt receive any signal whatsoever. might play around to see if we can find a channel which works for everyone.

Steve_God

Official Helper
If you've got an Android phone between one of you, download a free app called 'Wifi Analyzer'.

It will show you what channels your neighbours wifi is running on, and will give you an idea of which channel is best to avoid interference from their router.

alwaysnumb

Head Gardener
ahh kk, ill give it a try. we tried changing to a channel which fixed the problem for 2 of us but then 2 other laptops didnt receive any signal whatsoever. might play around to see if we can find a channel which works for everyone.

any luck with it yet?

Alvestein

Garden Designer
fixed it, bought a repeater and popped it upstairs. in a bit of a trial period atm, i'll let you guys know how it goes once i start hard coring it up on mmorpgs again (im on freshers again atm so not using too much internet :) )