Bushtarion Forums  

Go Back   Bushtarion Forums > Bushtarion Related > Bushtarion Discussions

Old 28-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
CFalcon
Official Helper
Tree Surgeon

CFalcon is starting to catch people's eyesCFalcon is starting to catch people's eyes
Send a message via MSN to CFalcon
Default Skill?

Oddly enough this isn't a thread about how there's no skill left in the game, or how a certain group have no skill or whatever.

I'm just wondering what skill actually is? You see the word skill used all over the place (mostly people accusing others of having none), but I can't actually pin down what it is.

Activity? No, any idiot can spend hours infront of their computer.
Fast stealing? No, anyone can spam gardeners and get their alliance to cover them.
Holding on to land? No, any muppet can hit mass gurus/traps whatever.
Bounty hunting? No, there's no skill in massing one unit and sending at routes that are weak against yours.
Holding a high rank on low activity? Anyone can make themselves a less attractive target than those around them eg bunkers/mass terrors.
Organising mass attacks? Pfft, any idiot can say "mass id xxxx"
Exploiting a loophole? Just because you stumbled upon a loophole, doesn't make you a skilled player

I don't neccesarily agree with the comebacks in italics, but these are all arguements I've seen before for why these things are not skill.

So what do you all think "skill" is? Or is there no such thing as skill? Just a combination of the things listed above or more? I'm just getting slightly annoyed of people throwing this word around alot, accusing other people of not having any skill and of "just doing [insert italics from above]"
Moose-Samurai-Sadomasochism-Judgement-Tsunami-Leftovers-TheGovernment-Spiderpig-AverageJoes-Redemption-Salacious-KHaoS-Inimical-Chance-Enmity-KHaoS-NOMW-dRage Quit-Kleptomaniacs -Al'Tuin-TBA-PW-HeartCollectors
Lords of The North/Le Loup des Mers of Imperieuse/General Craufurd of the Light Division/The 95th Rifles/Darkshine/The Old Man of the Mountains/MK Ultra/Jarl Ragnar/Wyrd bid ful araed/Ultima Ratio Regum/Winter Is Coming/Forth Eorlingas/Now for Wrath. Now For Ruin
CFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
Garrett
Landscape Designer

Garrett has started the journey down Repute Road
Default Re: Skill?

I'm not going to say so much what skill is, but where some of the feelings may come from.... as it's been hinted or stated throughout many threads now.

Back in the day, imo, there used to be solid achievement. Now with the current state of injury and land capping, it's a race to gang rape.

No one person or group launches anymore until they are on the top out in front and can bully whoever is in their way. All alliances if they are near the top ranks are all signed up for marathon interracial gangbanging.

So the instances for individual achievement or standing out in the crowd is now lost. Resistances used many people to be sure, but you had ringleaders... fights would fall apart, but then someone would come out and get in a lucky shot or do something cool that would be a turning point. Everyone would talk about it and be amazed.

Now it's ok group A is highest everyone send on Tuesday at 18:00. your group pick your id's, ours is xxxx. Rinse Repeat.

There is no more planning. There is no more victory. There is only finding out who has the patience to continue the grinding until everyone else drops out.

Skill used to be in knowing your enemy. Planning their and your next moves. Trying to force them into a bad situation.

Now it's resorted to 1 bad situation and that is hitting top first and everyone spending all their time and gusto beating you the frack down.

The game's momentum is stuck in neutral. Skill is passe.
Old 28-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
DarkSider
Tree Surgeon

DarkSider has started the journey down Repute Road

Ofc percentages i use come from thin air but to show how much i belive each counts:

Skilled attacker:

20% activity
50% determination
20% intelligence
10% experience

Skilled defender:

70% activity (contactibility enters here too)
20% determination
10% common sense
0% experience

That's for the average member not for an organizer
Old 28-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
Silence
Head Gardener

Silence has travelled far down Repute Road

Taking acres whilst being a high rank AND taking few to no losses time and time again. A good player will do it whereas a poor one cannot, no matter on how active he is.
Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
f0xx
Landscape Designer

f0xx has started the journey down Repute Road

Skill has nothing to do with activity/contactability DS.

I define skill as the ability to do things better than others.

You can flak? I can also flak, but losing less flak.
You can gain land? I can gain land faster.
And so on... I hope you get the point.

And one more tihng, if you want a skill indicator then keep an eye on top 10 every round start.

I don't say that only those who are top 10 at the start are skilled, but those that are there are definately skilled.

[edit] By "round start" I mean the first 3-4 hours.
Old 28-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
Twigley
Hydroponics Developer

Twigley is starting to catch people's eyesTwigley is starting to catch people's eyesTwigley is starting to catch people's eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFalcon
Knowing when to be active takes a small about of skill and knoledge - aka knowing when your enemy is most weak.

Quote:
Fast stealing? No, anyone can spam gardeners and get their alliance to cover them.
Bs.
If anyone can do it, why do only a select few do it every round?
I tell you why = becaue they CAN and other CAN'T like f0xxy noob said.

Quote:
Knowing how much to buy, when to just lose land instead?
What if you are a route like robo?
An alliance that can hold onto land either have mass active POM or skilled at organising defence.

Quote:
Bounty hunting? No, there's no skill in massing one unit and sending at routes that are weak against yours.
Go and do it then and get to rank 1.
Knowing when to fight battles and when to attack your opponent to gain bounty and how to still be able to survive takes skill.

Quote:
There is a difference between a mass and a bash.
Look it up.
Lukey, Silence, Me, Iof imo all had the skill of being able to organise on the top alliances to take them down last round.
Ofc it was coupled with the fact it was 2 v 1 but still ... it hadnt been done to any real effect that well the other rounds.

And then it was possible for Me and Lukey to organise defence on them and the old retal we did on pestif was not only skillfull imo but funny as.
Knowing that i could send my alliance at pestif in the order they sent in and the people they sent at to steal max land meant we lost 10k acres, had no damage at our place and then stole 40 - 45k acres back while 0ing a huge robo player and a vamp in defence.
Imo that has some skill in it - most other alliances would just defend like we saw.
I saw Jizz retalling this round aswell ... good tactics.

Quote:
Exploiting a loophole? Just because you stumbled upon a loophole, doesn't make you a skilled player
Getting the most out of it does.

I know you said these might not be your opinions i am just trying to rubbish past claims!
Twigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
Polo
Super Moderator
Garden Designer

Polo has travelled far down Repute Road

Quote:
Definitely not. Activity has no refelction upon skill at all. All activity (and contactability) does is help someone finish a high rank which may make them appear skilled.
Quote:
Fast stealing while taking low losses/spending as little on flak as possible is skillful imo. Often you can hack the top 10 at the start and 8/10 will have 40mil+ flak whilst the other 2 have 10mil with just as much land (if not more).
Quote:
Depends on your route and whether you're allied or solo.
Quote:
It doesn't take skill to suicide troops on someone with a huge bounty who you happen to fire before.
Quote:
Holding a high rank on low activity? Anyone can make themselves a less attractive target than those around them eg bunkers/mass terrors.
Bunkers aside, it does take some skill to be able to buy the right troops so nobody attacks you (especially if you have a lot of land).
Quote:
Define mass? Alliance attacks don't take too much skill. But organising a resistance singlehandedly does. Organsing defence against mass attacks (mass as in 90% of your members have incoming) also takes skill, imo. With defence you have a strict time limit (1 or 2 ticks) to work out what the hell you need to do whereas with attacks you can take as long as you like.
Quote:
Depends what you mean by loophole...Using something to your advantage such as experience to become nigh-on invincible takes skill. Abusing a bug such as that insurance bug someone found in r21 does not.

I think the two most important things in this game, especially when it comes to alliance play, are common sense and the ability to follow orders without screwing up. Without those, you'll never do well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett
but Polo, the real Polo? he rocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence View Post
Finally, Polo is ofc the best mod
Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
atsanjose
Super Moderator
Landscape Designer

atsanjose has travelled far down Repute Road
Send a message via MSN to atsanjose

I think people are skilled who, dont come over here on forums and moan about every single thing they come across and dont like ingame

ow and peopleskills far exceeds all mentioned above

I tried baking a pie on your flame, but it just wasn't hot enough.
atsanjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #9
vlad
Harvester

vlad is an unknown quantity at this point

Skill is planning and knowledge to me, and being able to hold your own in any area of the game.

Firstly, i skilled player, what i call skill anyway. Is knowledgable? (spelling). They know there stuff, their routes and what does what. This comes in hand with planning.
Like polo said, you can see skill shine when you get rang at 3am, the alliance has 10/15 of its players being attacked, you can manage the defences, with little/no losses with some minor land hits (duh on that circumstances generaly), THEN rally the troops, to retall, bringing more land back, and dealing damage.
Or, organising the said attack in the first place, Placing an RPG to hit a robot, but send an SA/PoM with it to counter the RPGs counter route, then send a robot in a tick after to scare the last tickers. Spread the tactics across several targets within an alliance, spread across a few ticks, does wonders, and planning like that needs skill. Anyone with the right frame of mind can do it, but the knowledge is needed for the troop abilities.
Then we look at holding your own. I mean .. being able to perform well in an alliance, go on to win solo in private worlds and World 1, then take on a new rankin system and win that. Whilst also showing the game this can be done sat on your ass with 1hr activity a day? That is also skill
Old 28-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
BlackWolf
Landscape Designer

BlackWolf has started the journey down Repute Road

Skill is to do more with less work than majority of people can.
As such even whining can be a skill

And we shouldnt forget all this e-penis lengthening.
Old 28-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #11
No-Dachi
Official Helper
Garden Designer

No-Dachi has started the journey down Repute Road
Send a message via MSN to No-Dachi

*Leading an alliance to victory takes skill - planning, politics, perseverance, motivation, etc.
*Organizing good defence against overwhelming forces with limited players/troops/mobs requires skill.
*Organizing successful attacks (and knowing when to pull) requires skill. Whether it be political skills in terms of rallying people, or in actual tactics. Both counts, however the circumstances determines how much it counts.
*Being better than others at stealing land requires skill (obviously).
*Managing not to over defend, and use the excess troops at either countering or keeping them in case of more inc.

In terms of determining whether a player is a good player you must also take into consideration his activity and his level of knowledge. Also, people can be skillful in different areas. Knowing your own weaknesses, and by that knowing when you must ask for assistance is another thing that, in my opinion, requires skill. However, that does border on knowledge, and there is a difference between skill and knowledge, however subtle and diffuse it might be.
Old 28-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #12
Dukey
Weeder

Dukey is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Dukey

understanding that when the leader says do something, you do it immediately
Hail BW

oh and finding loopholes so you can replace the god awful bounty system, their pretty cool dudes
Canes Purgences
Desolation
Discworld
Marvel
Dukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 08:47 AM   #13
DarkSider
Tree Surgeon

DarkSider has started the journey down Repute Road

f0xx, don't follow BW expressing your opinions and own definitions like they are the ultimate truth :p

As Dachi well put it knowing how to get land, how to bounty hunt, how to defend etc it's knowledge. That comes with each player level of intelligence, common sense and experience.
Skill imho it's applied knowledge and as such matters how much you can apply your knowledge, how determined you are to do the smart moves instead knowing it's not the best thing to do but picking the less effort way.
Might not be the definition in the dictionary, but in bushtarion i think skill is the indicator of how good a player is from all points of view.

And about first hours of the round .. not sure how much of that is skill and how much is math + determination to apply it. There are plenty smart kids around who if they had the will to calculate their start would make it in top 10, just that they cba
Old 29-04-2008, 09:37 AM   #14
atsanjose
Super Moderator
Landscape Designer

atsanjose has travelled far down Repute Road
Send a message via MSN to atsanjose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSider
And about first hours of the round .. not sure how much of that is skill and how much is math + determination to apply it. There are plenty smart kids around who if they had the will to calculate their start would make it in top 10, just that they cba
true, ive been rank 1 for 3 hrs on round start.... so F0xx is 100% wrong Q.E.D.
ow and i suck at math, so Darksider is wrong too.

I tried baking a pie on your flame, but it just wasn't hot enough.
atsanjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 05:05 PM   #15
Nitrous
Head Gardener

Nitrous is an unknown quantity at this point

whats Q.E.D mean?
R23 Protest; R24 No_Credits; R26 RedTube; R27 Blackbriar; R28 Toxoplasmosis; R29 Exitlude; R30 Chance; R31 Enmity|Old Farts; R32 Spit 'N Swallow (Leader); R33 Not On My Watch; R34-35 "Quit" R36 History/Comeuppance
Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Bushtarion Forums > Bushtarion Related > Bushtarion Discussions